ICAR Scientists: Pay Package and Career Advancement
Pay scales for ICAR scientists are adapted from the University Grants Commission's (UGC) scales for teachers. Hence, revised pay scales of ICAR Scientists shall be exactly same as per the M/O HRD letter dated 02.11.2017. The date of implementation of the above revised pay shall be 1st January 2016.
The rationalized entry pay for Scientist in the pay band of Rs. 15600-39,000 with RGP of Rs 6000, 7000 and Rs. 8000 will be Rs. 57,700, Rs. 68,900 and Rs. 79,800, respectively.
iii) The rationalized entry pay of Senior Scientist in Pay Band of Rs 37400-67,000 with RGP of Rs 9000 will be Rs. 1,31,400 whereas entry pay of Principal Scientist, HOD/HoRS/Project Coordinator/ADGs/Directors/Project Directors/National Fellow in same pay band with RGP of Rs. 10,000 will be Rs 1,44,200.
iv) Director (NAARM), National Professor & DDG will draw entry pay of Rs 2,10,200 whereas Directors of IARI, IVRI, NDRI & CIFE will be given special allowance of Rs. 5000/-.
In December 2017, the governing body of ICAR considered the revision of pay scales of ICAR scientists as per the recommendations of the 7th CPC Pay Review Committee of UGC/MHRD and approved the proposal.
The governing body considered the proposal to grant HAG scale to the ICAR scientists in line with UGC under MHRD. The governing body approved the adoption of HAG scale in ICAR for 20% of the strength of principal scientists, based on their performance, and all ADGs and directors of the institutes. Whoever earns HAG will continue to draw this grade even after the completion of his/her tenure as Director/ADG/DDG. However, providing this higher grade will require the approval of the Finance Ministry before implementation.
Pay Fixation Method (7th Pay)
- In the new system as per 7th CPC, concept of research pay and pay band is changed to level and Cells. The first level (Corresponding to RGP of Rs 6000) is numbered as RL 10. Other levels are 11, 12, 13A, 14 and 15. Fitment factor or Index of Rationalization is 2.67 for RGP less than Rs.10,000 and 2.72 for the AGP of Rs 10,000 and above.
- The pay matrix is shown in the table shown below in the snap.
- On January 1, 2016, the existing pay (Existing Pay in Pay Band + RGP) in the pre-revised pay as on 31st December, 2015 shall be multiplied by a factor of 2.57. The figure (product so arrived) is to be located in the Level (corresponding to pay band and RGP in the new Pay Matrix. Equal or next higher cell in the Level (if equal is not available) shall be the revised pay. In case figure arrived is less than the first cell then pay shall be fixed in the 1st Cell of that Level.
- If more than two stages are bunched together, one additional increment (3%) may be given for every two stages bunched.
Whenever an employee gets a promotion, he would be given a notional increment in his existing Level of Pay (moving to next higher cell) and the pay in the cell be located in the new Level to corresponding post (promoted one).
Important change as per 7th CPC is that there shall be two dates for grant of increment namely, First January and first July of every year. Earlier there was a single date for grant of increment ( First July). However, increment date will depend on the date of appointment, promotion or grant of financial up-gradation.Rate of increment is 3 percent. Annual increment is given in the pay matrix table.
Important Features of ICAR Pay Scales
- It has only three designations for scientists: Scientist, Senior Scientist, and Principal Scientist.
- The term “Research Grade Pay” (RGP) shall be used in place of "Grade Pay" for the scientists.
- Different RPGs of Rs. 6000, Rs.7000, Rs. 8000, Rs.9000, and Rs.10000 have been approved for scientists.
- Since CAS system is devised in such a manner that Scientists possessing higher qualifications (M. Phill, Ph.D.) may progress faster than their counterparts having only PG degrees, there shall be no incentives in the form of advance increments for obtaining any higher qualifications. .
- All allowances will continue to be drawn at the old rates until allowances are revised by M/O HRD. NPA will also be revised later with other allowances.
- Age of superannuation will remain unchanged as 62 years for Scientific cadre.
Amendments Made in December 2017
The following amendments have been approved by the governing body in its meeting in December 2017.
1. Promotion from Scientist RGP Rs. 6000/- to Scientist Rs.7000/-: No change. Continue as per the existing system.
2. Promotion from Scientist (Sr. Scale) to Sr. Scientist (i.e. RGP Rs. 7000/- to Rs.8000/-): The top 90 percentile of scientists due for assessment in a particular year should be promoted subject to their securing 70% marks on the scorecard.
3. Promotion from Sr. Scientist (RGP 8000) to Sr. Scientist ( RGP Rs. 9000/-): The top 80 percentile of scientists due for assessment in a particular year should be promoted subject to their securing 70% marks on the scorecard.
4. Promotion from Sr. Scientist (RGP 9000) to Pr. Scientist ( RGP Rs. 10000/-): The top 70 percentile of scientists due for assessment in a particular year should be promoted subject to their securing 70% marks on the scorecard.
Career Advancement Scheme
This scheme became effective in January 2009. Since the scorecard system was implemented for career advancement, many deserving scientists have failed to score the minimum score due to their casual approach to the exam. It takes a lot of time and requires great attention to individual items since many items score very low (0.5 -2 marks/item). NAAS scoring is another important aspect for research papers. Hence, scientists need to publish their research papers in journals that have a good NAAS score.
Here is the eligibility to move from a lower RGP to a higher one:
- From RGP 6000-7000:
- four years for those possessing Ph.D.
- five years for those possessing M. Phil/M.V. Sc/M.Sc (Ag)/M.F. Sc/M. Tech
- six years for those neither having M. Phil nor Ph.D
- From RGP 7000-8000:
- five years in RGP of 7000
- From RGP 8000-9000:
- three years service in RGP of 8000
- From RGP of 9000 to 10000:
- Three years service in RGP of 9000 and must obtain a Ph.D.
© 2009 Crusader