S. Davies is an adult educator and business skills teacher. She believes everyone should have access to a college education.
Are You an Introvert?
Being an introvert doesn't mean that you are shy, or that you don't have any social skills. In fact, introverts can be great conversationalists in the right environment. Introverts are great at noticing details, which can make it easy to find something to talk about, even with a complete stranger.
As the video below shows, whether you are an introvert or extrovert is not defined by whether you're introspective or outgoing. Rather, your personality type is defined by what energizes you. Do you get your energy from being in a fast-paced, loud environment such as a wild party or an outdoor team sports event? If you find that that kind of setting wears you out, you are likely an introvert. On the other hand, if kicking back with a few friends and even some acquaintances or strangers over pizza and a movie in your rec room sounds like a fun night, then you're likely an introvert. The quieter, less crowded social scene is what appeals the most to introverts.
Here are some common signs that you may be an introvert:
- You are thoughtful, introspective, and self-aware. You are curious about your internal well-being. Understanding yourself is important to you.
- You are quiet around people you don't know very well, but you can easily talk to people you are familiar with.
- You are observant and you usually notice details that other people might not see.
- You tend to keep your internal emotions private.
- You'd rather celebrate special occasions with a few close friends, than with a large group of strangers and acquaintances.
If you want to do well in school this year, follow these tips and suggestions for doing homework and studying for tests. They are great for introverted students who prefer to work alone.
Read More From Owlcation
- Find a quiet place to study
- Find other introverts to study with. Like you, they prefer to work in small groups, in quieter locations.
- If you find that reading from a textbook by yourself is a little too quiet, even for an introvert, you might want to consider alternative study tools such as workbooks, videos, or lectures recorded on audiotape. Being an introverted student doesn't mean that you must stick to one study method. Go ahead and mix things up a little so that you don't get bored.
- Make sure that your desk and workspace are neat and tidy. Clutter is a form of mental noise that can drain you of the energy you need to stay focused on your work.
- Schedule regular play breaks. Doing well in school is important. But you also need to give yourself a break once in a while and let yourself have some fun. Don’t let your introverted personality serve as an excuse for not having a bit of fun now and then. Even though you are an introvert, you can still have a good time just hanging out with a few friends playing board games or role-playing games. If you don't feel like hanging out with anyone, you can still go for a walk, read a good book or a juicy magazine, or take in an exhibit at your favorite museum.
- Plan ahead. Stay on top of your studying tasks with a calendar or scheduling software and phone apps. Use these tools to prioritize your assignments, schedule time to study in advance of your exam, and keep track of other important to-dos such as meeting up with your study buddies.
What are some of the best career fields for introverts?
- Visual arts
The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.
— Martin Luther King, Jr.
When I was in college, I was debating to try my hand at show business, or to become a professor. I just thought of the risk of not going into show business and always wondering if I would've had a chance. Because that's where my real heart was.
— Steve Martin
Role models for Introverts
If you work hard and do well in school, maybe one day you'll be counted among these famous introverts!
- Ingrid Bergman, actress
- Audrey Hepburn, actress
- Johnny Carson, comedian and late-night talk show host
- Grace Kelly, actress
- Steve Martin, comedian, actor
- Diane Sawyer, journalist, news anchor
- David Letterman, comedian and late-night talk show host
- Harrison Ford, actor
- Meryl Streep, actress
- Bill Gates
- Warren Buffet
© 2014 S Davies
Devika Primić from Dubrovnik, Croatia on July 01, 2014:
Informative. and a very helpful hub.