ICAR Scientists: Pay Package and Career Advancement
Pay scales for ICAR scientists are adapted from the University Grants Commission's (UGC) scales for teachers. Hence, revised pay scales of ICAR Scientists shall be exactly same as per the M/O HRD letter dated 02.11.2017. The date of implementation of the above revised pay shall be 1st January 2016.
The rationalized entry pay for Scientist in the pay band of Rs. 15600-39,000 with RGP of Rs 6000, 7000 and Rs. 8000 will be Rs. 57,700, Rs. 68,900 and Rs. 79,800, respectively.
iii) The rationalized entry pay of Senior Scientist in Pay Band of Rs 37400-67,000 with RGP of Rs 9000 will be Rs. 1,31,400 whereas entry pay of Principal Scientist, HOD/HoRS/Project Coordinator/ADGs/Directors/Project Directors/National Fellow in same pay band with RGP of Rs. 10,000 will be Rs 1,44,200.
iv) Director (NAARM), National Professor & DDG will draw entry pay of Rs 2,10,200 whereas Directors of IARI, IVRI, NDRI & CIFE will be given special allowance of Rs. 5000/-.
In December 2017, the governing body of ICAR considered the revision of pay scales of ICAR scientists as per the recommendations of the 7th CPC Pay Review Committee of UGC/MHRD and approved the proposal.
The governing body considered the proposal to grant HAG scale to the ICAR scientists in line with UGC under MHRD. The governing body approved the adoption of HAG scale in ICAR for 20% of the strength of principal scientists, based on their performance, and all ADGs and directors of the institutes. Whoever earns HAG will continue to draw this grade even after the completion of his/her tenure as Director/ADG/DDG. However, providing this higher grade will require the approval of the Finance Ministry before implementation.
Pay Fixation Method (7th Pay)
- In the new system as per 7th CPC, concept of research pay and pay band is changed to level and Cells. The first level (Corresponding to RGP of Rs 6000) is numbered as RL 10. Other levels are 11, 12, 13A, 14 and 15. Fitment factor or Index of Rationalization is 2.67 for RGP less than Rs.10,000 and 2.72 for the AGP of Rs 10,000 and above.
- The pay matrix is shown in the table shown below in the snap.
- On January 1, 2016, the existing pay (Existing Pay in Pay Band + RGP) in the pre-revised pay as on 31st December, 2015 shall be multiplied by a factor of 2.57. The figure (product so arrived) is to be located in the Level (corresponding to pay band and RGP in the new Pay Matrix. Equal or next higher cell in the Level (if equal is not available) shall be the revised pay. In case figure arrived is less than the first cell then pay shall be fixed in the 1st Cell of that Level.
- If more than two stages are bunched together, one additional increment (3%) may be given for every two stages bunched.
Whenever an employee gets a promotion, he would be given a notional increment in his existing Level of Pay (moving to next higher cell) and the pay in the cell be located in the new Level to corresponding post (promoted one).
Important change as per 7th CPC is that there shall be two dates for grant of increment namely, First January and first July of every year. Earlier there was a single date for grant of increment ( First July). However, increment date will depend on the date of appointment, promotion or grant of financial up-gradation.Rate of increment is 3 percent. Annual increment is given in the pay matrix table.
Important Features of ICAR Pay Scales
- It has only three designations for scientists: Scientist, Senior Scientist, and Principal Scientist.
- The term “Research Grade Pay” (RGP) shall be used in place of "Grade Pay" for the scientists.
- Different RPGs of Rs. 6000, Rs.7000, Rs. 8000, Rs.9000, and Rs.10000 have been approved for scientists.
- Since CAS system is devised in such a manner that Scientists possessing higher qualifications (M. Phill, Ph.D.) may progress faster than their counterparts having only PG degrees, there shall be no incentives in the form of advance increments for obtaining any higher qualifications. .
- All allowances will continue to be drawn at the old rates until allowances are revised by M/O HRD. NPA will also be revised later with other allowances.
- Age of superannuation will remain unchanged as 62 years for Scientific cadre.
Amendments Made in December 2017
The following amendments have been approved by the governing body in its meeting in December 2017.
1. Promotion from Scientist RGP Rs. 6000/- to Scientist Rs.7000/-: No change. Continue as per the existing system.
2. Promotion from Scientist (Sr. Scale) to Sr. Scientist (i.e. RGP Rs. 7000/- to Rs.8000/-): The top 90 percentile of scientists due for assessment in a particular year should be promoted subject to their securing 70% marks on the scorecard.
3. Promotion from Sr. Scientist (RGP 8000) to Sr. Scientist ( RGP Rs. 9000/-): The top 80 percentile of scientists due for assessment in a particular year should be promoted subject to their securing 70% marks on the scorecard.
4. Promotion from Sr. Scientist (RGP 9000) to Pr. Scientist ( RGP Rs. 10000/-): The top 70 percentile of scientists due for assessment in a particular year should be promoted subject to their securing 70% marks on the scorecard.
Career Advancement Scheme
Here is the eligibility to move from a lower RGP to a higher one:
- From RGP 6000-7000:
- four years for those possessing Ph.D.
- five years for those possessing M. Phil/M.V. Sc/M.Sc (Ag)/M.F. Sc/M. Tech
- six years for those neither having M. Phil nor Ph.D
- From RGP 7000-8000:
- five years in RGP of 7000
- From RGP 8000-9000:
- three years service in RGP of 8000
- From RGP of 9000 to 10000:
- Three years service in RGP of 9000 and must obtain a Ph.D.
Tips to succeed
As evident from the eligibility period given above, Scientists moving from RGP 6000 and 7000 get sufficient time to conduct research work, draft reports and publish their work compared to those moving from 8000 or 9000 to higher RGP as these get only three years' time for assessment of their work. Scientists in 8000 or below RGP are assessed within institutes by DPCs but those in 9000 RGP are assessed by ASRB for upward movement to 10000 RGP.
This scheme became effective in January 2009. Since the scorecard system was implemented for career advancement, many deserving scientists have failed to score the minimum score due to their casual approach in filling their assessment proforma. It takes a lot of time and requires great attention to individual items since many items score very low (0.5 -2 marks/item). NAAS scoring is another important aspect for research papers. Few tips are given below to Senior Scientists involved in research and serving in RGP 9000 for promotion to Principal Scientist in the 10000 RGP.
- For promotion from Senior Scientist to Principal Scientist, a researcher should try to acquire at least 60 marks out of 80 marks (excluding interview & presentation) so that he or she attains 75 marks (minimum marks needed for promotion) out of 100 marks assuming 15 or more marks in the interview.
- One need to fill up a form appended at the end of score card in which list of enclosures/supporting documents in respect of each of the items in the score card has to be furnished mentioning page number of each item. This should be filled with utmost care clearly indicating page number of each item. Competent authority needs to verify that all the items exits on the given page number. Therefore, assesses should devote sufficient time for making entries in the score card. It may require somewhere between a week to month time.
- Ensure maximum involvement in institutional or external research projects as Principal Investigator (PI) or CO- PI to secure maximum or as much as possible marks out of 15 marks assigned to achievement in research.
- Scientists need to describe their achievements in terms of innovative technology development, participatory technology developed, variety released, technology commercialized, patents filed etc. They should read items carefully and list these items carefully in the assessment form since this section carries substantial (17) marks.
- Item ‘Technology spread and impact across the system’ carries 3 marks. If there is any variety or technology that has been widely accepted, provide its detail. There is a scope to give a list of research papers (max. 3) that has been cited by many researchers. It can be found from Google Scholar that provides no. of citations for individual research paper.
- If a scientist is involved in teaching or guided students as guide or Co-Guide, 5 marks are achievable depending on magnitude of work. This section includes many items such as Technology Inventory prepared, monitoring of trials, success stories, customized instruction materials, advisories, filed day, farmers’ fair organized etc. to claim 5 marks.
- Scientists should endeavour to publish three to four research papers in NAAS rated journals and publishing as first author helps to secure more marks than as co-author. If one succeeds to publish 3 or 4 research papers (as needed as per the score card) as first author even in research journals assigned 4-6 NAAS rating, chances becomes very fair to get promoted.
- Publications other than research papers are assigned 5 marks. These include edited books, booklets of 25 -110 pages, popular articles, technical papers etc. Try to publish as per the items and their marks given in the score card.
- Scientists need to attend national and international seminars and workshop and deliver lectures as it helps to secure few marks. Try to get certificate of attendence as these certificates are needed as evidences to support participation claims. Awards for the best research papers or poster are also importantas these adds to securing marks.
Questions & Answers
If I worked at an ngo kvk as SMS and got selected as Program coordinator in the pay scale of 15600-39100 AGP8000 subsequently i joined in SAU as assistant professor with AGP 6000 for want of job security. I want to get my previous with AGP 8000 protected at SAU, how to get it?
If you are serving in ICAR or University KVK, you will not be allowed to apply in a lower scale post. However if you are from NGO KVK, your pay will be from the organization being offered.Helpful 1
What is the policy at ICAR and SAUs regarding pay protection of an incumbent from other icar projects like no kvks?
Pay of incumbants from KVKs is protected into their entry to ICAR & SAUs.
© 2009 Crusader