100 Problem Solution Essay Topics with Sample Essays
Included in this Article
Struggling to find a great topic? Scan the lists below to find questions my students have generated to find something you want to write about. Topics are divided into:
2. Social Issues
4. College Life
6. Family Life
7. Driving and Transportation
Remember you can adapt these general ideas to fit your own school, town, or situation.
Step By Step Writing Guide
After you have chosen your topic, you can find instructions about how to develop your ideas, find a unique solution to the problem and organize your essay in "How to Write Your Problem Solution Paper."
- How can social media bullying be prevented?
- What is the best way to help someone who is depressed?
- What's the best way to deal with manipulative and domineering people?
- How can you help a friend or roommate who is making poor life choices?
- How can you get out of a bad relationship?
- How can you move out of the "friend zone"?
- What is the best way for a woman to show a man she is interested? Should she ask him out?
- How has texting affected face-to-face relationships?
- What can be done to make sure that people today actually know how to have "real" relationships?
- How can we get away from stereotypes and racism? What steps can we take as individuals and as a society?
- How can we learn to understand people who are different from us culturally, racially, or socioeconomically?
- How can we break down barriers between groups?
4 Parts of Problem Solution
Describe a problem vividly.
Propose a solution.
Argue that the solution is practical, feasible, cost-effective, and workable.
Explain why it is better than other solutions.
How Do We Solve Poverty?
- How can we help homeless people in our community?
- How can we prevent people from dropping out of high school?
- What is the best way to prevent teen pregnancy?
- How can kids be persuaded not to experiment with illegal drugs?
- What is the best way to prevent deaths from drunk driving?
- How can teenagers be convinced to drive more safely?
- What can be done to prevent divorce?
- How can kids with divorced parents be helped to do well in school, have strong relationships, and build successful lives and marriages?
- What can be done to eliminate or prevent racism?
- What is the best way to help people who are victims of family violence?
- How can we change the welfare system to help people escape generational poverty?
- How can we deal with illegal immigration?
- What should we do about the increase in gun violence?
- How can we best rehabilitate prisoners so that they can be productive members of society?
- How can healthcare be ensured for everyone around the world?
- How can we improve literacy?
- What can be done to prevent human trafficking?
- How can we prevent children from being negatively influenced by violence and pornography in media such as video games, movies, and the Internet?
- How can we persuade people to make healthy lifestyle choices like not smoking, exercising, and maintaining a healthy BMI?
- How can we balance the right for free speech with the right to not be insulted or abused?
- Choose a city you know. How can that city be made more bicycle and pedestrian-friendly?
- How can we best reduce the problem of terrorism?
- Should there be controls in the way the media portrays celebrities?
- How can we handle the problem of online data mining or the fact that data brokers are selling our information to advertisers, employers, health insurers, and credit rating agencies?
- What should we do to help people get jobs?
Video to Help You Generate a Unique Solution
Athletes and Sports
- How can steroid use be limited in all sports (or one in particular)?
- Should college athletes be paid?
- How can colleges better handle the combination of education, athletics, and business?
- Do kids train too hard in athletics at young ages?
- What is the best way for a young athlete to learn a sport? (You might want to talk about a particular sport you know well).
- How can coaches best encourage their athletes to do their best?
- Think about your local sports team. What can be done to make that team more effective? How can the fans be made to support the team more?
- Pick your favorite sport. How can someone best prepare themselves to be excellent at that sport?
- How can sports media be more effective at covering a sport you like to watch? Should the announcers be biased or not? Which games should be covered by sports networks? What types of interviews and special features make the sport more interesting to watch?
- What can be done to increase attendance at your favorite sporting event?
- How should a coach or player handle media interviews when they lose a big game?
- How can players prepare themselves for the (inevitable) loss?
- What should professional players do to prepare themselves for retirement or injury?
- Pick your favorite sport. How much should players get paid? Should there be salary caps?
- How should money made from sports be divided between players and owners?
- Think about your favorite venue to watch sports live. What could be done to improve that venue?
- How can injuries in sports (especially football) be prevented?
- How can coaching be improved in the sport you participated in during high school or your favorite professional team?
- How can players prevent injuries that take them out of competitive sports?
- What can be done about parents or coaches that push kids too much in sports?
- How can college be made more affordable?
- How can college students study effectively and earn better grades?
- How can a student avoid procrastinating?
- How can college students avoid the "Freshman 15" and eat healthily in college?
- How can college students stay in shape when they aren't in sports like they were in high school?
- What is the best way for college students to balance work, studying, classes, and social life?
- How can college students handle problems with roommates?
- How can college students ask parents for more money effectively?
- How can parents of college students let go?
- What is the best way for college students to convince their parents to let them be independent?
- What should you do about loud neighbors in your dorm or apartment?
- How can you handle a long distance relationship in college?
- What should college students do when they have a suicidal friend?
- How can college students decide on a major?
- How should you decide what college to attend?
- What should you do if you don't get something you expected and hoped for (like a scholarship, college admission, or acceptance into a special program)?
- How can students learn to be better test-takers?
- How should college instructors handle attendance in class?
- What can be done to make college students more active participants in politics and elections?
- How can colleges be made safer?
- What should be done to prevent sexual assault on college campuses?
- Should parents be allowed to know the grades of their college students?
- How can colleges help students who are failing get back on track?
- What can be done to help relieve stress in college?
- How can students pay more attention in class?
- How can college students overcome homesickness?
- How can college students manage their money effectively?
- What can be done to make college more affordable?
- Should the government offer more support for a college education?
- How should a student decide whether to rush a sorority or fraternity?
Education and School
If you choose a problem solution essay about education, you can narrow your paper's topic to talk just about your own state, or even your own school.
- How can we make education better for kids who have trouble in school?
- How can schools help the problem of childhood obesity?
- How can schools best serve special education students?
- How can schools allocate more money and resources for sports, fine arts, and other special programs?
- What should be done about misbehaving and disruptive students?
- What should be done to make gifted and talented education programs effective?
- How can we help kids who are in failing schools?
- How can homeschooled kids be prepared for college?
- What can be done to stop bullying, teasing, and violence in schools?
- How can we be sure that students are learning what they need to know? Is a nationalized test the answer? How should testing in schools be handled?
- How can cheating in school be best handled? What should teachers and students do to prevent cheating?
- Should all students be required to learn a foreign language? Should schools offer other languages like Chinese or Arabic?
- Should schools move to digital textbooks?
- Is it a good idea to give every child an iPad or laptop? How can schools adapt to changing technology?
- Should schools have a common core curriculum? If so, what should it include? What does every student need to know?
- Would the U.S. benefit from changing to a more European-style education system?
- Should schools require more physical education?
- How can schools help develop a healthier society?
- How can schools attract and keep outstanding teachers?
- Should high schools offer a technical track for students to get job-ready rather than force everyone to take college prep courses?
- Should online high school courses be offered to students who want a flexible schedule?
- What should be done for students who get pregnant in high school?
- Should school uniforms or strict dress codes be used in schools? What sort of dress code is appropriate and helpful?
- Should teachers and administrators who are appropriately trained and licensed be allowed to carry concealed weapons in schools?
- Should policemen be undercover in classrooms?
- How can students be made to feel more safe at school?
- What is the best way for schools to use technology in the classrooms?
- How can parents handle their child's cell phone and social media use appropriately?
- Should parents be held responsible for the obesity of their children? What should be done to help families with obese children?
- How can parents help their children have a positive body image and avoid eating disorders?
- What can be done about parents who push too hard for their children to achieve in sports, academics, fine arts, or another area?
- What can be done to increase the number of children who are adopted?
- How can we prevent young people from aging out of the child welfare system without ever finding a family?
- What is the best way to help families who have a child with a mental illness?
- How can parents teach their children about money management?
- What is the best way for parents to discipline their children?
- How can parents encourage their child to be honest?
- What is the importance of religious education? How should parents handle teaching faith to their children?
Driving and Transportation
- What should be done about the problem of texting while driving?
- How can parking be handled better on your college campus (or another busy area you know where it is difficult to park)?
- What is the best way for students to be trained to be good drivers? Should there be any changes to the current laws of your state?
- How can traffic around your town be changed so that driving is easier and less stressful?
- How can people be encouraged to take public transportation? What needs to be done to make public transportation an effective option for more people in your town?
- How should we encourage people to be better drivers?
- What changes could be made to the traffic laws that would make driving better? What should the speed limits be?
- What is the best way to find the route to a place you've never been to before? (GPS, Google Maps, directions from a friend?)
- What are the worst traffic violations? How can these be prevented?
- Is the current driver's education in your state effective? What can be done to improve it?
- What is the best way to prevent DUI and deaths due to drunk driving?
What type of problem are you most interested in solving?
Questions & Answers
- Helpful 101
What do you think of, "What is the best way to help someone who is depressed?" as a problem solution essay topic?
That is a good topic. You might want to narrow it more clearly by saying how can a friend, or family members, the school system, or teachers can help.Helpful 115
How should I write the introduction to the topic “What is the best way to help someone who is depressed?" How should I write the thesis statement?
The best kind of introduction for this sort of topic is two-fold. First of all, start with a real or made-up story or scenario of a person who is depressed and how their friend or family member feels in that situation. Then tell the statistics about how many people experience depression. Your thesis works best if it is written in a question and answer format. The thesis question would be what you have written above, "What is the best way to help someone who is depressed?;" that is a good ending sentence for your first paragraph. The starting sentence for the next paragraph can be your thesis answer. Some people like to have it in the first paragraph after the question. The thesis answer should be: The three best ways to help someone who is depressed are...Helpful 87
What do you think of the problem-solution essay topic, "How can we get away from stereotypes and racism? What steps can we take as individuals and as a society"?
This is a good question. Here are some other ways to word it:
1. What steps can individuals take to help eliminate racist stereotypes?
2. What are the most effective ways for society to eliminate stereotypes?
3. Can an individual get away from stereotypes and racism?
4. How important is an education for eliminating stereotypes and racism?
5. How important is family for eliminating stereotypes and racism?Helpful 5
What do you think of the topic, "How can students be more attentive to the classroom?" for a Problem-Solution essay?
You could address this question to either an audience of students, trying to give them ways to pay better attention and make better grades, or to an audience of teachers, trying to explain to them how they can increase the attention of their students.Helpful 2