100 Current Events Research Paper Topics with Research Links
- How is the Trump presidency changing international relationships?
- How should the U.S. respond to cyber hacking by Russia, China, and other countries?
- Should the United States raise the minimum wage for workers?
- How can cities in the U.S. be better designed to create a safer and more economically productive community?
- Is the U.S. economy becoming stronger or weaker?
- Getting "off the grid" is a current trend. What is the benefit of becoming self-sufficient? Is it worth the cost?
- Does better health care for everyone make a better and stronger economy in the U.S.?
- Does it make sense to give U.S. citizenship to all babies born in the United States?
- Gallup polls show that Americans view Unemployment and the economy the top problem in the United States. Does evidence suggest they are right?
- What are the different sides of the current debate over immigration reform in the U.S.?
- Does the United States have a good or a poor educational system compared to the rest of the world?
- How important is it to reduce the Federal budget deficit?
- What will be the most important issues in the next Presidential election cycle?
- What is causing the increasingly high cost of healthcare in the United States?
- Should the U.S. continue using drone strikes against terrorists?
- How is the current U.S. drought going to affect the fire season and food supply?
- Should the death penalty be outlawed throughout the U.S.?
- Should the U.S. aggressively work to change towards alternative energies like solar and wind power?
- What is the best way to create new jobs in the United States to get people back to work?
- Is the United States responsible for keeping peace around the world? What role should the U.S. play in preventing or intervening in wars and abusive governments?
- Should the United States fund college education more for people? What should be the rules for repayment of loans?
- Should the United States make it easier for educated people or people with valuable skills to immigrate to the United States?
- How can the Borders of the United States be made more secure? How important is border security?
- Should it be easier for people to become United States citizens?
- What infrastructure projects should be the top domestic priority in the United States?
- How has the high incarceration rate in the United States affected the economy? What Federal and State policies have driven up this incarceration rate?
- How has the Black Lives Matter movement affected the debate about racism in the United States?
- How can police departments minimize the danger to officers from shooters?
- How can Chicago reduce the amount of violence and murders in the city?
- How can we improve the statistic that says that there is nearly a 70% chance that an African American man without a high school diploma will be imprisoned before he is 40?
Helpful News Resources
BBC News: Reliable source for international news. At the bottom of the home page, you can search by country. You can also search by topic.
New York Times: Excellent detailed articles which give interesting information and links to other sources. Particularly good for topics about the United States.
CNN News: Good for news articles and videos in the United States and internationally.
Discover Magazine: News and links to original research articles on Science topics.
- Is the International Space Station a good way to bridge differences between nations, or is it vulnerable to become a political tool?
- Are we heading towards a 3rd World War?
- Is N.A.T.O. and effective organization?
- How can the International Community prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons? How important is it that Iran not be allowed nuclear weaponry?
- What is the effect on Africa of the fact that many children have been forced to be soldiers?
- Is the EU going to survive the current economic problems countries have been having? Should the EU nations separate their economies?
- Is violence along the border of Mexico getting better?
- How can ethnic killings be stopped in Sudan?
- Is China easing up in restrictions for Religion or not? Are human rights better or worse in China than in the past?
- Should women's issues be more important in international affairs?
- Is China about to overtake the United States economically?
- What is the effect of piracy on the stability of world commerce? How important is it to stop African pirates?
- Is there a better way to fight the war against drugs internationally?
- Is China starting to deal with their pollution problem?
- How has social media helped influence the world in a positive way?
- Is India a poor nation or an emerging superpower?
- How can we stop the world population from reaching 9 billion in 2050? Is it important to work to limit the world population growth?
- Should the world follow Bhutan's development model?
- How healthy is the Indian Judicial System?
- Why do African nations have so many civil wars?
- Has foreign aid hurt Africa more than helping it?
- How has the influence of western medias hurt underdeveloped nations?
- Does Colonialism still affect the nations that were colonized? Pick a nation and explain the continuing problems in that nation due to the history of being colonized.
- How has life changed in Syria during the continued civil war?
- What is the current prospect for peace between Israel and the Palestinians?
Articles on World Politics
Global Issues: Information and links for many different world topics. Click on a topic to find links to research articles.
CNN blog post by Janet Fleischman argues that the international outcry about the abduction of the schoolgirls in Nigeria should be a reminder that the United States and other nations need to focus on policy changes which promote women's issues and rights.
International Comparison Program data report on the comparison of the size of World Economies.
- Should college football players receive a salary or other compensation for their playing?
- Should an owner of a professional team be held accountable for comments he makes in a private conversation?
- Is it worth it for a city to invest in building a bigger and better stadium for their professional sports team?
- What is the value of a college sports team for a college? How does this help the college in terms of getting financial support from alumni? Attracting students? Supporting the economy of their community?
- What is the difference between sports and entertainment?
- How have the new technologies made watching sports different? Is the experience of watching sports better or worse than it was before?
- Which is more interesting to watch, college or professional sports?
- What sports should be taken out or added to the Olympic games?
- Should performance enhancing drugs be allowed in sports? What should be the rules about these drugs? Should athletes who used them in the past before they were outlawed be prevented from being entered into Hall of Fame?
- Is racism in sports a problem?
- Should athletes protest racism in America by not participating in the National Anthem or Pledge of Allegiance?
- Is participating in organized sports a good or bad idea for young people?
- Is it better for young people to specialize in one sport from a young age? Or should they try a variety of sports?
- Choose your favorite sport. What is the best way for coaches to identify the best talent in their specific sport? Are there better ways to pick a team?
- How much of a role to parents play in developing top talent in their children? What is the best way parents can help develop their children's sports career? What are the worst mistakes parents make?
- Can fan-owned teams solve sports problems?
Media and Entertainment
- How has Twitter changed Entertainment news? What are the most recent scandals made bigger because of Tweets?
- Is it inevitable that teenage stars eventually turn to drugs, alcohol or other destructive behavior?
- Are female stars fighting back effectively against being judged by their looks, and especially by their weight?
- Which celebrity does the best job of seeming to be authentic? Is there a celebrity who seems to be as nice as they appear? How can fans know?
- How have shows like "Project Runway" influenced fashion? Have they motivated people to become more creative and personal in what they wear?
- In what way does the attention of the media on religious figures like The Pope affect the way they behave?
- Are the recent Christian movies helping win the culture wars?
- Why are cooking shows like "Chopped" popular?
- What is the best recent film adapted from a novel?
- What are the best movies of the current year? Do the Academy Awards winners reflect the very best movies?
- Is recap culture hurting television?
- Recently, scripts from pro-wrestling have been released showing that the storyline is written even though the wrestling is improved. Analyze how pro-wrestling is similar to other forms of live or taped entertainment.
- Which current actors from Bollywood or other film industry outside of the U.S. seem most likely to make it big in Hollywood?
- Does getting involved in a scandal hurt or help a celebrities career?
- Does being on American Idol, The Voice or other singing contest really help an artist's career? Do winners do better than other contestants?
- Pick one of the current Reality T.V. shows to investigate. How "Real" are these shows? What is done for entertainment value more than for depicting real life? Do these shows hurt or help the people on them?
- What current ideas are scientists researching to eliminate the problem of malaria?
- How is light being used to treat cancer and other diseases?
- Can 3-D printing be used for creating artificial hips and knees for joint replacement?
- How can looking at how the human brain functions help scientists create a better computer?
- Scientists have been observing theevolution of a stick insect in California into two different species. What is the best current scientific evidence supporting and explaining the process of the evolution of species?
- Experts are warning that the deep ocean is being damaged by fishing, mining, and industry. What is the damage being done? Why is this important?
- Are the new techniques for mining natural gas going to be better or worse for the environment? What is the danger of fracking?
- What is the current evidence that impact from comets or asteroids has significantly impacted the weather and ecology of the earth?
- What is the current evidence that Mars has had water and maybe life?
- What is the current genetic and fossil evidence that chickens, dogs, and other domestic animals were much different even a few hundred years ago? How have humans bred domestic animals to be different from their original wild counterparts?
- Is Global Warming or climate change something that humans can do something about?
Health and Medicine
- Are E-Cigarettes less harmful than smoking?
- Why do people oppose the Affordable Care Act?
- Does spending time on media cause children to have mental health problems?
- How is the job of frontline health workers like pharmacists, nurses and doctors going to change?
- Is it possible to get AIDS infection rates to zero?
- What is preventing the world from eradicating polio?
- How are new technologies changing health care?
- What are the current trends in research about helping people break out of addictive behaviors?
- Traditional Chinese Medicine birth practices like eating the placenta (which in Western countries is usually encapsulated by being steamed dried and ground into pills) are becoming popular among some celebrities. What is the benefit of this practice? Is there any scientific evidence it works?
- Does making a city a "no smoking zone" really benefit health? Does it stop people from smoking, or help them quit? Does it result in fewer smokers in that city?
- What is the best diet for people with heart disease in their family history?
- The length of the average life continues to increase. What does current research say about the best lifestyle for someone who wants to live to be 100?
- Research is finding that what we think a medicine or food will do sometimes affects the way our body reacts. What is the evidence that our mind controls our body?
- Current health food trends include eating "super foods" or going "gluten free." Take a current food trend and investigate the scientific evidence that this helps people have better health.
- What is the benefit of taking a daily low dose of Aspirin for older people?
Questions & Answers
What do you think of, "Are we on the brink of a 3rd World War?" as a current event research paper topic?
Here are other topics along that line:
1. Are the actions and words of U.S. President Donald Trump making the world more or less likely to go to war?
2. Would the 3rd World War be a trade war?
3. What is the greatest danger of war in the world right now?Helpful 25
What do you think of the following current events research paper topic question: "Is the International Space Station a good way to bridge differences between nations, or is it vulnerable to become a political tool"?
That is a good topic question. Here are a couple of others:
1. What is the importance of the International Space Station?
2. Is the International Space Station worth the cost?Helpful 7
What do you think of this current topic research question: "What factors have led to increasing incarcerating rates, and how have increasing incarcerations affected the U.S. socially and economically?"
You have an interesting and very important research area, but you are trying to cover a lot of ground in asking three separate questions. You are asking a cause question "What factors have led to the increasing incarceration rates?" and also two effect questions: "How have the increasing incarcerations affected the U.S. socially," and How have they affected the U.S. economically?" Any one of those questions could be a whole paper. You could use aspects of the other questions in the introduction and/or conclusion. For example, you can talk about the factors that have caused incarcerations rates to rise in the introduction and then say "How have increasing incarcerations affected the U.S?" as your topic question. Then in the body, you can either talk just about the social problems, just about the economic problems, or you can do both (but you may have to do a lot of extra research for that. A natural conclusion would be to talk about how we can change this situation.Helpful 4
Why is the world so bad to people who are good?
That is a good question and one that almost everyone asks at some point in their life. Current events every day tell us about people who have been harmed emotionally or physically, often as they are going about their daily tasks or jobs. Sometimes people are hurt because of their religious beliefs, their race, or just because they happened to get in the way of someone who was angry and hateful.
Even though your question is one that all of us think about, to create a good paper topic on this question would require narrowing it a bit to a particular current situation. To make a good question out of a broad idea, it can be helpful to do a Google search. For this particular question, I searched "What is the most persecuted religion today?" That would be one way to find out why some "good" people have bad things done to them. Other questions could be: "Why are so many innocent people killed by police officers?" or "Why are police officers (or soldiers, or teachers, or other people who are trying to help others) killed?, or Why are there so many bad things happening to people in Syria? The basic idea in formulating a good question for a research paper is to turn your general terms "bad people" and "good people" or "world" into something more specific.Helpful 3
What do you think of a research topic: "Are healthcare professionals becoming too reliant on technology?"
I think that is a good topic, or you could also look at the healthcare topics in this article: https://hubpages.com/academia/100-Technology-Topic...Helpful 5