Oyewole Folarin loves writing greeting-card messages and helping others find the words they need for life's special moments.
What to Write in a Farewell Card or Speech
Looking for farewell messages to send or email to your teacher and mentor but having trouble coming up with moving and powerful verbiage to include in a goodbye speech, card, or note? In this article, you'll find sayings that will inspire you and provide ideas for what to write or say. Express gratitude to your mentor/teacher who is retiring or leaving, and let him or her know how much you valued the time and effort they invested in you.
Here are some examples of farewell or retirement messages that you can write in a card, speech, email, or text to them to show how much you appreciate their support in helping you succeed as a professional. Get ideas or wording inspiration for your farewell speech or goodbye note from the list below, then write your own message to show how much your mentor and teacher means to you and how much you will miss him or her.
You can send these goodbye messages via text/SMS, email, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, or any of the social networking sites.
25+ Sample Farewell Messages
Here are 25+ examples of uplifting and heartfelt messages write or say to your mentor and teacher. Use these as inspiration to create your own farewell note or card.
1. I wish you had many more years to spend with us. You are special to all of us; we appreciate you, and we will greatly miss your words of wisdom and encouragement. Goodbye!
2. Words cannot express how saddened we were to hear you were retiring. You have been an inspiration to all of us in the department and a mentor we have always looked up to. We wish you the best of luck in all your future endeavors. Goodbye, my mentor!
3. You have inspired so many of us in the office to strive to do our jobs better by working as a team toward achieving the organization's goals. You have been an excellent mentor and have prepared us to continue in your footsteps. May you enjoy your retirement. Farewell!
4. It won't be the same here without a teacher like you. I hope your new job is a fun and rewarding adventure. Farewell, and thank you for being such an inspiration!
5. Not only have I enjoyed working with you, but I have also gained experience and the tools necessary to build a strong reputation and be an excellent, loyal employee. Farewell, and good luck!
6. It looks like you have an exciting new role ahead of you, but we, your mentees, still can’t believe you’re leaving us. Goodbye!
7. Thank you for the knowledge you have imparted to me. Your passion for success has no end. Thank you for always being there for me; I will miss your kind words and encouragement. Goodbye!
8. We were incredibly lucky to be among those trained during the time of an icon like you. We will truly miss your mentorship! Farewell!
9. Congratulations on your retirement! Thank you for all your years of unselfish service to our great country and for leading by example. May you continue to find success wherever you may find yourself. Goodbye, my great mentor!
10. Thank you for the knowledge and skill you have given me and continue to give each day. Thank you for helping to prepare young leaders like me for the world of tomorrow.
Read More From Owlcation
11. It has been a great pleasure to have the opportunity to be mentored by you. You are a beacon of strength and knowledge. If there were more people like you, the world would be a much better place. We are who we are today in no small part thanks to your efforts as a leader. Goodbye, and I hope to see you again soon!
12. Finding a knowledgeable and skilled teacher like you is not an easy task. I am incredibly lucky to have been given the chance to find you and connect with you. You have been my role model ever since I joined the team. Farewell, sir!
13. With your perseverance and endurance, you have inspired us to take pride in our work. May you continue to guide and inspire those around you! We appreciate everything you have done for the team, and all our best wishes are with you. Goodbye!
14. We join our colleagues in appreciating the knowledge you have imparted to us. We will always look up to you; your boldness and selflessness will always guide us. The wisdom you have passed on to us will leave a lasting impression.
15. You are a father, a hero, and my role model. All these years, you have given me inspiration, motivation, and the much-needed knowledge to excel in my chosen profession. All my best wishes are with you wherever you may go. Farewell!
16. I just wanted to let you know how delightful and fascinating it was to work with someone like you. Thank you for the time and effort you spent helping me succeed as a professional. I will always miss you and remember you.
17. I wish you nothing but success and happiness in your new role. We will miss you so much. Goodbye, and I hope you will visit us often.
18. You have been a major source of inspiration and motivation in my life. Working under your leadership has been so fulfilling. I wish you endless happiness and success in your new role. Goodbye to the greatest mentor ever!
19. The wisdom you have imparted to me is a treasure that will forever remain in my heart, and I vow to pass it on to my children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.
20. Thank you for the motivation, knowledge, and insight you have given to us and for always being there for us. We appreciate the time and effort you spent on us during your time at the company. Goodbye, and we hope to see you again soon!
21. Leaders like you are few and far between. Your knowledge, vision, wisdom, and efforts to turn this world into a place of hope and peace are of great importance to our generation. We promise to follow in your footsteps on the path to greatness. Goodbye!
22. It has been a great pleasure working with a mentor like you. I know you will be just as successful in your new role as you have been here. May you have a marvelous, enjoyable experience abroad!
23. Thank you for the support, guidance, and encouragement you have given me during my time as the regional manager of our company. Even though I’ll miss my colleagues and this wonderful company, I’m looking forward to this new role and to starting a new phase of my career. Goodbye!
24. To my esteemed friend, colleague, and mentor—I have treasured your guidance and encouragement so much. Now it's time for us to part ways; we are moving onward and upward. Goodbye, and I hope to see you soon!
25. Your ideals and work ethic have changed many lives for the better. Thank you for your sacrifices and for showing us that a goal without a plan is a mere dream. It’s a pity we don’t know how long it will take us to find someone like you to carry on your good work. Goodbye!
26. By emulating your example of sacrifice, motivation, courage, foresight, consistency, appreciation, and self-discovery, I know that I will always succeed wherever I may find myself. Thank you for the time and effort you spent mentoring me and others at the company. Goodbye!
27. Thank you for being the greatest mentor that ever lived. You are not only our teacher but also a true leader whose example we should all follow. Farewell!
30+ Positive Adjectives to Describe a Mentor or Teacher
A handwritten note of appreciation is what you need to express your heartfelt gratitude for all the valuable skills and knowledge you have gained from your teacher and mentor. Get ideas for wording your note from the sample below, then write your own unique farewell letter to your tutor, coach, or mentor.
Sample Farewell Letter to a Teacher
You are an exceptional teacher whose commitment to promoting success and excellence in the education sector is an inspiration. Thank you for all the help, support, and guidance you have given to us over the years. Your outstanding advice and efforts to bring out the best in us are immeasurable.
Thank you for being passionate about teaching future business leaders everything they needed to know. We appreciate you making your class engaging and fun, and we will never forget all your valuable contributions and useful advice.
We will really miss you and your wonderful teaching skills. As you leave the school, we wish you all the best in your future endeavors and hope you will keep in touch with us from time to time.
Students at Lagos Business School
Sample Farewell Speech
Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. First of all, I would like to thank everyone for coming today to honor and bid our mentor goodbye. No matter how difficult it is to say goodbye to someone who has put immeasurable time and effort into helping us succeed, we need to take the time to appreciate everything our mentor has done for us.
His valuable contributions to this organization and us individually will forever be remembered. Thank you for being an inspiration to all, young and old. Throughout your time with us, you’ve worked so hard to provide us with all the resources we need to succeed; you’ve always been there to help and give useful advice. We have spent many wonderful years together; however, now we must bid you adieu as you move on to the next great adventure in your career.
Words cannot express how heartbroken we were when we heard that you're leaving. You have been an inspiration to all of us and a mentor that we always look up to. It’s been a great pleasure to be a part of your success.
You are a pillar of strength and knowledge. If there were more people like you, the world would be a much better place. We are who we are today in no small part thanks to your efforts as a leader.
You used to tell us, “No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the success of those under him.” Sir, leaders like you are few and far between. The knowledge, resourcefulness, and vision you have imparted to us is a treasure that will remain in our hearts forever, and we promise to pass this wisdom on to our children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. We vow to follow in your footsteps on the path to greatness.
On behalf of my colleagues, I wish you all the very best in all your future endeavors. We will truly miss you.
Thank you very much.
8 Qualities of a Mentor to Highlight in a Letter or Speech
Your positive attitude and willingness to show up every day and give 100% to the role was an inspiration to all of us.
Ability to provide constructive feedback
Our team truly appreciated your ability to deliver constructive feedback in a way that was both positive and honest—your witty yet straightforward delivery and clever insights will be greatly missed.
Willingness to share skills
You never hesitated to respond to a question or show how you achieved a result, and as a result, you were a true teacher and mentor to everyone on the team.
Values the opinions of others
You always welcomed feedback and valued the opinions of each and every person on the team—what an incredible leader and mentor.
Acts as a role model
I truly admire your work ethic and the way in which you always acted with honesty, integrity, and determination. You were an excellent role model for everyone at the company.
Enthusiastic about learning
Throughout your tenure at the firm, we were all blown away by your constant desire to grow and improve. You never stopped learning and took every opportunity to acquire a new skill or take on a new project—what an inspiration!
Respected by others in the field
Not only were you an inspiration to our team, but you also spent your career impressing others in the field and building a name for yourself and the company. You are truly respected by all and a gem of a mentor.
Sets and meets professional goals
Your work output has always been prolific and your productivity legendary. You are a visionary, and your work ethic has inspired others throughout your time at the company. You will be sorely missed!
Gift Ideas for a Retiring Teacher or Mentor
While expressing your gratitude with words is certainly the gold standard, an accompanying gift can be a nice touch. Here are a few ideas for thoughtful gifts to give a teacher or mentor who is retiring or leaving:
- Personalized/inscribed gifts: These might include an inscribed watch, necklace, bracelet, glass apple, mug, shirt, or pillow.
- Books: Leisure books, travel journals, or any books you think would be of interest to your mentor are excellent gift options.
- Special interest items: Whether they're interested in fishing, golfing, crafting, or some other hobby, buying them a present, gift card, or book on their topic of interest is sure to bring them joy.
- Classes or lessons: Purchase sailing lessons, cooking classes, or something else you know will make them happy.
- Gift cards or baskets: Gift cards or baskets are a pretty solid option that everyone enjoys. You'll get bonus points if the gift card is to their favorite restaurant or store.
- Food baskets or wine: Depending on your retiring teacher or mentor's taste, you might put together a nice basket of chocolate treats or an excellent bottle of wine.
- Something homemade: Finally, the best choice is something sweet, touching, and homemade, such as a scrapbook filled with their accomplishments in the role or photos with coworkers. Give them something they will treasure in their retirement that will bring fond memories of those they spent their career mentoring.
Saying Goodbye Is Hard
Saying goodbye to a beloved teacher or mentor can be challenging. If you have any additional suggestions for goodbye or thank-you notes for mentors, please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below!
© 2016 Oyewole Folarin
Eric on October 30, 2019:
Oluwadepo Victor on May 27, 2019:
They are very lovely farewell messages.
I hope that you continue.
God bless you.
Fizza on March 18, 2019:
This is amazing
Anjali p on November 27, 2018:
Very helpful. thank you.
Ankitha.s on September 09, 2018:
Teacher is best part of my life
Ruthma on May 24, 2018:
Infinite excellent ......... A big thanks to the author who wrote this incredible speech.
Brida on May 08, 2018:
It's very helpful...
Kim Hyo Seok on March 18, 2018:
this all make me cry about my pt
an dime on March 17, 2018:
thank you it was helpful speech
Aafrin on February 21, 2018:
Thanks for this really it's very helpful
linda on January 30, 2018:
thanks a lot. i really found this helpful.
Ellen Liederman on November 29, 2017:
very helpful when you are placed on the spot.
Nyandayomkhonto on August 28, 2017:
thank you very much indeed its the best
uma on August 20, 2017: