100 Science Topics for Research Papers
How to Start Your Science Research Paper
Science papers are interesting to write and easy to research because there are so many current and reputable journals online.
Start by browsing through the topic questions below, then look at some of the linked articles or continue your search online with the links provided. If you don't find a topic here, you might want to look at:
100 Technology Paper Topics for Research Papers
Or if you are a student looking for a science experiment, I have posted step-by-step instructions for a variety of projects and you can find a list of links in my article: Science Fair Experiments.
Molecular biology & Genetics Topics
- Can microbial factories be an answer to the shortage of raw metals?
- Is the paleo diet (eating mostly meat) really the way prehistoric people lived? Is it the optimal diet for humans?
- Is Europe's opposition to genetically modified crops about science or economics?
- Can molecular biological research of rare genetic disorders help provide keys to understanding cancer and other illnesses? (see Laron syndrome)
- Scientists who study behavioral epigenetics suggest that traumatic experiences such as the Holocaust or the Cultural Revolution in China actually affect the DNA handed down to the next generation. Is behavioral epigenetics true? If so, how should we apply this idea?
- What is the molecular evidence that humans once interbred with Neanderthals? With other now-extinct species?
- As men age, do they pass on genetic abnormalities to their children?
- Can men's exercise positively or negatively affect the DNA traits they pass on to their children?
- Is personalized medicine based on our own genome the wave of the future?
- Is stem cell treatment really promising?
- Will researchers really be able to use genetics to help us live both longer and healthier?
Physics and Astronomy Research Ideas
- How old is the universe?
- How important is it to explore our solar system? Is space exploration really necessary?
- What is dark energy? What do we really know about the universe we live in?
- What happened in the "Big Bang?"
- What have we learned about the universe from meteorites?
- Was there ever life on Mars?
- Why is Pluto no longer a planet?
- What caused the Astroid Belt?
- What has the International Space Station discovered that is most important?
- Is it realistic that people can live on another planet?
- How will private space flight companies change the future of space exploration?
- Should the United States return to the moon and try to go to other planets?
- It has been claimed that going into space is important for scientific development. Is that true? What scientific breakthroughs have come about through the space programs?
- What is the future of commercial space flight?
- What is the likelihood that a comet will strike the earth? What is the best way to detect and stop this?
- How can we solve the problem of "space junk"?
- How have meteorites changed our view of the Universe?
- Is it likely that there is life on other planets? What would it take for a planet to have life?
- What is "Dark Matter" and why is it important?
- What are black holes?
- How has the Hubble Space Telescope changed the way we look at the Universe?
- What is Higgs Boson? Will it destroy the Universe?
- How do sunspots affect us on earth?
- How will private space flight companies change the development of space resources?
- What is the likelihood that the Earth would be struck by a large asteroid or comet like the one believed to have killed off the dinosaurs? What can we do about it?
- Should humans really make the effort to find a way to live in space or on other planets?
Help in Writing Your Science Research Paper
I have many other articles that can help you write your paper. After you have chosen your topic, you can get started writing using my other articles:
Chemistry & Biochemistry Paper Ideas
- What is the most important technological advance in medicinal chemistry this year?What is the role DNA polymerases plan in maintaining the integrity of genetic information?What are the possibilities of targeting DNA polmerases with pharmaceutical agents in cancer therapies?
- What are the top 5 chemistry careers?
- What is the best way to capture and use carbon dioxide?
- What are the chemicals that trigger allergies? How can chemists help prevent allergies?
- What is the best chemical process of microbrewing beer?
- How can atom thick graphene be used to create new technologies?
- What are the latest developments in the chemistry of adhesives?
- What are the challenges for developing environmentally-friendly plastics?
- Are chemicals from pharmaceuticals ending up in our water supply? Is this dangerous?
- How important is biocomputing and big data to the future of chemical research?
- How can the bioluminescence GFP from jellyfish be used in medical applications?
- How can metal oxides improve cell phones?
- Chemists are working on making plastics from non-petroleum products. What are some of the most promising experiements?
- How can the hardest crystal, boron nitride, be best used in practical applications?
- What is the possibility that spun sugar strands could be useful for medical purposes?
- How are clouds formed? What is the connection between chemicals in seawater and cloud formation?
- How can research on hydrophobic-hydrophilic surfaces help create chemical coatings and how would these be best used?
- What is the sugar chemistry of making candy?
- What are Biomacromolecules and why are they important?
- What are important trends in medicinal chemistry research in India?
- Why is nuclear fusion always just out of reach? Will it ever become a useful technology?
Environment and Ecology
- Is it a good idea that the U.S. has approved the release of "killer" mosquitoes to fight disease?
- Can endangered areas and animals be saved by helping local people develop alternative economies like raising tropical fish or ecotourism?
- Which of the current science fiction movies is the most plausible? (pick one or more and evaluate its representation of science)
- How well do science museums really teach science?
- Why do birds have such beautifully colored feathers?
- How are insects being used as models for miniature robots?
- Why do animals hibernate?
- Should disposable products be banned or limited?
- What is Green building? How helpful is it to the environment and is it worth the extra cost?
- Should alternative energy companies get government subsidies?
- Is offshore drilling safe?
- Is recycling metal really important??
- How important is climate change legislation?
- Is hydraulic fracking going to destroy important ecosystems?
- How can microelectronics be used to help people with chronic ailments?
- What developments in nanotechnology are currently being made for medical applications?
- What is the effect of nanotechnology on research and development of medical technologies?
- Can microelectronics inside of contact lenses help diabetics control their blood sugar?
- What is nanotechnology for medical use?
- How can "smart clothes" be used to help medical patients?
- How can nanotechnology be used to treat cancer patients?
- Do the benefits of nanotechnology for medical uses outweigh the risks?
- What are the risks of developing nanotechnology in medicine?
- How can nanotechnology be used to work with DNA?
- Should we use nanobots to produce and deliver drugs to human patients?
- Are nanofibers the answer to repairing spinal cord and brain injuries?
- Should we use nanotechnology to feed ourselves?
- What are the challenges of nanomaterials and nano designs?
- How could nanomedicine be used to better treat patients in remote regions or the developing world?
- Can nanomedicine potentially extend the human lifespan?
- Will nanotechnologies make it possible for people to live in outer space?
- How can nanotechnologies help us clean up toxic waste?
- What is nanomaterial?
- How should nanomaterial be regulated?
- How can nanotechnology improve diagnostic testing in patients?
- Can covering surfaces with nanoparticles improve airplanes, houses, and other structures?
- Is nanotechnology a viable commercial idea? Should we invest in further research and development?
- Is the desktop nanofabrication tool a viable option for low-cost, easy nanotechnology?
- Can nanomaterials be used to reduce CO2 emissions?
Nanotechnology Sources to Help You Research
- Nanomedicine Journal is an open access journal that includes abstracts of current research as well as many free articles.
- Institute of Nanotechnology includes articles on the most recent developments as well as links to information on nanotechnology and reports of commercial viability.
- PhysOrg links to many bio and medicine nanotechnology articles.
- Nanotechnology in Medicine: Huge Potential But What Are the Risks has science reviews which cover a variety of new nanotechnologies and their potential for helping people, with a discussion of the possible risks.
- Google Smart Contacts and NPR Report on Google Contacts for Diabetics: Google has developed "smart glasses" which are being tested, but the company is also interested in using microcomputers to help diabetics monitor blood sugar levels.
- Smart Clothes for Medical Uses: NPR interview on Science Friday with a scientist developing nanofibers which could be used to produce "smart clothes" to monitor patients with cancer and other medical conditions.
Agricultural Science Topics
- What kind of fertilizer is the least harmful to the environment (you can narrow this question to discuss a specific agricultural crop)?
- Why are honey bee colonies weakening and what can be done about it?
- What are the best solutions for weeds (you can add a specific crop)?
- Is the world too dependent on just a few crops?
- What is the best planting strategy for small rice farms?
- Are smaller farms more ecologically sound than larger farms?
- What is organic farming? How can it be done most successfully?
- How can high tech be used to better enhance agriculture?
- How can agricultural scientists best prepare for natural disasters? Or help best in natural disaster recovery?
- How much does enhancing photosynthesis improve crop yield?
- Why is the diversity of the crop sorghum been decreasing, and what should be done about this?
- How can the food distribution system be improved to prevent food waste?
- How can harmful algal blooms be prevented?
- How can antibiotic use in agriculture be reduced?
- Is specialization a better strategy for farmers?
- What are the best strategies for farming in areas of water scarcity?
- Why doesn't rising global food production feed people who are hungry?
- How can family farmers and small-scale farms be helped to raise better crops?
- Are native crops better? How can farmers be encouraged to use them?
- How can food crops be best made more nutritious?
- How can farmers in ______(pick a country) be more successful and productive?
- How can poultry farmers best prevent diseases like bird flu?
- How can poultry farming optimize the welfare of animals?
- How can poultry (beef or pork) farmers find solutions to reduce environmental footprints?
- How can poultry (beef or pork) farmers find the best solutions to increase or sustain their production levels? What are those solutions and how can farmers be encouraged to follow those best practices?
- Is stem cell research ethical?
- Is health care ready for the routine screening of patient DNA?
- What is a chimera and how could it help stem cell research?
- What are the potential benefits and risks of stem cell research?
- Are microbes that create chemicals and antibiotics going to help us prevent infections?
- What is the best treatment for leukemia?
- How will wearable medical devices transform healthcare?
- Can scientists cure diseases by building new organs?
- What is gene therapy?
- What causes skin cancer?
- What is the best strategy for people to avoid getting cancer?
- Which cancers are we closest to finding cures for?
- What has been the impact of colonoscopy testing on colon cancer rates?
- Why do so many women get breast cancer?
- Why is malaria such a difficult disease to eliminate?
- Will global warming make tropical diseases like malaria and dengue fever travel north?
- What is the best strategy to slow the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases?
- Why doesn't the flu vaccine work all the time?
- How likely is it that a pandemic will arise that will kill large numbers of people in the world?
- Is it possible to predict the next pandemic?
- How well do childhood vaccines prevent diseases?
- What is the West Nile virus?
- Why do people get epilepsy? How can it best be treated?
- Do doctors rely too much on expensive medical imaging technologies?
- Do microbes cause Alzheimer's disease?
- Can memory loss and dementia be prevented?
- How do cells protect the body from disease?
- Does Chinese traditional medicine work better than Western medicine in some cases?
- What is the best indicator of an increased risk of heart disease?
- Are annual doctor's check-ups really necessary? Are they really the best way to help people stay healthy?
- Why are some diseases that we thought we had eradicated (like the measles or whooping cough) returning to infect people?
Is it beneficial or harmful for wild animals to have interactions with people?
Robotics and Computer Science Topics
- Can robots be used to help kill invasive species?
- How can robotic exosuits be used in industry and business for training and increasing production?
- How are robots going to improve medicine?
- A robot can now perform a routine colonoscopy. What is the future of surgical robots?
- How will self-driving cars change the way people live?
- Will delivery drones be bringing us our pizza and mail?
- Is using drones for warfare a good or bad idea?
- How can research on improving the artificial intelligence in robots teach us more about ourselves?
- What is hacking? Is it always bad?
- Can using system like bitcom help protect identity theft?
- What is the future of computing and artificial intelligence?
- What are the important issues about privacy and big data?
- How is bioinformatics transforming biology?
- How can mining big data in the healthcare industry make us healthier?
- How can computer science programs and games like Eyewire help us understand the brain?
Health Science Research Sources
- Science: A premier publication in the field, Science has peer-reviewed research as well as information that is curated by experts.
- Nature: Publishes peer-reviewed articles on biology, environment, health and physical sciences. Nature is an authoritative source for current information. If articles are difficult to read, you can search for the same information in one of the more popular journals online.
- Los Angeles Times Science and Health: This online science news source offers readable articles on many of the most current science topics. You can find good ideas for topics here as well as research for your own paper. If you are required to get peer-reviewed articles, then you can search here for easy-to-read summaries and then look up the original articles online or in the library.
- Live Science Health: You can search this site for articles on science topics, including health science. This site often gives you links to original articles and government reports that can help you do your research.
- Medical News Today: Contains over 250,000 articles on a variety of health topics. This site gives concise explanations of current research along with links to original papers or other information to help you further your research ideas. You can email or print the articles on this site and find out if they are from academic publications.
Current Medical Research Questions
- What technologies are in development to help people who are paralyzed?
- How does sleep deprivation affect health?
- Should sugar be regulated like a drug?
- What are the benefits and disadvantages of individual genome profiling?
- What is the Human Connectome Project and how will mapping of the human brain contribute to scientific knowledge?
- Are some cancers caused by genes?
- Who are the Denisovans and how does their discovery alter our view of human evolution?
- Can we develop an anti-cancer vaccine?
- What can we do about crops which absorb toxins, such as the recent discovery of arsenic-tainted rice?
- What is the ideal weight for longevity? What is the connection between diet and lifespan?
- What is Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)? Are we really in a post-antibiotic era as the CDC recently announced? What does this mean?
- Should scientific publication and grant systems be changed to give private citizens and younger scientists a voice if they have good ideas?
- Which diet choice is better: low fat, low sugar, or low carbs?
- How can polio be eradicated? Why has the disease resurfaced?
- How important are the bacteria living in your bowels?
- How close are computers to mimicking the human brain?
- How can video games be used to solve scientific problems?
- Do cell phones or microwaves cause cancer?
Psychology and Neurobiology Issues
- Is autism a kind of brain damage?
- How can we help autistic savants become productive members of society?
- Why do we sleep? How much sleep do we really need?
- How is sleep related to memory?
- How did human speech develop? Are there clues we can find in researching primate social interactions?
- How do we remember things? How reliable are our memories in recalling how things really happened?
- What is the importance of time and space in brain development and disease?
- Why do mothers protect their young and even risk their lives?
- How does our brain really work?
- What is mental illness? Is there something we can learn from these different sorts of mental states?
- How does language reveal stress responses?
Your Science Interest
Which of the following areas of science research do you find most interesting?
Questions & Answers
I am a grade twelve student. I'm having difficulty formulating a research question in STEM. Can you make a suggestion?
Any of the topics on this page of research questions would make a good question for a grade 12 project. For more help in choosing an idea, you can look at my information about technology topics. Since I don't know your interests and background, I can't choose a topic for you, but I suggest you follow these guidelines:
1. Choose 2-3 questions that seem the most interesting to you.
2. Research for 5-15 minutes on the Internet on each of the topics you've chosen.
3. Usually, after about 15 minutes of looking at what is available on that topic, you will discover that one of the topics you've chosen is more interesting, or has more information easily available. That is the best one to choose.
4. If you don't find a good topic in the first search, then pick another 2-3 topics and try again.Helpful 155
What are the best topics for animal health (mainly cattle, goats and poultry) for an undergraduate animal science student?
How can modification of poultry, or eggs enhance human health?
How can we improve the dairy cattle health in developing nations (you can pick a particular nation if you want)?
What are the best practices for keeping goats healthy?
Should antibiotics be used?
What is the evidence for or against free-range chickens being better and healthier?
Which vaccines are most valuable for the health of (chicken, goats or poultry)?Helpful 4
What are some botany topic questions for a research paper?
1. How important was the "green revolution?" How is it continuing?
2. How has the anti-GMO movement affected the development of crops with better nutrition and better drought resistance?
3. What can be done to stop crop diseases from causing people to starve?
4. What are the best techniques to change crops to become more drought resistant?
5. How can we get people to eat a greater diversity of crops?Helpful 4
Any suggestions for a research study at grade 9 level?
See my science fair articles which tell a number of interesting projects. Inside of each article, there are various ideas to try.
Checking to see what makes flowers last the longest: https://wehavekids.com/education/Science-Fair-Proj...
Robot Project: https://wehavekids.com/education/Science-Fair-Proj...
Sports medicine flexibility project: https://wehavekids.com/education/Sports-Medicine-S...Helpful 6
I want to research agricultural chemistry, can you please suggest some topics?
1. How can pesticide use be reduced?
2. How can current fertilizer use be improved?
3. Is burning plant litter the best way to clear land?
4. What is the best way to increase rice yields on small farms?
5. What is the best way to get rid of apple snails in rice fields?