I am an ESL teacher, and I mostly write resources for other ESL teachers. I am especially interested in obscure topics.
TEFL/ EFL / ESL Medical English Conversation Topics
Below are some conversation topics for medical students.
The categories are:
- Hospital and Hospital Equipment
- The Body
- Doctors and Patients
Hospital and Hospital Equipment
- Can you name some different departments in a hospital and describe what they do?
- Who works in a hospital? What are the different duties of the staff?
- What are the most common types of accidents in the workplace?
- How can you prevent needlestick?
- Name some items you’d find in a first aid kit? What are they used for?
- Name some first aid techniques?
- Have you ever dealt with an emergency situation? Describe it?
- Name some common medical equipment?
- Describe the uses of the medical equipment you use most frequently?
- How should disposable medical equipment be taken care of?
- What is done to medical equipment before it is used on other patients?
- Name some different types of medical imaging?
- What safety equipment is used to protect radiographers?
- How can you best prevent infection in a hospital?
- Does your hospital have any hygiene issues?
- Describe the process for seeing patients in the emergency room?
- What does a triage nurse do?
- What is the worst time to visit the hospital?
- What tools does a surgeon use?
Scroll to Continue
Read More From Owlcation
- Can you describe some different ways to administer medicine?
- Give reasons why some ways of administering medicine must not be used in certain situations?
- Name some abbreviations for dosage and explain them?
- What drugs are addictive?
- Can you name any drugs that were taken off the market recently? Why?
- What problems do senior citizens have with taking medication?
- Name some medications that pregnant women should not take?
- Name some metric units used to measure medicine?
English Conversations for Medical Students
Doctors and Patients
- What information do you look for when taking a patient’s history?
- How are medical histories stored?
- When checking vital signs, what are you looking for?
- Can you describe what you would do if you were giving a physical examination?
- What are diagnostic tests?
- List some words that describe severe pain and mild pain?
- Name some common illnesses that affect children and the elderly?
- What kinds of special care do the elderly need?
- Describe the symptoms of the flu?
- What is diabetes and who does it affect?
- Name some types of cancers and describes what a patient should expect?
- What treatments are available for cancer?
- Describe the medical training in your country?
- What special training do nurses get?
- Explain the problems that could result from miscommunication between a doctor and a patient?
- How can you make sure there are minimal communication problems?
- Explain informed consent?
- Why are some patients reluctant to visit a doctor?
- Have you ever treated a patient you believed to be a hypochondriac?
- Do you think doctors are becoming less sensitive to patients’ needs?
- How does the credit crunch impact hospitals and medical workers?
- What are the main senses and describe their functions?
- Name some common injuries to the hands and feet?
- What common illnesses affect the respiratory system?
- Can you name the parts of the respiratory system and describe their functions?
- Can you describe a respiratory disease one of your patients had and the treatment prescribed?
- What common illnesses affect the reproductive system?
- Name parts of the reproductive system and their functions?
- Can you describe a reproductive system disease one of your patients had?
- What medication is used to control or regulate the reproductive system?
- What common illnesses affect the endocrine system?
- Name parts of the endocrine system and their functions?
- Name some medication used to regulate the endocrine system and explain the contra-indications?
- What common illnesses affect the muscular system?
- What treatments are offered?
- Name parts of the muscular system and their functions?
- How do the arms and shoulders connect with each other?
- What common illnesses affect the skeletal system?
- Name some bone fractures and describe them?
- Describe the effects pregnancy has on the skeletal system?
- What common illnesses affect the nervous system?
- Name parts of the nervous system and their functions?
- What’s the difference between the central and peripheral nervous system?
- Name some chronic and acute illnesses to affect the nervous system?
- What common illnesses affect the digestive system?
- Name parts of the digestive system and their functions?
- Can you describe the journey food makes?
- Can you name any surgeries patients might have to alleviate problems of the digestive system?
- What common illnesses affect the circulatory system?
- What is heart disease?
- Name some treatments for heart disease?
- Describe what happens to blood in the circulatory system?
- Name the different types of blood?
- How does your country encourage people to donate blood?
- What illnesses are associated with blood?
- What is the procedure for blood donation in your hospital?
- Describe a situation where a patient needed a blood transfusion?
- Have you ever given blood?
- Has your hospital ever given a patient the wrong blood type? If so, what happened?
- What common illnesses affect the integumentary system?
- Describe the different layers of skin?
- What skin conditions mainly affect young people / old people?
© 2013 Muttface