Donna is a retired Christian educator who writes creative lesson plans for Sunday school, children's ministry, and home education.
In this KJV version Sunday school lesson: fruit of the Spirit, kids learn how the Holy Spirit helps us choose to act like Jesus. This lesson includes suggested definitions to help children understand the meaning of the fruits as well as two interactive ways to help them memorize the names of the fruits.
Explain the Fruit of the Spirit
A good way to explain the “fruit” is to define each word and compare it to a tool. Discuss how the Holy Spirit helps us in time of trouble by handing us the proper “tool” or fruit. Most fifth graders can grasp the concept of the Holy Spirit as a helper or companion
For example, talk what happens when someone makes us angry and how the Holy Spirit helps us to be patient. Encourage discussion about calling on the Holy Spirit to help forgive the other person and exercise self-control.
Let them share their ideas about each of the fruits, and offer alternative definitions when necessary. Here are the nine fruits and some suggested age-appropriate definitions:
- Love means liking people and being friends
- Joy is being happy, not sad
- Peace means being content rather than angry or frustrated
- Long-suffering is the same as being patient
- Gentleness is being nice, and treating others the way we want to be treated
- Goodness means doing what is right and acting like Jesus
- Faith is trusting, being loyal, or keeping promises
- Meekness means using our manners such as talking nicely to others or sharing our things
- Temperance is self-control such as not losing our temper
Lesson Overview and Objectives
This Bible lesson is age appropriate for grade five and up elementary students who read and write independently and understand abstract concepts like the Holy Spirit. It builds on prior lessons and knowledge about the Trinity.
Kids learn the names of the fruit of the Spirit easily when you use the piggyback technique to teach them.
Choose a familiar tune that the kids know such as “B-I-N-G-O,” and create a song using the names of the fruit.
Try this one sung to the tune of the first line of "B-I-N-G-O":
- The Holy Spirit gives us fruit, thank you Holy Spirit!
- The first fruit of the Spirit is love, thank you Holy Spirit!
- The second fruit of the Spirit is joy, thank you Holy Spirit!
- The third fruit of the Spirit is peace, thank you Holy Spirit!
- The fourth fruit of the Spirit is patience, thank you Holy Spirit!
- The fifth fruit of the Spirit is gentleness, thank you Holy Spirit!
- The sixth fruit of the Spirit is goodness, thank you Holy Spirit
- The seventh fruit of the Spirit is faith, thank you Hold Spirit!
- The eighth fruit of the Spirit is meekness, thank you Holy Spirit!
- The ninth fruit of the Spirit is temperance, thank you Holy Spirit!
Read More From Owlcation
Another fun way to help the class remember the nine fruits is by using a small, soft beanbag. Pitch the beanbag to a student, and ask him or her to say the name of one of the fruits. He or she names a fruit, and tosses the beanbag to another child. Continue until everyone has had a turn.
Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, KING JAMES VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.
Author's experience as a Christian educator.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2011 Donna Cosmato
Share Your Thoughts on This Bible Lesson for Kids
Donna Cosmato (author) from USA on February 08, 2014:
Thank you for your feedback Hendrika!
Hendrika from Pretoria, South Africa on February 01, 2014:
Thank you for your ideas. It is not always easy to explain the Fruit Of The Spirit to kids and I think making a song about it is a very good idea.
Donna Cosmato (author) from USA on January 14, 2012:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this hub!
hi im ribert on January 14, 2012:
gnite.n i think it right to teach children about the fruit of the Spirit becuz the the fruit of the Spirit give us a clay understand to how we should live our life