Welcome to Owlcation! We are a community of educators and experts passionate about sharing our knowledge of academic subjects from within the classroom and beyond its walls. We offer comprehensive articles on topics ranging from tribal body art to teaching guides to how blood clots. Whether you’re a student, educator, Mensa member, or research enthusiast, Owlcation is the place for you to share your wisdom with the world.
To write for Owlcation, authors must comply with HubPages’s Editorial Policy. In addition to these requirements, we encourage you to consider the recommendations and tips below on how to successfully craft high-quality articles for this particular site.
What We Love To See:
- Subject Matter Expertise: Are you an educator, a scientist, a history student, or do you possess some other form of expertise? We encourage you to include this information in your About the Author Bio. Nothing builds trust faster than laying your credentials out for your readers to see.
- Credibility: Don’t have a PhD in Biomedical Engineering? No problem! There are other ways to get readers to trust you, and citing your research (otherwise known as “showing your work”) is one of them.
- Supplemental Media: Many readers benefit from the inclusion of visual aids such as maps; videos; and/or captioned, legally sourced, high-quality images that add value to the written content.
- Organization: Articles are most successful when the content is original and clearly supports its title and/or subtitles. It is best to answer the reader’s query near the beginning of the article. Long-winded introductions and personal anecdotes unrelated to the article’s content are discouraged.
- Originality: Considering the nature of the site, references are to be expected. However, it is your original reporting, analysis, experience or expertise that makes the content you write unlike any other article found online. In a world full of copycats, be an original! Not only will we notice how awesome you are, so will your readers.
What We Discourage:
- Bland Regurgitations: Articles that simply summarize well-known information from Wikipedia, or other popular sources, do not add value to the wealth of information already available online to the reader. Furthermore, such practices reduce your credibility with search visitors resulting in a poor user experience.
Here are some examples of articles on Owlcation that exhibit the type of high-quality work we wish to see on the site:
A quick note: All of the HubPages network sites are a blending of professional editing and writers like you.
If you are intrigued by our community and would like to write for Owlcation, we’d love to have you! In order to set up an account to begin writing, please sign up on HubPages. Articles are initially written on our parent platform and then, if they are high enough quality, moved to one of our network sites like Owlcation.