Virginia has been a university English instructor for over 20 years. She specializes in helping people write essays faster and easier.
Will You Be a Problem Solver?
Every year, technological devices become faster, smaller, and smarter. In fact, your cell phone holds more information than the room-sized computers that sent a man to the moon!
In my essay Can Today's College Students Solve World Problems? I talk about how advances like the green revolution and more fuel-efficient cars solved many of the problems I worried about as a college freshman in 1979. Yet these new solutions also cause new problems. For example, the invention of the gasoline engine made travel faster and easier but also raised concerns about air pollution and global warming.
This generation has many problems to solve, but as I've worked with college students over the last 25 years, I know they are poised and ready to be problem solvers. My goal in writing this article is to motivate students to research problems they really care about so that they will be poised to find creative and innovative solutions for our future. Below, you will find many questions, ideas, links, research, and videos to get you started on your research essay.
This Article Includes
Steps for Researching
How to Write Your Paper
Over 100 Tech Topics:
4. Genetic Engineering
5. Technical Experiments on Humans
6. Relationships and Media
8. Information and Communication Tech
9. Computer Science and Robotics
Steps in Researching
- Understand your Research Assignment: What kind of a research paper has your instructor assigned? Re-read your assignment sheet and any information in the textbook. For example, I ask my students to choose a technology topic for a Summary, Analysis, and Response essay which asks them to research three or more perspectives on an issue.
- Find a Topic Idea: Look over the topic lists below to find a question that interests you. For an Exploratory paper, you will need a topic that has three or more perspectives to explore. If you are doing a Position, Argument, or a Cause paper, you will need to know the different perspectives, but you will use your answer to the question as your thesis statement.
- Read about the Topic: Once you find one you like, you can learn more about that issue by looking at some of the hyperlinked articles. You can look for more research articles at your school library or online at Google Scholar. Additionally, check science magazines for a non-technical audience like Discover, Scientific American, or Popular Scientist. Science Daily is a good website to check for breaking news and research.
- Choose a Question to Research: After you find a topic idea you like, write out the question and make a list of other similar issues or words you could use as keywords to research. You can use the other questions on the topic list to help you out.
- Use Your Keyword Ideas to Look for Articles: You can start by looking through a search engine to see what you can find, but don't use articles that don't fit the type of authoritative sources your instructor requires.
- Use Links to Find Good Sources: One hint is to follow the links in articles that are written for a non-specialist that go to the original sources and research articles. You can also use your library resources to find more academic articles.
- Follow my instructions in writing your essay: Easy Ways to Write a Thesis Sentence, Writing Argument Essays, and, How to Write a Paper Without Making Common Mistakes.
Here is a list of twenty starter topic ideas for research essays. See below for many more!
- What are the long-term effects of living in a technological world? Are these mostly negative or positive?
- Are children under 10 now growing up in a different world than college-age students did? How is it different, and what does that mean for them?
- What is the most important new technology for solving world problems?
- How has social media helped solve and create problems in countries outside the U.S.?
- Will governments like China and North Korea continue to be able to control citizens' access to the Internet and social media?
- How do social media, texting, cell phones, and the Internet make the world bigger? Smaller?
- What are the implications of ever-increasing globalization through technology to the global economy?
- Technology is changing so quickly that we are frequently using computers, software programs, and other technologies that have frustrating glitches and problems. Is there a solution?
- How does our experience of social interactions with other humans influence the way we interact with machines?
- When does it become morally wrong to genetically engineer your child?
- How have COVID shutdowns, virtual school, and remote work changed our relationship to technology?
- How is online education going to change the way students learn?
- Does the Internet need controls or censorship? If so, what kind?
- Do digital tools make us more or less productive at work?
- To what extent is the development of new technologies having a negative effect?
- How will technology change our lives in twenty years?
- Should people get identity chips implanted under their skin?
- Should people in all countries have equal access to technological developments?
- Can video gaming help solve world problems?
- How are brains different from computers?
- Is organic food better for you than genetically modified foods?
- What are genetically modified food technologies able to do? How does this compare with traditional plant breeding methods?
- Should genetically modified food technologies be used to solve hunger issues?
- Since it is now possible to sequence human genes to find out about possible future heath risks, is that something everyone should have done? What are the advantages or disadvantages?
- If people have genetic testing, who has the right to that information? Should healthcare companies and employers have access to that information?
- If parents have genetic information about their children, when and how should they share it with the child?
- What sort of genetic information should parents seek about their children and how might this influence raising that child?
- Are self-driving cars a good or bad idea?
- How might travel in the future be different?
- Should information technologies and Internet availability make work from home the norm?
- What is the best way for infertile couples to have a child?
- Should research into mechanical reproduction technologies be unlimited?
- What do we do about frozen embryos that won't be used by the donating couple?
- Should "adopting" frozen embryos be encouraged more widely?
- Is mechanical reproduction ethical?
- Is there a difference between raising adopted and birth children?
- How can we best take care of the problem of unwanted pregnancies?
- What makes a person a mother or a father?
- What regulation should there be on the infertility technologies?
- Should health insurance plans cover infertility technologies?
- How far is "too far" in reproductive technologies?
- Should we be trying to use cloning and surrogate parenting to bring back extinct species?
Your Gamete, Myself: An article about egg and sperm donation
- How important is it to have a genetic connection with your children?
- Do egg donors and children have rights to a relationship?
- Should egg and sperm donors be compensated?
The Curious Lives of Surrogates: Discussing the reason why some women choose to be surrogate mothers.
- Is surrogate pregnancy a good way for a couple to get a baby?
- Is it right that surrogacy is heavily advertised to military wives?
- What should the children’s rights be in the case of surrogate pregnancy?
- Should surrogates be used for any reason, or only for health reasons?
- Is it ethical for a woman to carry someone else’s child?
- Should there be regulations of international surrogacy?
The Beating Heart Donors: Discussing organ transplant procedures.
- What do we need to do in order to make organ donation a better experience for everyone involved?
- When is a person dead? How do we define death? Should there be changes in our definition of “brain death"?
- Should organ donors be given pain medications?
- Should we choose organ donation for ourselves and our loved ones?
- Do organ donors feel pain?
- What is the best method of organ replacement to solve the problem of a shortage of donors?
Read More From Owlcation
- Will regenerating human limbs be a reality in our lifetime?
- What is the best way to help people who have lost a limb?
- Is it ethical to use tissue from animals in people?
- Are using embryonic stem cells necessary, or will technological innovations make these obsolete?
- Should more funding grants from the National Institute of Health (which tend to support research projects without immediate practical applications) go to practical research projects which produce direct medical help to individuals?
- When considering war, should we factor in the medical costs of soldiers who will return wounded?
The Bypass Cure: Tells of new evidence that Gastric Bypass surgery can cure diabetes.
- What is the best way to help solve the problem of a rising number of people with Type 2 diabetes in the U.S.?
- What is the best way to treat people with morbid obesity?
- Should bypass surgeries be used as a standard cure for type 2 diabetes?
- What is the cause of the recent increase in diabetes in the U.S.?
- How much of diabetes type 2 and obesity is genetic? How much is behavioral?
- Should people with obesity and diabetes or other diseases pay more for health care?
Genetic Engineering Technologies
Genetic Engineering of Humans Research Links
- Genetically Engineering Babies with Three Parents (two short articles explaining this)
- Reverse Eugenics: Choosing an Embryo With a Disability
- Help Wanted: Adventurous Woman to Give Birth to a Neanderthal Baby
- Human Genome Project fact sheets
- Is human cloning a good or bad idea?
- Should we ban human cloning?
- What makes people human?
- What is the role of religion/faith in making decisions about using reproductive technologies?
- How does cloning change the value of human life?
- How should we best solve the problem of genetic diseases?
- Is there a point when genetic engineering has gone too far?
- Who should decide the limits of how genetic engineering is used?
- What is the best way to use the technologies of genetic engineering to help humans?
- Which genetic engineering projects should be given the most funding?
Technologies and Human Identity
Medicine, Experiments, and Human Identity
- Should human life be deemed more important than animal life?
- What is the dignity of human life and how should we observe this in medical situations?
- Who decides how far medical research should go?
- Should there be limits to the scientific investigation on humans?
DNA Test Gives Students Shock (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/13/nyregion/dna-tells-students-they-arent-who-they-thought.html?_r=0)
- What should determine our racial identity? Is it our DNA, our appearance, our choice, our family, or our cultural environment?
- How important is DNA information in forming our identity?
- Should people get Ancestry DNA testing?
- Should identifying as multi-racial be more common?
Ways to Leave Your Body: Tells about out-of-body technologies like virtual reality as well as other ways to be outside yourself.
- What is the self? Can it be found in scientific investigation?
- Does science have the final say about who we are? Will technology create an Inception effect where people will not be able to distinguish out-of-body from in-body experiences?
- How will virtual reality technology change us?
- Is virtual reality the future?
- Should there be a limit to the research on virtual reality?
- What are the uses and benefits of virtual reality technologies?
The Switched On Brain: Describes studies that are using light waves in the brain to cure psychiatric diseases.
- Is controlling brains with technology like light ethical?
- How important is it to find alternative treatments (something other than drugs) for mental illness?
- What is the best way to treat mental illness?
- Has an increase in the use of technology affected the rise of mental illness in the U.S.?
- If it were possible, should technologies be used to control drug addictions?
- Should we seek ways to control the brain with technologies?
- What are the social dangers of brain-controlling technologies?
Technology and Relationships
Is "Phubbing" Ruining Your Social Relationships? by James Roberts
- Has social media changed our relationships in a good or bad way?
- How important is it to monitor and limit our social media intake?
- Is addiction to technology something we should worry about?
- Are the distractions of using social media negatively influencing the workplace?
- Has the media hurt or helped family communication? Friendship communication? Romantic relationships?
- What is the best way to manage technology in relationships?
- What is the best way to maintain a close relationship?
When Texting is Wrong, by Randy Cohen in the New York Times.
- Is using technology in college classrooms a good or bad idea?
- What is the best way for educators to incorporate social media into their classrooms?
- What is the best way for educators to use technology to teach?
- Should there be social rules about cell phone use in schools or the workplace?
- How are technologies changing the way people interact in the workplace?
- Have texting and social media damaged this generation's ability to communicate in person?
- Do cell phones and social media make family relationships stronger?
- How has texting changed the way we communicate with one another?
- What are the dangers of texting?
- When is texting rude? Has texting made this generation less respectful of other people? Who decides?
They Loved Your G.P.A. and Then They Saw Your Tweets by Natasha Singer in the New York Times
- How should people manage their social networking profiles? How important is this?
- Should there be limits to the access a university or employer has to social profiles?
- Should teachers have limits on social networking with students?
- How should professionals use Facebook or other social media?
- Should there be more regulations on social media privacy?
- How large a role should social profiles have in hiring and other decisions?
- How justifiable is it to take legal action against someone for posts on social media sites?
Living with the Bomb in National Geographic
- How has drone warfare changed the way we think about war?
- Does increasing military technology really make us safer?
- Do more guns make people more or less safe?
- How much money should the U.S. devote to military research for better weapons?
- What would happen if someone detonated a nuclear bomb today?
- How should the U.S. and other nations deal with Iran and North Korea and their development of nuclear weapons technology?
- Should we destroy our nuclear weapons?
- How has modern warfare technology changed the way we view war?
- Has technology made the world safer or less safe?
- Should drones be used in modern warfare?
- What is the effect of taking people out of direct combat with the enemy?
- Will nanobot drones be the future of warfare?
Information Communication Technologies (ITC)
Is Google Making Us Stupid? by Nicholas Carr in the Atlantic Monthly
- Is technology changing the way we read?
- Does an online format cause readers to skim rather than fully digest information?
- Is being able to find information quickly online a good or bad thing?
- How do we gauge intelligence?
- How is Google search changing us?
- How should we change teaching to incorporate new technologies?
- How important is it that schools teach using iPads, Smart Boards, social media, and other new technologies?
- Is there an intelligence developed through conventional reading and research which is being lost in the digital age?
- If Google prefers its own brand of information, are we getting the best when we search?
Does the Internet Make You Smarter? by Clay Shirky in the Wall Street Journal
- Should there be regulation of sites such as Wikipedia which provide information that is not necessarily credible?
- Are blogs better than books?
- How necessary is teaching traditional researching skills to today’s young people?
- Do schools and parents need to encourage or discourage media use?
- How is reading digitally different than reading print?
- Is the digital generation going to be smarter or dumber?
- Is Google affecting the attention span of young people?
- Is using technology for entertainment a bad thing?
Information Storage (see videos)
- How can storing information on DNA create new information system technologies?
- Are there any ethical objections to using DNA for storage?
- Is unlimited data storage a good thing? How can humans manage these large amounts of information?
- Should we worry about the fact that the line between the human brain and a computer is getting blurred? Is it a problem that computers will soon be able to think?
- Should we build robots to do many of the tasks people don't like to do? How relevant is the Wall-E scenario for our future?
Computer Science and Robotics
- Where is the hardware and software borderline in cloud computing?
- What will be the consequences of everything moving into the cloud?
- Can reinforcement learning teach robots to be more intelligent and more like humans?
- Since open-source is becoming more of a trend in computer science, how can computer programmers be able to protect a device?
- How will big data and bioinformatics change biology?
- What is machine learning? How important is it?
- Where will machine learning have the most impact?
- How will virtualization change entertainment?
- How will virtual reality change education?
- Is virtual reality a good or bad thing?
- What is the next level for the Internet? How can the Internet be changed to make it better?
- If computers take over many of our tasks, what will humans do?
- Which computer languages are going to be most important in the future?
- If there is a new computer language to be invented, what does it need to do to be better than the languages we now have?
- How are robots changing health care?
Five Kinds of Arguable Claims
|Claim Type||Explanation||Arguable Claim Examples: Pro Global Warming||Con Global Warming||Exploratory Essay Topics|
What is it?
Global warming is real and can be documented with scientific evidence.
Global warming is a myth.
Is global warming real?
What does it mean?
Global warming is a serious and immediate threat to human and animal life.
Even if true, global warming is not an immediate threat.
How would global warming affect us?
What caused it?
Global warming is caused by man.
Natural processes on Earth and solar flares cause temperature fluctuations on earth.
What causes temperature fluctuations on earth?
What is important and why?
Global warming is an important problem now.
Global economic stability is more important than worrying about global warming.
How important is global warming?
What should we do about it? Who should do it?
The Kyoto Protocol needs to be adopted by all nations.
The Kyoto agreements would threaten world economies.
How should the world respond to the data suggesting global warming is happening?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Questions & Answers
Question: How is digital learning going to change schools and education?
Answer: I think the question of how digital learning and the Internet is changing the way we educate and learn is perhaps one of the key investigations of our generation. Many of my students have done papers on some aspect of this topic, and they have uncovered some fascinating evidence. Some of the most exciting information involves studies which examine:
How does reading on a screen differ from reading from a print page?
Do people retain as much information from a video as from a live lecture?
Does online interaction with classmates and an instructor increase participation, especially of less extroverted students?
Does digital learning equal the playing field for underrepresented groups?
How can digital learning help people in developing nations catch up with people in developed nations?
Does digital learning help or hinder important skills like critical thinking?
How should traditional education change to keep up with digital learning?
Are students with no access to computers in the classroom (traditional learning) learning more than those who have constant access via iPads or computers?
Which is better, school-supplied digital devices or having students bring their own computer from home (assuming those without computers are supplied a school computer)?
Question: Is modern technology helping humans be more efficient or lazier?
Answer: Technology or social media topics are something that everyone wants to investigate because so many of us are worried about our own use of phone and social media. You will find a lot of research articles that will help you write this paper. Because so many of my students have done this sort of topic, I will give you a hint: the more specific you are in talking about the type of technology or behavior you are going to argue about, the better.
Question: I am tasked with writing a research article on Information technology. Do you have any suggestions?
Answer: Many of the topics in this article involve using information technology. To find a good topic, I'd suggest you start with the section which is labeled "Information and communication tech," but if you don't find anything there, you should look through the other sections for a topic which involves computers.
Question: Can you suggest a topic about computers and defense for a research paper?
Answer: 1. What is the role of computers in air defense?
2. What is the most important use of drones in warfare currently?
3. Does computer control of our defense systems make us more vulnerable?
4. How does the military prevent hacking attempts on their computer systems?
Question: What do you think of, "How does incorporating information technologies in the classroom affect students?" as a research paper topic?
Answer: Here are some other topic ideas:
1. Do students learn better when information technologies are incorporated in the classroom?
2. Is there a "best age" for introducing information technologies in the classroom?
3. How can information technologies be best used by teachers to enhance learning?
Question: Can you suggest questions on technology and international law?
Answer: 1. To what degree should companies be held liable for statements made by a hacked chatbot?
2. How can elections be protected from international interference through technology and media?
3. Will Blockchains's "Smart Contracts" cause problems?
4. How will DNA data storing cause problems with liability, IP protection, and other international legal issues, especially if someone puts it in their body?
5. Who should regulate cryptocurrency?
Question: Is the correlation between mathematics and music a legitimate research project?
Answer: Yes. Here are some ways to formulate that question:
1. What is the relationship between mathematics and music?
2. Is there a link between mathematics and music?
3. Should students try to study both math and music in college?
Question: Is there a type of intelligence developed through conventional reading and research which is being lost in the digital age?
Answer: Excellent question. Many of my students have been researching this topic recently. "Is Google Making Me Stupid" is a good article to start with in researching this topic.
Question: What do you think of the topic, "Do cell phones and social media make family relationships stronger?" for a research paper?
Answer: That seems to be a topic answer. I'd suggest you make the question more neutral:
1. How have cell phones and social media changed family relationships?
Question: What do you think of the topic, "How are robots changing healthcare?" for a technology research paper?
Answer: Here are some other questions about robots and healthcare:
How can doctors save time by using robots?
Can robots effectively help doctors give better health care in remote areas?
What is the best use of robots in healthcare?
Will robots eventually replace doctors?
Is robotic surgery better?
Question: What do you think of the topics, "Has media hurt or helped family communication?" and "Has it interfered with communication between friends?" for technology research papers?
Answer: You could combine these ideas with one of the questions below:
1. What has been the effect on personal relationships of an increasing reliance on social media to communicate?
2. How are young people's relationships changing because of social media?
3. Does social media interfere or help face-to-face communication?
4. How can we use social media effectively to enhance our personal relationships with family and friends?
Question: How would the following question work as a technology research paper topic: Can the use of iPad as a tool enhance children's social interactive skills?
Answer: Here are other topics on that subject:
1. How are schools effectively using iPads in the classroom?
2. Will using iPads in schools help or hurt children's social skills?
3. Can iPads help create a more interactive classroom environment?
Question: Do you have any suggestions for the technology essay topic "How can the impact of digital advertising be assessed in developing countries?"
Answer: That is an interesting problem solution question. Here are some other possible questions on the same topic:
What is the impact of digital advertising in developing countries?
How can small businesses use digital advertising effectively?
What types of digital advertising are most successful in developing countries?
Can digital advertising be used to solve social problems in developing countries? I know some studies are being done about this last topic, and there is the wonderful example of the "Dumb Ways to Die" campaign which reached worldwide notoriety by using a catchy tune to urge people not to do things that would cause them to be hit by a train.
Question: What do you think of "When will we have robots?" as a topic?
Answer: You have an interesting question but I think that it might be even better if you elaborated a bit more. Here are some possibilities:
Will robots ever be a part of the family?
Will robots take over most human jobs in factories?
What industries and jobs are most likely to be done by robots in the future?
Will robots replace humans as caretakers of the young and old?
Will robots become as intelligent as humans?
Are human-like robotic androids a real possibility in the future?
Will robots ever be able to do everything humans can do?
When will the average person have a personal robot?
Are devices like "robotic vacuum cleaners" and Alexa really robots?
What is a robot?
Question: Can you suggest a topic about automotive technology?
Answer: 1. How will electric cars change automotive technology?
2. How will driverless cars influence automotive technology?
3. What is the biggest challenge now in the automotive technology industry?
4. What is the outlook for jobs in the automotive technology industry in (country name)?
5. Should students consider automotive technology for their careers?
Question: My assignment was to choose a technology to question in my final project. I chose chip implantation in humans. Is this a sound topic?
Answer: A paper about chip implantation in humans is an exciting and vital topic to evaluate, and since there are already some experiments being done in Sweeden and elsewhere to see how efficient and successful this technology can be, you should have some current information to use for your research. If you are critiquing this practice, you might want to consider:
Is human chip implantation an invasion of privacy?
How safe is chip implantation for humans? Consider health risks and possible allergy problems.
Should you volunteer to get a microchip? What are the advantages or disadvantages?
Will microchipping keep us safer or put our finances and personal information in danger?
Question: What do you think of "Personal devices for improving productivity at school" as a research topic?
Answer: Using a question works better for your topic. Then your personal opinion or research is the answer. Here are some ideas:
1. Will personal devices improve the productivity of students at school?
2. Should schools provide personal devices or should students bring them from home?
3. How do personal devices affect student productivity?
4. How do personal devices affect the productivity of educators?
5. How to personal electronic devices affect the modern classroom?
Additionally, you can narrow down this topic by choosing a particular age group to deal with: elementary, high school, or college.
Question: What do you think of the topic, "To what extent is the development of new technologies having a negative effect?" as a research paper?
Answer: Many of my students are worried about the negative influence of new technologies. You might want to narrow your topic to just one type of new technology to research and discuss this more effectively. Here are some ideas:
1. How are cell phones negatively affecting our lives?
2. To what extent do cell phones make teens lives worse?
3. How is having a computer making a business person's life harder?
4. How does email make the workplace less efficient?
5. What effect does social media have on the workplace?
Question: Where is the hardware and software borderline in cloud computing?
Answer: That is an interesting question. Here are some others on that topic:
1. How is cloud computing going to change the way we use computers?
2. Should companies move everything to the cloud?
Question: What do you think about sarcasm detection in social media? Do you have any suggestions about this topic?
Answer: This topic would be under the more overall topic of how social media can be improved or changed to work better. Here are some questions:
1. Will sarcasm detection make social media better for users?
2. Can sarcasm detection and other filters actually improve problems in social media use?
3. Is there a way to prevent social media to be used for personal gain or bullying?
4. How can we prevent problems in social media from ruining the platform?
5. Is there anything an individual can do to monitor their own social media use?
Question: I am tasked with writing a position paper in the "energy and environmental technology" field. Do you have any topic ideas?
Answer: How dangerous is "fracking" to the environment?
Which is worse for the environment: natural gas or coal?
How important for the environment is the development of electric cars?
Question: What do you think of the topic, "Should we destroy our nuclear weapons?" for a research paper?
Answer: Here are other topics on this idea:
1. What is the purpose of continuing to have nuclear weapons?
2. Will reducing nuclear weapons help in the process of peace?
3. What is the danger of having so many nuclear weapons?
4. How could we ensure that nuclear weapons are really destroyed?
Question: Can you please give me a topic for my concept paper?
Answer: Concept papers are also called explaining papers. Here are some topic ideas:https://owlcation.com/academia/Sample-Explain-Essa...
Question: What do you think of the research paper topic "Are memes funny or hurtful?"
Answer: That question is about the effect or importance of memes. Here are some other ways to word that idea, along with a few other questions on that topic:
1. When are memes useful?
2. Do memes serve an important social purpose?
3. When do memes go from being a humorous or helpful satire to being abusive or harmful?
4. Does satire in social media work differently than satire in print media?
5.Do memes provide an important social function on the internet?
6. How are memes a part of our modern art history?
7. How do memes reflect postmodernism?
8. How can film theory apply to memes?
Question: Can you give me some automotive topics?
Answer: 1. How will electric cars change to the automotive industry?
2. How with the Internet of Things have an impact on the automobile industry?
3. What is the "Industry 4.0" transformation and how will this affect design, manufacture, operation and factory processes for automobile production?
4. How will advanced analytics inform automobile product development?
Question: I was asked to choose a topic about something that had the long-term impact internationally. Is the advancement in military technology a good topic for a research proposal?
Answer: What kind of advancement? Why does it have an impact? Picking a question which is more narrow can make your topic better. Here are some ideas:
1. What type of military technology is going to change warfare the most in the future?
2. What is the long-term impact of military drone technology?
3. What will be the long-term impact of the nuclear capabilities of North Korea?
4. How has advancement of military technology impacted the wars in the Middle East?
Question: Can you list topics on the effect technology has had on sexual harassment?
Answer: 1. How has social media made sexual harassment better or worse?
2. Does texting increase sexual harassment at work?
3. How has technology changed the ability to claim sexual harassment?
Question: Would "Is bringing back extinct animals helpful?" be a good technology topic for a research paper?
Answer: Scientists are considering bringing back the long-extinct Wooly Mammoth, but they are also thinking about ways to perhaps revive creatures which are close to extinction, such as the western black rhino and the southern white rhino. Here are some other questions on this topic:
1. Is it possible to bring back extinct animals?
2. Why do scientists want to bring back extinct animals?
3. Are movie scenarios like "Jurrasic Park" really possible?
4. Should humans bring back extinct animals?
5. Is it ethical for humans to re-create extinct animals just to study them?
6. What are the possible dangers in bringing ancient DNA back to life?
Question: What do you think of, "What is the impact of automation and the use of technology on the auditors after 115 years?" for a technology research paper topic?
Answer: This would be a good question if you narrowed it down to a specific industry.
Simran on July 03, 2019:
I am given a research paper by my English teacher and I chose the topic of technological development and I am not coming up with any specific topic can you suggest me any specific topic related to technological development that has enabled us to make progress, innovate and communicate in a different way?
lynsey on March 30, 2019:
i really appreciate your work
but i needed a topic relating to helping the physically challenged or people with disabilities
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on March 29, 2019:
You have an interesting idea. You could broaden the topic a bit to ask “what effect does automation have on people’s jobs?” Other examples are self check-out stations automated postal machines and kiosks that let you order food.
Said Ichola on March 29, 2019:
What impact Automated Teller Machine has on the unemployment?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on February 04, 2019:
Hi Teressa, Your topic question needs to be clarified a bit. I'd suggest asking "How does the use of mobile learning technology in the classroom affect student's learning? However, I'm not sure if "mobile learning" is the correct term you want to use. I've not heard that term before. Perhaps you mean "social media," or "mobile phones?" Your answer to your question will be your thesis for the research paper. You will need to either do original research to help you answer this question, or look up the research done by others. I know that there has been research which answers both pro and con on this topic.
Theresse on February 04, 2019:
Hi! My topic is about the effect of Mobile learning Technology to students achievement. I would like to ask if this title is good for a thesis?And can I ask some suggestions regarding to a research questions? Thank you.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on January 05, 2019:
Hi Rossy, The title should be the main thing you want people to learn from your article. I'm not sure what that is from what you have written so far, so I will just guess with my suggestions:
The best way to keep your computer operating in tip-top condition.
How to Best Operate and Maintain Computers
Tips for Computer Maintenance
Rosssy on January 04, 2019:
Hi! My topic is Computer operation and maintenance . Can you suggest what would be the possible tittle?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on December 22, 2018:
Hi Tere--Developing good methodological techniques and whether you should use the mixed method is really a question you need to ask your instructor, who will be grading your work. Here are some questions that can guide you; What is the effect of using Podcasting and Video Blogs in helping students to learn? Which is better: podcasts or video blogs?
Tere on December 21, 2018:
Hi. My topic is about the effect of Podcasting and Video Blogs to the students in my research. Do you have any suggestions on how can I formulate a good methodological techniques? Can I use the mixed method? How about formulation of question problems? Thank u
Jena Quiape on December 18, 2018:
Hi can you please help me give some example of tittle about the social media for the students
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on December 18, 2018:
Nichole, here are some high school topics: https://owlcation.com/humanities/150-Argument-Essa...
Nichole Batuto on December 17, 2018:
uhm hey can you give some topic ideas about high school? or inside the school only that is not broad because this is our first time to do a baby thesis.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on December 08, 2018:
Start with a story that illustrates your thesis.
socorro50 on December 07, 2018:
Hi Virginia, I need to write on the article "Even bugs will be Bugged" the theses statement is "While Technology is making our lives easier it is compromising our Privacy", I'm having a hard time getting started and my paper is due in 3days. HELP!
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on September 26, 2018:
Hi Jebs, You will find some good topics in my article "150 English Essay Topics." You can find that by looking at my profile or using a search engine with my name and your topic.
Jebs Aviles on September 26, 2018:
Hi... Can you please help me with "Effect of Network Information Dissemination Through Social Media" research questions?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on September 13, 2018:
Hi Ibrahim--Check out my other science essay topics articles or Google my name "VirginiaLynne" with the topic you want. Here is one of them:https://owlcation.com/academia/100-Science-Topics-...
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on September 05, 2018:
Hi Paula, your best bet is to write down a list of technologies that people rely on too much, then for the 3 most interesting technologies (in your opinion) write a list of ways that people's lives are hurt by that over-reliance. You will probably find that one of the technologies gives you either more to write about, or more interesting ideas. That will help you choose a topic.
Paula Greene on September 05, 2018:
I've been asked to write a persusasive paper on modern technology that's controversial because people may or may not rely on it too much. I need to narrow this down to one facet, but having a hard time deciding on which direction to go with. The max on words is 2,500, and I tend to over write, so I really need to narrow down as much as possible. Can you help me with this?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on August 02, 2018:
Robert, you can try:
How can virtual reality help people in their daily lives?
Is virtual reality only for games and entertainment, or does it have practical uses?
How will virtual reality change education?
Robert vanderwood on August 02, 2018:
Can you please help me with virtual reality research questions?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on June 26, 2018:
Aish, here are some ideas:
1. What are the different philosophies of supply chain management?
2. How does supply chain management help businesses to function more efficiently?
3. What is the future of E-commerce?
Aish on June 23, 2018:
Can you help me for select the research topic of undergraduate level.I would like to do my research in area of E-commerce and supply chain management. So please give me simple topics for doing my research. Thank you.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on June 08, 2018:
Hi Jecah, Look under the topics for Computer Science here and in my article on Science Topics.
jecah on June 08, 2018:
Hi :) do you have any topics about Information Technology? i really need it for my capstone project. thank you
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on May 27, 2018:
Hi Nancy, I have a number of these topics in my "Science Topics" article. Here are a couple:
1. How will IT and Big Data become important in biology (or medicine)?
2. What is the top problem in creating useful artificial intelligence?
Nancy on May 24, 2018:
our teacher told us to write a litreature review about any IT (information technology and system) related topic. can u please suggest me any relevant one? thanks in advance.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on April 29, 2018:
Different kinds of medical management systems are a good topic. Your question would be something like, "What is the best way for medical record system to be set up?
secilia on April 29, 2018:
Hi , I want to develop a system on where patients will be recorded as for now their names are recorded in books. My topic is patients record management systems. Is my topic ok?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on April 16, 2018:
Secillia, you should do a question like: What is the best system for a clinic to track the visits of patients on a daily basis?
secilia on April 15, 2018:
I want to do my research in a clinic developing a system lik on how to calculate the number of patient who vista daily. My topic is calculating the number of patients who vists daily. Is my question right
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on March 08, 2018:
That is an interesting question Oni, and I think you could possibly write a good paper about that. You could actually try an even broader question: How can the Internet Of Things be used to help in disease control?
Oni Anu on March 08, 2018:
Is it possible to use Internet Of Things for disease control surveillance system?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on March 08, 2018:
Hi Paola, you are right that you need to narrow the topic and one of the ways to do this is to turn it into a question which then can have several possible answers. Your answer will be the thesis. Here are some ideas:
How can parents best monitor their children's use of media?
How much online time should children have each day?
What are the risks of using the Internet that parents need to know?
Paola on March 05, 2018:
I am trying to do a research paper on technology. The question that I came up with is: Are Parents Underestimating Children’s Risky Online
Experiences? I feel as if this question is way too broad. There are parents that are aware of how risky online experiences can be or are!
Can someone help me narrow it down?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on March 02, 2018:
Hi Layla, I think you've written two good questions. I don't know whether these would be hard to research. The first question is descriptive and would be an explaining paper. The second paper is an evaluation. You could also do something like: How has social media changed the way the government and governed people communicate? How has Twitter changed the way people think about government? Do people know more or less now about their government than before there was technology and social media?
laylalankford on March 01, 2018:
Aloha! I am looking for a research topic for Technology and Government. I came up with
How are technologies changing the way people interact with government entities.
Are cellphones and computers enabling us to communicate effectively with government.
I am not positive if these are strong topics to do a research paper on. Any advice or suggestions?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on February 22, 2018:
A variety of topics could be done on concrete civil engineering. Here are a few:
What is the best way to make concrete earthquake safe?
How is smart concrete changing the way civil engineers design their projects? Smart concrete has dormant bacteria spores along with calcium lactate which fills in cracks and self-heals the concrete.
Is smart concrete really better?
How can concrete be used in zero energy buildings?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on February 22, 2018:
Hi Sarah, you can narrow your topic by talking about either one particular kind of social network, like Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. Another way to narrow the topic is to talk about what kind of information, such as political action, current news, disaster preparedness, or even a very specific situation like school shootings.
vivek behera on February 22, 2018:
tell me some topic related to concrete technology related to civil engineering
Sarah on February 21, 2018:
Hi, I also need a help for narrowing the topic because my teacher thinks it is kind of wide. I proposed for my topic to be "The impact of social networks on dissemination of information" but he wants me to narrow it and I don't really know how.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on February 20, 2018:
Hi William, you probably want to add something about what they are hacking. If students are your focus group, then you might want to add what they hack, such as school records, or their grades.
William on February 20, 2018:
Hi, could you help me narrower the topic please? My topic is to do a research to investigate the perception of hacking among student, but my teacher say it is too wide range.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on February 19, 2018:
Hi Jencee, you could do a topic like: What is the best IT school for _____(pick an It major)?
Why do IT students need to take courses in English?
What is the difference between online and traditional IT schools?
Which IT major do most female students prefer?
How can more females be attracted to IT careers?
Jencee on February 19, 2018:
Hello, I like your ideas but I'm still having problems about choosing a research topic. Can you help me? My teacher told us to think of what we could research about IT students or IT schools.. Thank you!
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on February 11, 2018:
1. How does technology use change the way a business (state a type of business) practice?
2. What is the best new technology to develop alternative energy businesses?
3. How can using new technologies help a restaurant business improve efficiency and customer service?
Showkat Ahmed on February 11, 2018:
suggest me some topics about technologies and businesses???
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on January 21, 2018:
Hi Jerick, the science of criminology is also called forensics. The topics in this article are for research rather than experimenting. For an experiment topic, you might want to do something about trying to pick up fingerprints from different surfaces. You would have to look up how to pick up fingerprints first. This is not hard to do. My kids did this at a science museum. Then you would test different surfaces like paper, glass, wood, metal etc. The question could be "which surface is the easiest to get a clear fingerprint from?" If you do this experiment, please come back and tell me how it went!
jerick on January 21, 2018:
hi ma'am, can you help us? were constructing a topic on our research but its difficult. the instruction of our teacher is, it must be apply with experimenting based on our course and my course is about criminology. thank you
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on December 12, 2017:
Ian and Aye--I'd suggest that you look at my other articles, especially the one that gives science essay ideas.
Ian and Aye on December 12, 2017:
Hello maam! Can you help us? We are having a difficulty on choosing our topic and constructing a title for it. We are Education students major in Biology. Can you please give or suggest some qualitative research or topics? We are from Philippines and we need your help.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on December 05, 2017:
Hi Ariemar, any of the questions here would make a good title. You can shorten it a bit. I like using questions for a title because it makes the reader interested in the answer, and therefore more open to reading your paper. Perhaps you could use, "Is Social Media Use Harmful to Students?"
IBUY on November 29, 2017:
Hi. Its a wide range of good gopics but can I ask for your suggestion of research topics about engineering?
Mehak on November 06, 2017:
i want to know some useful topics about educational technology
KRISHNA MAHATO on October 22, 2017:
thanks for your topics
mae on September 18, 2017:
good topics about digital learning please.
sebastian on September 05, 2017:
marine Technology for good topic?
Meseret Tadesse from Ethiopia,wsu. on August 14, 2017:
thank! for your topics and idea.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on July 24, 2017:
Hi ASD, you would need to narrow down your topic and idea in order to find a good title. You might want to look at my other topic ideas in my other articles on Science ideas.
Philip on July 21, 2017:
This list was super helpful, there are some great ideas and topics to write about...thanks for publishing this.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on July 10, 2017:
Hi Ariane--check out my other ideas on science topics by looking at my profile or searching on the site for my other articles. Here are a few ideas: What are the advantages of Free Space Optics? How is the Philippines most vulnerable to cyber attacks? How can we better protect our data from hackers?
Ariane on July 10, 2017:
Hi good day! May I ask your help?? Help me find the best title for my research..my course is information system. About the computer system..I'm from Philippines..thank you ma'am
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on June 29, 2017:
Hi, Thea--Look at my article on Science Research Topics. Find the link either in the sidebar or on my profile page.
Thea on June 29, 2017:
I need a research topic about science. A topic which is similar to investigatory project or science project.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on June 28, 2017:
Thanks, Allie, You might want to check my article about science topics. In reality, most of chemical engineering is moving over to computational engineering and nanotechnology. So a good topic might be, "how is computational engineering changing chemical engineering" or "how is the chemical engineering profession changing?" Many colleges are actually dropping the name "chemical engineering" entirely.
Allie on June 27, 2017:
The suggested topics given are all good. But can you also please give me an example of a research topic about chemical engineering? Its for my research paper in K12.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on June 12, 2017:
Hi Mitch- for robotics and computer science topics, you might want to try: How will nanobots change biology? Are smart houses safe? Is facial recognition software making privacy impossible? How should we allow facial recognition software to be used? Is it a good idea for us to move everything to the cloud? What careers will robots take over in the next 20 years?
mitch on June 12, 2017:
can you give an example of a research topic about robots or computer science?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on March 13, 2017:
Des, for younger students, it is a good idea to pick a topic that they can research with videos as well as well as articles. I'd suggest going to YouTube and searching for educational videos on bread and pastry. That might give you some ideas. You also might want to start with a kitchen science type of approach. Then start with a question that students can look for to answer. For example, "What are the different ways to make bread around the world?" or "What are the different ways to make bread rise?" or "What is the history of sourdough bread?"
I'm Des on March 12, 2017:
Do you have some techniques in formulating research titles for specialized subjects in K to 12, most specially about bread and pastry. Your help and suggestion will be much appreciated. Thank you.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on October 07, 2016:
Hi Restituto--I have everything you would need to write a research paper here on HubPages. Look for "Problem Solution paper" and "Research Essay."
restituto on October 05, 2016:
hi! can you help me for my research paper which is all about in technology that affects in colleges student and how we solve it.. thanks!
sanjay on September 01, 2016:
super, great job. Thank you. This can be a lifesaver :)
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on June 19, 2016:
Hi Madhavi--I don't understand why you would be running out of time trying to choose a Ph.D proposal. Generally, you should be working that out with the professor in charge of your research. However, I do think that this is something that people are actually researching on right now in education and probably this could be a general topic area for your research. However, you would need a narrow and specific focus for a Ph.D. along with specific areas of learning you would be examining.
MADHAVI on June 18, 2016:
Hi,I would like to confirm about one essay topic of above mentioned...i.e..How important is it that schools teach using ipads,smart boards,social media and other new technologies?... is it a research topic which can be picked up for a phd research proposal????
PLz help me by responding immediately on this..am running out of time..
Doris James MizBejabbers from Beautiful South on February 05, 2016:
Hi, Virginia, some of these topics are just good common sense discussion, but some go very deep and beyond even human understanding. For instance, we have been discussing in a spiritual study group whether souls will be willing to occupy cloned bodies. Highly unscientific, but it might be a good paper for a theology class. Anyway, its a very interesting article and well presented. I would love to be a student today and present papers on some of these topics.
WETHEBEST on November 18, 2015:
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on October 26, 2015:
Hi Marcus. I think that some of these topics could be used for a Master's research essay, but you would have to talk with your professor about the requirements for your degree. Many of the links I've given are based on actual research articles which are published in professional journals. Since those full academic essays are hard for non-specialists to read, I use the more popular explanations of those articles. However, for a Master's thesis, you could access the original articles.
Marcus on October 26, 2015:
Are these topics suitable for Masters Level research essays?
khodadad on September 07, 2015:
christian reloxd on August 23, 2015:
mayur on June 18, 2015:
This is really useful for students as well as research people also.
jessica smith on May 27, 2015:
Hello !!! I have read your article. You shared informative tips about research papers. It will be very helpful for everyone. Thank you.
tamil on March 14, 2015:
thanks for learning about technology topic
terrycosta on January 27, 2015:
Benjamin Dalton on October 13, 2014:
Your article is imperative and quite inspiring for the people who are connected with the technology. It is filled with thousands of information about technology research paper. The subjects you have written about are just phenomenon. Looking forward some more articles based on science and technology.
Sarah Forester from Australia on February 13, 2014:
Heaps of great ideas here!
Tech Reviewer from Online on December 05, 2013:
Great article and really nicely written as well. I've shared on my Facebook & Twitter. If you are interested, I'm helping at this start up called TechReviewer.co.uk - it is entirely about technology and they are looking for new writers to submit articles. You get your work professionally edited and published and all for free so if you are interested in writing about technology give it a look! Thanks.
Rae Saylor from Australia on December 04, 2013:
THIS IS EPIC! Thanks for compiling this list, pal -- really enjoyed going over it! Voted up :)
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on November 22, 2013:
I used these topics in my 2nd semester class last year and we had great discussions as well as some terrific papers. I'm really looking forward to using them again this year.
jenp123 on November 21, 2013:
Interesting ideas! I teach with technology at lot, and I always want my students to think critically about uses, but don't always have these great questions to engage them with. Thank you, and voted up!
kazuki on July 30, 2013:
DATALOAD from Michigan on May 22, 2013:
Great work. Some of your suggestions beg to be further explored.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on May 13, 2013:
Tell me what the instructions are from your professor and I will see if I can help you.
zainy on May 13, 2013:
i have a problem there is so many confusion for selecting research paper toppic related to information technology field but i can't decide so plz help me out ,as im IT student
Andrew Spacey from Near Huddersfield, West Yorkshire,UK on April 24, 2013:
Phenomenal subject list - a great resource for those seeking ideas on controversial and regular topics.
I congratulate you on the work!
Is Google making us stupid? I like that one. I haven't made my mind up yet - only on alternate days.
Votes for this hub.
Joan Whetzel on January 30, 2013:
Great ideas from diverse subject areas. Cool.