Virginia has been a university English instructor for over 20 years. She specializes in helping people write essays faster and easier.
Included in this Article
Struggling to find a great topic? Scan the lists below to find questions my students have generated to find something you want to write about. Topics are divided into:
1. Social Issues
4. College Life
6. Family Life
7. Driving and Transportation
Remember you can adapt these general ideas to fit your own school, town, or situation.
Step By Step Writing Guide
After you have chosen your topic, you can find instructions about how to develop your ideas, find a unique solution to the problem, and organize your essay in "How to Write Your Problem Solution Paper."
How Do We Solve Poverty?
- How can we encourage people to accept vaccination when they think it is dangerous?
- How can we help people get affordable housing?
- How can we help homeless people in our community?
- How can we prevent people from dropping out of high school?
- What is the best way to prevent teen pregnancy?
- How can kids be persuaded not to experiment with illegal drugs?
- What is the best way to prevent deaths from drunk driving?
- How can teenagers be convinced to drive more safely?
- What can be done to prevent divorce?
- How can kids with divorced parents be helped to do well in school, have strong relationships, and build successful lives and marriages?
- What can be done to eliminate or prevent racism?
- What is the best way to help people who are victims of family violence?
- How can we change the welfare system to help people escape generational poverty?
- How can we deal with illegal immigration?
- What should we do about the increase in gun violence?
- How can we best rehabilitate prisoners so that they can be productive members of society?
- How can healthcare be ensured for everyone around the world?
- How can we improve literacy?
- What can be done to prevent human trafficking?
- How can we prevent children from being negatively influenced by violence and pornography in media such as video games, movies, and the Internet?
- How can we persuade people to make healthy lifestyle choices like not smoking, exercising, and maintaining a healthy BMI?
- How can we balance the right to free speech with the right to not be insulted or abused?
- Choose a city you know. How can that city be made more bicycle and pedestrian-friendly?
- How can we best reduce the problem of terrorism?
- Should there be controls in the way the media portrays celebrities?
- How can we handle the problem of online data mining or the fact that data brokers are selling our information to advertisers, employers, health insurers, and credit rating agencies?
- What should we do to help people get jobs?
- How can social media bullying be prevented?
- What is the best way to help someone who is depressed?
- What's the best way to deal with manipulative and domineering people?
- How can you help a friend or roommate who is making poor life choices?
- How can you get out of a bad relationship?
- How can you move out of the "friend zone"?
- What is the best way for a woman to show a man she is interested? Should she ask him out?
- How has texting affected face-to-face relationships?
- How can you solve the problem of a jealous boyfriend or girlfriend?
- What can be done to make sure that people today actually know how to have "real" relationships?
- How can we get away from stereotypes and racism? What steps can we take as individuals and as a society?
- How can we learn to understand people who are different from us culturally, racially, or socioeconomically?
- How can we break down barriers between groups?
Video to Help You Generate a Unique Solution
Athletes and Sports
- How can steroid use be limited in all sports (or one in particular)?
- Should college athletes be paid?
- How can colleges better handle the combination of education, athletics, and business?
- Do kids train too hard in athletics at young ages?
- What is the best way for a young athlete to learn a sport? (You might want to talk about a particular sport you know well).
- How can coaches best encourage their athletes to do their best?
- Think about your local sports team. What can be done to make that team more effective? How can the fans be made to support the team more?
- Pick your favorite sport. How can someone best prepare themselves to be excellent at that sport?
- How can sports media be more effective at covering a sport you like to watch? Should the announcers be biased or not? Which games should be covered by sports networks? What types of interviews and special features make the sport more interesting to watch?
- What can be done to increase attendance at your favorite sporting event?
- How should a coach or player handle media interviews when they lose a big game?
- How can players prepare themselves for the (inevitable) loss?
- What should professional players do to prepare themselves for retirement or injury?
- Pick your favorite sport. How much should players get paid? Should there be salary caps?
- How should money made from sports be divided between players and owners?
- Think about your favorite venue to watch sports live. What could be done to improve that venue?
- How can injuries in sports (especially football) be prevented?
- How can coaching be improved in the sport you participated in during high school or your favorite professional team?
- How can players prevent injuries that take them out of competitive sports?
- What can be done about parents or coaches that push kids too much in sports?
- How can college instructors create effective online classes?
- How can college students be sure they have a marketable degree?
- How can college be made more affordable?
- How can college students study effectively and earn better grades?
- How can a student avoid procrastinating?
- How can college students avoid the "Freshman 15" and eat healthily in college?
- How can college students stay in shape when they aren't in sports like they were in high school?
- What is the best way for college students to balance work, studying, classes, and social life?
- How can college students handle problems with roommates?
- How can college students ask parents for more money effectively?
- How can parents of college students let go and allow their children to grow up and become independent adults?
- What is the best way for college students to convince their parents to let them be independent?
- What should you do about loud neighbors in your dorm or apartment?
- How can you handle a long-distance relationship in college?
- What should college students do when they have a suicidal friend?
- How can college students decide on a major?
- How should you decide what college to attend?
- What should you do if you don't get something you expected and hoped for (like a scholarship, college admission, or acceptance into a special program)?
- How can students learn to be better test-takers?
- How should college instructors handle attendance in class?
- What can be done to make college students more active participants in politics and elections?
- How can colleges be made safer?
- What should be done to prevent sexual assault on college campuses?
- Should parents be allowed to know the grades of their college students?
- How can colleges help students who are failing to get back on track?
- What can be done to help relieve stress in college?
- How can students pay more attention in class?
- How can college students overcome homesickness?
- How can college students manage their money effectively?
- Should the government offer more support for a college education?
- How should a student decide whether to rush a sorority or fraternity?
If you choose a problem solution essay about education, you can narrow your paper's topic to talk just about your own state, or even your own school.
- How can parents make virtual learning effective?
- How can we make education better for kids who have trouble in school?
- How can schools help the problem of childhood obesity?
- How can schools best serve special education students?
- How can schools allocate more money and resources for sports, fine arts, and other special programs?
- What should be done about misbehaving and disruptive students?
- What should be done to make gifted and talented education programs effective?
- How can we help kids who are in failing schools?
- How can homeschooled kids be prepared for college?
- What can be done to stop bullying, teasing, and violence in schools?
- How can we be sure that students are learning what they need to know? Is a nationalized test the answer? How should testing in schools be handled?
- How can cheating in school be best handled? What should teachers and students do to prevent cheating?
- Should all students be required to learn a foreign language? Should schools offer other languages like Chinese or Arabic?
- Should schools move to digital textbooks?
- Is it a good idea to give every child an iPad or laptop? How can schools adapt to changing technology?
- Should schools have a common core curriculum? If so, what should it include? What does every student need to know?
- Would the U.S. benefit from changing to a more European-style education system?
- Should schools require more physical education?
- How can schools help develop a healthier society?
- How can schools attract and keep outstanding teachers?
- Should high schools offer a technical track for students to get job-ready rather than force everyone to take college prep courses?
- Should online high school courses be offered to students who want a flexible schedule?
- What should be done for students who get pregnant in high school?
- Should school uniforms or strict dress codes be used in schools? What sort of dress code is appropriate and helpful?
- Should teachers and administrators who are appropriately trained and licensed be allowed to carry concealed weapons in schools?
- Should policemen be undercover in classrooms?
- How can students be made to feel more safe at school?
- What is the best way for schools to use technology in the classrooms?
- How can parents best handle homework?
- How can parents handle their child's cell phone and social media use appropriately?
- Should parents be held responsible for the obesity of their children? What should be done to help families with obese children?
- How can parents help their children have a positive body image and avoid eating disorders?
- What can be done about parents who push too hard for their children to achieve in sports, academics, fine arts, or another area?
- What can be done to increase the number of children who are adopted?
- How can we prevent young people from aging out of the child welfare system without ever finding a family?
- What is the best way to help families who have a child with a mental illness?
- How can parents teach their children about money management?
- What is the best way for parents to discipline their children?
- How can parents encourage their children to be honest?
- What is the importance of religious education? How should parents handle teaching faith to their children?
Driving and Transportation
- What should be done about the problem of texting while driving?
- How can parking be handled better on your college campus (or another busy area you know where it is difficult to park)?
- What is the best way for students to be trained to be good drivers? Should there be any changes to the current laws of your state?
- How can traffic around your town be changed so that driving is easier and less stressful?
- How can people be encouraged to take public transportation? What needs to be done to make public transportation an effective option for more people in your town?
- How should we encourage people to be better drivers?
- What changes could be made to the traffic laws that would make driving better? What should the speed limits be?
- What is the best way to find the route to a place you've never been to before? (GPS, Google Maps, directions from a friend?)
- What are the worst traffic violations? How can these be prevented?
- Is the current driver's education in your state effective? What can be done to improve it?
- What is the best way to prevent DUI and deaths due to drunk driving?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Questions & Answers
Question: What do you think of, "What is the best way to help someone who is depressed?" as a problem solution essay topic?
Answer: That is a good topic. You might want to narrow it more clearly by saying how can a friend, or family members, the school system, or teachers can help.
Question: How should I write the introduction to the topic “What is the best way to help someone who is depressed?" How should I write the thesis statement?
Answer: The best kind of introduction for this sort of topic is two-fold. First of all, start with a real or made-up story or scenario of a person who is depressed and how their friend or family member feels in that situation. Then tell the statistics about how many people experience depression. Your thesis works best if it is written in a question and answer format. The thesis question would be what you have written above, "What is the best way to help someone who is depressed?;" that is a good ending sentence for your first paragraph. The starting sentence for the next paragraph can be your thesis answer. Some people like to have it in the first paragraph after the question. The thesis answer should be: The three best ways to help someone who is depressed are...
Question: What is a good topic for a recommendation report?
Answer: A recommendation report is another name for a problem/solution essay. The difference is that the recommendation report is generally focused on improving a business or institution. Additionally, the recommendation report carefully examines all of the possible solutions, as well as their pros and cons, before making the final recommendation. The tone is more objective than argumentative. Since a recommendation report tends to be about a business, you can find a topic by thinking about the problems a business you know might face. This sort of report could also be written by a government agency trying to solve a problem through legislation. Here are some ideas:
1. What is the best way for colleges to choose who is accepted?
2. How can the appointment process be better managed at a health care clinic?
3. How can work schedules be better arranged for employees at a store or restaurant?
4.What is the best way for a business to advertise to increase sales?
5.What is the best management software a business can choose?
6. Which online computer registration system should a school district choose?
7.How can theft be best prevented from a shopping mall?
8. What sort of packaging would make the products of a small store stand out to potential customers at a boutique?
9. What is the best possible solution to the problem of funding Medicare?
10. How can schools best be protected from shooters?
Question: What do you think of the problem-solution essay topic, "How can we get away from stereotypes and racism? What steps can we take as individuals and as a society"?
Answer: This is a good question. Here are some other ways to word it:
1. What steps can individuals take to help eliminate racist stereotypes?
2. What are the most effective ways for society to eliminate stereotypes?
3. Can an individual get away from stereotypes and racism?
4. How important is an education for eliminating stereotypes and racism?
5. How important is family for eliminating stereotypes and racism?
Question: What do you think about the essay topic "How can we solve poverty?"
Answer: The problem of poverty is very large and I don't think that any paper could really tackle solving the whole problem. I'd suggest you narrow your topic to make the paper easier to write and more specific. Here are some suggestions:
1. How can we improve the lives of homeless people in (name of town)?
2. What are some ways to make sure that every child has enough to eat in our city?
3. How can we help people in our city get jobs and keep them?
Question: What do you think of the topic, "What is the best way to prevent deaths from drunk driving?" for a problem solution essay?
Answer: Here are other ideas on that topic:
1. What educational program works to prevent drunk driving deaths among teenagers?
2. How can we solve the problem of drunk driving deaths in our country?
3. What is the most important solution to preventing drunk driving deaths?
Question: How can I identify a rejected solution for my problem solution essay?
Answer: A good way to find solutions that didn't work is to either ask people familiar with the problem to find out what they have tried in the past, or else to read about the problem and the ways people have solved it before (or tried to solve it). It is important to look for answers to these questions:
1. What was done?
2. Who was involved in the solution?
3. Why didn't the solution work?
4. Did the solution create new problems that weren't anticipated?
5. What cause of the problem did the solution try to fix? Are there other causes of the problem that might be either more important or easier to fix?
The example I often use in class is of the problem of homelessness in America. I start by asking my students what causes homelessness. They usually come up with a list like this:
Alcohol and drug abuse
Not enough houses for people
People who don't want to work
Veterans with PSTD
There are more causes, but using this sample list, I tell my students that if they wanted to solve the problem of homelessness, they would probably pick one of these causes as the most important and create a solution which focuses on that cause. For example:
If they think drug addiction is the most important problem, they would focus on drug rehabilitation programs.
If they think lack of housing is the worst problem, they would find places people could stay.
However, if the cause they identified is not the most important or only reason for the problem, that solution might not be effective.
Question: What do you think of the topic, "How can students be more attentive to the classroom?" for a Problem-Solution essay?
Answer: You could address this question to either an audience of students, trying to give them ways to pay better attention and make better grades, or to an audience of teachers, trying to explain to them how they can increase the attention of their students.
Question: How I can help issues in my community through volunteering?
Answer: You have an excellent topic idea! However, that question is more of an explaining essay rather than a problem solution. If you are doing a problem solution essay, you might want to word it differently. Actually, here are some different questions for the topic of volunteering with the type of essay in parenthesis. In these sample questions, I'm using "homelessness" as the topic but you could substitute any other type of problem in your community:
1. What is the most effective organization to volunteer in to help the problem of homelessness? (Evaluation)
2. How can we best solve homelessness? (problem solution and your answer would be through volunteering)
3. What causes homelessness? (cause-effect essay)
4. Does volunteering in your community really help? (evaluation)
5. How important is volunteering in your community?
Question: What do you think about the essay topic "What should be done about the problem of texting while driving?"
Answer: Excellent question which makes it clear what the focus will be. You can make a good opening by sharing some statistics about accidents and how texting is similar to driving while under the influence. You can discuss solutions that are laws and also talk about how each person needs to choose to follow those solutions. It is easy to turn on an app or the setting which won't let you text while driving. I think it makes a good ending of this sort of essay to encourage the reader to use that solution for their own phone use.
Question: I’m struggling to find a good proposal topic for my research paper related to healthcare. Do you have any suggestions?
Answer: I have thousands of topic ideas, to search for a particular topic, the easiest way to find it is to Google the topic, my name, and the website, Owlcation. That is actually what I do when I'm trying to find all of the articles I have on a particular topic. For this situation, you can Google search (just highlight, right click and do "search" for: "Healthcare VirginiaLynne Owlcation."
Question: What is the best introduction to a problem solution essay?
Answer: A story that makes the problem seem essential and dramatic is the best way to start a problem solution essay. There are a lot of issues in the world, and if you want your reader to think yours is an important one to solve, you need to catch their attention with something they will remember. A good story is an excellent way to do that. It can be a personal story, a news item, a typical made-up scenario, a real-life story or even part of a movie plot that demonstrates the problem. Follow that up with some statistics showing the importance of the problem for a wider audience, and you will have a great start!
Question: What do you think of the topic, "How can college students balance their studies and social lives?" for a problem solution essay?
Answer: Many students struggle with this topic while they are in college and you can probably get a lot of good ideas for how to solve this by talking with your fellow students. Here are some similar topic ideas:
1. How important is it for college students to get work experience along with their education?
2. How can college students best maximize their study time?
3. How can students avoid the problem of procrastinating?
4. How can college students best form deep friendships?
Question: How would you recommend writing an essay topic for the question, "What should be done to decrease teen suicide"? As a problem/solution essay topic?
Answer: The question you have written is fine, but here are a few other possibilities:
1. What is the best way to decrease the numbers of teen suicide attempts?
2. What is the best way to discourage teen suicide?
3. How can we best prepare friends and family to prevent teen suicide?
4. What kind of media campaign can best decrease teen suicide?
5. What can we do to prevent teens from considering suicide?
As you can see, each of these narrows the topic a bit and suggests the direction of your solution ideas.
Question: How can college students manage their money effectively?
Answer: Excellent and important question. Here are some similar topics:
1. Should college students work or take out loans?
2. How can college students best meet their college expenses?
3. How can college students manage their time effectively?
Question: How is "How can we help homeless people in our community" as a problem solution essay topic?
Answer: Here are some other questions on this topic:
Is more housing going to help homelessness?
What is the link between homelessness and mental health?
How can an individual best help when they meet a homeless person?
Should you give money to homeless people?
Question: How should I approach an essay prompt such as: Write an essay about what you consider to be the most important social problem in your surroundings and how you would contribute to the/a solution?
Answer: Any of these topics on social problems could be used for this sort of essay. My essay on how to write a problem solution essay also gives ideas for coming up with a topic and also how to find a good solution: https://owlcation.com/academia/How-to-Write-a-Prop...
Question: What do you think of "How can we make education better for kids who have trouble in school?" as an essay topic?
Answer: You have an excellent question. It might be good to narrow down the idea of "trouble in school" to be more specific. Do you want to talk about bullying? Or are you interested in academic trouble? Another interesting topic is how to help students who are gifted but underachieving. A final idea is a question that asks about how to make education better for students who don't want to go to college and want a career preparation and internship track.
Question: What is a good topic for an article in education?
Answer: For a number of good education topics, you should look at my ideas in this article: https://hubpages.com/humanities/150-English-Essay-...
Question: How can I develop "What can be done to make college more affordable?" as a problem/solution essay topic?
Answer: 1. What can parents and students do in order to make college more affordable?
2. Why is college so expensive?
3. Does working while going to college mean a person gets an inferior education?
Question: What do you think of, "How can schools help develop a healthier society?" for a problem solution essay?
Answer: Here are some other topics on this issue:
1. Is education a good way to solve social problems?
2. What is the most important thing that schools can do to keep children healthy?
3. Are health classes a good way to teach people good health habits?
4. What should be included in a health class curriculum?
Question: How would "What can be done to prevent divorce" serve as my problem solution essay topic?
Answer: Here are some other topics:
What can children do to survive a parent's divorce?
How can children of divorce prepare to have a happy marriage?
How can friends and family prevent a divorce?
Question: How does this work as a problem solution essay question: What can be done to make sure that people today actually know how to have "real" relationships?
Answer: Your question is one that many adults are wondering; however, I think that you will need to be careful to define what you mean by "real." Do you mean face to face? Here are some other ways to word this question:
1. How can adults help younger people have authentic relationships?
2. Many people today face anxiety and stress about relationships. How can we help people have deep and meaningful relationships?
3. Does spending a lot of time talking by texting or other written communication make relationships less "real?" How can we help young people have real realtionships?
Question: What do you think of the topic, "How can we improve the welfare system to break poverty?" for a problem solution essay?
Answer: 1. What can be done to help more people move off welfare and into jobs?
2. What is the most effective way to help people get out of poverty?
3. Which non-profit does the best job in helping people escape poverty?
4. Does government housing, food stamps, and other assistance really help people get out of poverty?
Question: When writing a problem solution essay, how would I write an introduction and conclusion regarding the strengths and weaknesses of two types of organizations?
Answer: One way to do this is to do give several short stories one after the other. These can be stories that show a comparison of the two organizations, or ones that show both weaknesses and strengths. However, I have many more ideas in my article on writing problem solution essays: https://owlcation.com/academia/How-to-Write-a-Prop...
Question: Can you help me find a topic for a research paper? I thought about maybe doing something related to the challenges patients face when participating in clinical trials.
Answer: That is actually a rather interesting question. Here are some ways to word it to make it a problem solution essay:
1. How can doctors doing a clinical trial make the patients feel more comfortable about participating?
2. How can patients decide whether to participate in a clinical trial for a serious condition like cancer, knowing they may be getting a placebo?
3. How can a patient in a clinical trial best overcome challenges during treatment?
Question: What do you think of the topic, "How can we improve literacy?" for a problem solution essay?
Answer: Here are some other topics:
1. What reading education program best prevents students from growing up illiterate?
2. What is literacy?
3. How can parents help their children learn to read well?
Question: How is "what is effective gun control?" as a problem solution essay topic?
Answer: That topic is more of an explaining essay or an argument. If you are writing a problem solution essay, I'd suggest the following:
1. What gun control laws are effective at stopping crime?
2. How can we solve the problem of gun violence?
3. How can we solve the problem of mass shootings?
4. What gun control would most effectively prevent misuse of guns?
Question: What do you think of the question, "How can college students study effectively and earn better grades?"
Answer: You have an excellent question, and looking at the research on this would be helpful for your work in college. In fact, I always enjoy it when students do a topic like this because it lets the rest of the class think about what makes an effective schedule for studying. Often, I suggest that students interview people they know who make good grades or seem to have good study habits.
Question: How can I explore a possible solution to the problem of my problem solution essay?
Answer: My full instructions for finding a solution are in my article "How to Write a Problem Solution Essay" which you can find here: https://hubpages.com/academia/How-to-Write-a-Propo...
Question: What do you think of the topic, "how can I solve problems in my area?" as a problem solution essay?
Answer: Solving problems in your own local area is a great way to focus for this sort of essay. However, you need to focus on just one particular problem to solve. No solution can solve all the problems. Here are some examples:
1. How can we solve the problem of kids not getting enough to eat during the summer in our town?
2. How can we solve the problem of student's cheating in my school?
3. How can we solve the problem of traffic congestion on our streets?
Question: What is the greatest challenge I will face in my composition class?
Answer: For most students, the biggest challenge is time management. Papers are much better if they are written early so that you can go back and revise them and do all of the final editing steps that I suggest in my article 10 Steps for Proofreading and Revising: https://owlcation.com/humanities/Essay-Revision-St...
Question: I'm having difficulty with my essays because I never know how to start an essay and I don't know how I should start the introduction. Clearly, the introduction is the heart of the whole essay. So, I am facing that problem. How should I think through the introduction?
Answer: In a problem solution essay, the introduction is very easy. You simply have to describe the problem, and then the last sentence is something like: What can we do to solve this problem? Then you write your thesis, which is your idea about the solution. Here is my article which describes how to write this sort of essay, including different ideas about the introduction:https://owlcation.com/academia/How-to-Write-a-Prop...
Question: How would you recommend writing an essay topic for the question "How can I do a better job as a parent than my parents did for me?"
Answer: Problem solution essays are such a useful form of thinking and expressing yourself because by learning this process you can not only try to solve issues in a community or the world but also your own personal problems and interests. Before you write on this topic, you would have to make sure your instructor lets you write about personal issues. However, even if they do not, you can actually work out this essay by turning it into a universal question: How can parents do a good job in parenting when they have had a difficult growing up? The key to answering these kinds of questions is researching the best ideas for good parenting and comparing that with the parenting techniques that are familiar to you.
Question: How can I start my first paragraph in my research essay which is talking about the need for more awareness of the nursing shortage?
Answer: A great way to start any problem essay is to give a story about someone experiencing the problem. It can be a personal experience or a typical situation. In the case of the nursing shortage, you can either use the experience of a typical nurse who has too many patients to care for and is feeling stressed or doesn't have the time to do a good job, or it can be a patient who has to wait too long, or has the nurse miss some important health information because they don't have the time to spend with them. Perhaps the patient is thirsty or has to go to the bathroom and has too wait too long for help and soils themselves. After you tell a dramatic story illustrating the problem, it is also most effective if you give some statistics showing the extent of the problem. Use your statistics or statements from an authority to convince the reader that your story is not just an isolated incident, but is actually a common situation that needs correcting.
Question: What do you think of this topic as a writing sample for a post-grad program, "How to prevent the stigmatization of special needs children in the society?" How can I develop this topic?
Answer: You have an interesting topic idea. To develop it, you need to look at research to find out what has worked to best incorporate special needs children into communities. You can also ask families, and special needs teachers for ideas of what they have found makes the children most feel included.
Question: What do you think of an essay topic about relieving stress in college?
Answer: That is a good topic , or you could do:
1. Ways to survive college: what a college student can do to relieve stress.
2. How can college students learn to relax?
3. When is enough? How can college students learn to balance studying and life.
Question: What do you think of the topic, "What can be done to help relieve stress in college?" for a problem solution essay?
Answer: That is a good topic but pretty common. I've written an article on it myself: https://hubpages.com/academia/How-to-Handle-Colleg...
Question: How can I write an essay on cyberbullying and how it can affect our social problems?
Answer: In a problem solution essay, you want to have a topic which gives you a chance to offer a solution. Here are some better ideas:
1. How can we prevent cyberbullying?
2. How can we help young people deal with social media appropriately?
3. What can schools do to make sure that they help students to work together to prevent cyberbullying?
4. What can parents do to help a child who is having social problems through cyberbullying?
Question: What do you think of the topic, "What is the best way to prevent DUI and deaths due to drunk driving?" for a problem solution essay?
Answer: That question works, or you could do:
1. Does education work best to prevent DUI deaths?
2. Should there be harsher penalties for driving DUI?
Question: How could "right to die laws" become a problem/solution essay?
Answer: Here are some possible topics you could do on that subject:
1. What is the best way to help people who are terminally ill have a good end-of-life experience?
2. How can we be sure that people who use the Right to Die laws to end their life really want to make that choice?
Question: What do you think of the topic, "How can we help the poor in our community?" for a Problem-Solution essay?
Answer: Here are some other questions:
1. Who is responsible for helping the poor in our community?
2. Can a community really improve the condition of the poor?
3. What practical things can each person do to help the poor in our community?
Question: What do you think of the topic, "Are poverty and broken homes causing teenage pregnancy?" for a problem solution essay?
Answer: Your topic idea is interesting but it is usually better for your question to not include the answer. Here are some better ways to phrase your idea:
What is the cause of teenagers becoming pregnant?
How can we best solve the problem of teenage pregnancy?
What are the effects on today's teens of an increase in poverty and broken homes?
Question: I have to write a proposal argument essay on "How can healthcare be made available for everyone around the world?" How should I go about this?
Answer: It would be difficult to talk about how to make health care available around the world equally, but you might want to talk about how it could be done for an individual country.
Question: What do you think of the topic, "How can kids be persuaded not to experiment with illegal drugs?" for a problem solution essay?
Answer: Other possibilities:
1. Does the "Just Say No" campaign really work?
2. What is the most effective way to keep children away from drugs?
3. How can parents help their children to not experiment with illegal drugs?
4. How can schools best prevent their students from illegal drug use and experimentation?
Question: How do I write a problem solution essay about community issues?
Answer: Here are my instructions about how to write a solution essay: https://hubpages.com/academia/How-to-Write-a-Propo...
Question: How do I come up with a research question about police brutality?
Answer: Here are some possible questions:
1. Is police brutality really a problem?
2. What causes police brutality?
3. How important is it to stop police brutality?
5. How can we solve the problem of police brutality?
For help in writing this paper see my article: https://owlcation.com/humanities/Writing-Argument-...
Question: Can you list the problems and solutions with reference to an increase in the number of private schools?
Answer: Here are some topic ideas:
1. Is it a problem when there is an increase in the number of private schools?
2. How can we make sure that private schools all offer a good education and have enough money to stay in business?
3. Should students go to a new private school?
4. How can private schools keep competitive?
Question: What is a good project proposal on social issues?
Answer: I have a number of social issues topics in some of my other articles. Here is one article that might help: https://hubpages.com/academia/Topic-List-for-Posit...
Question: I need to write an academic paper on "a business or economic topic which has a problem." Do you have any ideas?
Answer: Many problems in business can be found in just looking at a newspaper or thinking about job issues that people are concerned about. Here are some samples:
1. What causes chronic unemployment and how do we fix it?
2. What causes so many small businesses to fail and how can they be helped to succeed?
3. How do we fix the tax system to be fairer?
4. How do we make it easier for small businesses to get started?
5. What can we do about the fact that businesses like Facebook and Google know so much about us?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on July 01, 2020:
Thanks Mars for giving me this feedback. I think you have done some excellent thinking about your subject and I'm glad you are also interacting with your professor. I'm sure your paper will be excellent!
Mars on June 27, 2020:
Hi again Virginia!
So I decided to scrap my original idea and used your idea of cross-cultural communication in airlines. I found a few excellent articles on implementing effective training programs that will tackle the cultural barrier! Just wanted to say thank you so much for your advice!
Mars on June 26, 2020:
Thank you for your response! I hadn't given any thought to hospitals or airlines! Those are great suggestions! I decided to go with problems within organizations.
I created this XYZ statement,
• X: How organizations can harness the power of learning a new languages to strengthen intercultural communication skills within the workplace.
• Y: To discover how learning a new language can break down cultural barriers and eliminate miscommunication.
• Z: To invest in the personal development of employees by encouraging organizations to provide language learning programs that will strengthen employee relationships and intercultural communication skills.
However, my professor feels that it will be too hard to tie that into increasing intercultural competence with other employees and suggests I find another avenue.
Do you have any suggestions? I am really struggling with creating these XYZ statements so any help is appreciated! Thank you!
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on June 25, 2020:
Hi Mars, How about talking about cross-cultural communication in a particular business or health setting, such as a hospital, airline, or similar setting?
Mars on June 24, 2020:
My assignment has tasked us to propose a problem within our specific majors. With mine being communication arts, I have a pretty wide range of topics to choose from which has actually made it more difficult for me to pick! I've been leaning towards tackling problems in intercultural or cross cultural communications but am struggling with the specifics. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
ARJUMANDBONU on June 01, 2020:
mukhaye emily on August 05, 2019:
Thanks for this information ,please help me know how to write a proposal that can attract support for the community struggling with high levels of early pregnancy /school drop out
Surayyo on February 21, 2019:
It is fantastic!!!!
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on November 27, 2018:
Truthfully Ada, that does sound like a confusing assignment. Understanding it depends a lot on what problem your group's annotated bibliography is trying to solve. I think you need to ask your instructor for clarification.
Ada on November 27, 2018:
I was given this homework, but I am really confused. "Your job in that proposal argument essay will be to persuade taxpayers that there is a problem related to some aspect of your group's annotated bibliography subtopic and that this problem is worth solving. Post the solution you plan to propose, state whether it will be a practical proposal or a policy proposal, and point out two ways the country would benefit if your proposal was implemented".
Yulduz Umidovna on November 26, 2018:
Nobody on October 31, 2018:
What can be done to acquire worldwide true peace and security?
gyanendra mocktan from Kathmandu,Nepal on October 09, 2018:
Yes indeed, Virginia Kearney. I have to work through the steps of solving the problem. I agree with your points Thank you again
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on October 08, 2018:
Thanks for your comments Gyanedra Mocktan. We all have many problems to work out in life. I've found that working through the steps of solving problems can help me make decisions more clearly.
gyanendra mocktan from Kathmandu,Nepal on October 07, 2018:
Thank Virginia Kearney. Ths article is valuable not only for me but for all even outside the hubpages.com community.
I will share this article on the FB wall. Thank you again
gyanendra mocktan from Kathmandu,Nepal on October 07, 2018:
I have just stopped teaching an adult student since yesterday. I had been teaching for 10 months. It was an abrupt ending.
The whole night I had been thinking about problem and solution only.
However, I find your article procuticle for me ti handle my situation.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on June 10, 2018:
Siranush, start your paper with a story about someone who is depressed and then give statistics about depression. The thesis statement should be something like: While no one can take responsibility for solving someone else's depression, there are some things that friends and family can do to help a person who is depressed.
Siranush on June 09, 2018:
Would you tell me how I must write about an introduction of “What is the best way to help someone who is depressed “ and also thesis statment.Can you help me please
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on March 27, 2018:
I've had my students do a research paper about solving world problems for several years now. Check out my article for some ideas: https://owlcation.com/academia/Can-College-Student...
Angeles Edwin on March 27, 2018:
I hope by the the time this has reached to you all is well
So there's an essay competition and am supposed to write something unique on the change that i wish to make in my society or globally and i am having troubles coming up with the suitable unique essay topic
Would you please help?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on March 19, 2018:
Bernard, I suggest that you talk with your fellow students about problems that they have as they both work and go to school. In your paper, you would list each problem and then suggest a few solutions. For example, you might talk about finding time to do homework and then give solutions like making a schedule, studying during lunch, or finding a partner to help you keep accountable.
Bernard on March 19, 2018:
Mature working students have a lot of challenges. In an article to a newspaper, discuss some of the problems and suggest solutions.
Please how do I go about this article?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on March 09, 2018:
Elvira, if your topic is about a person with potenital, you are probably not doing a problem solution essay. You are writing a reflection essay and I have an article which gives all of the instructions you will need, including information about how to do the introduction. Here is the link to that article:https://owlcation.com/humanities/How-to-Write-a-Re...
Elvira on March 09, 2018:
How can I start writing my essay topic is about Aperson with potential.I don't know how to start.can you please help me?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on February 17, 2018:
Kanika--It is a good idea to turn your topic into a question and an answer. Here are some examples:
What is the effect of divorce on young children (or teenagers or college students)? Your answer would be your thesis. Another topic idea could be:
What is the effect of divorce on men (or women)?
What is the effect of divorce on a person's work? See my article on how to write a cause effect paper.
Kanika on February 16, 2018:
Can you help me to find topic sentence on,Effect of divorce?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on February 10, 2018:
Sayed, you will find many information technology questions if you go to my article
on Technology paper ideas: https://owlcation.com/academia/100-Technology-Topi...
Sayed Abid sadat on February 10, 2018:
Hi! I need your help to select my topic on information technology to write my artical. thank you
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on January 25, 2018:
Hi Mr. Johnson, I have everything you might need for writing a college essay on my website. You can look on my profile page or search for my articles on: choosing a topic; writing a thesis and topic sentences; how to organize and write different kinds of essays; using commas and semicolons correctly; easy words to use as sentence starters to write better essays and much more. I have over 100 articles about writing to help you out!
Dick Johnson on January 24, 2018:
Hi! I Have An Assignment I Have To Do In My College Class On Friday And I Was Looking For Some Advise! Thanks!
Richard Cranium on January 24, 2018:
This website helped my child with her homework.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on January 18, 2018:
I have many articles on different subjects for you to look at. Many of the ones in this article would work fine but you can also look at my articles which are specifically for high school students. A good paper idea is one that interests you and it will be easier to write if you immediately can think of your opinion on that topic and some examples you can use from your own life, something you've read, current news or an example from literature, a movie or another video.
Stupid Pickle on January 18, 2018:
I have to write an essay for English is there any topics that you would recommend for a high school freshman
tommy wensyel on January 10, 2018:
this article was very helpful and it wasn t bias my english teacher wanted us to write an essay. it was really helpful i got a lot of good ideas
Jawaher on December 22, 2017:
How can get out bad relationship
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on November 15, 2017:
Hi Trang--I have a lot of information to help you write your paper. Look for my articles about how to write argument, problem solution and proposal papers. In order to discuss two solutions, you just need to think about two possible answers to the question that have not yet been done. For example, in the question "How can students get enough good sleep each night?" two good answers that are equal would be: making a schedule for work and sleep, and using a technology device like a cell phone or fitbit that tracks sleep patterns.
Trang Phan on November 15, 2017:
my writing teacher asks me to choose a pro-solution topic that is practically related to student life. After that i have to draw out two solutions which are equal to each other.It means that both of them can not be currently done. it seems so difficult
sssssss on November 12, 2017:
How can healthcare be ensured for everyone around the world?
Damtaodu on September 26, 2017:
How do one respond to new challenges and adapting to a different environment, living without familiar amenities, interacting with new and different types of people and studying intensively among others.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on September 12, 2017:
Hi Kashymawoh--I'm glad you've decided on a topic for your essay. You can find everything you need to know about writing it by looking at my other articles on writing problem solution essays and writing argument essays. If you don't see the link for that, search in my profile, which you can find on the top right of the page.
kashymawoh on September 12, 2017:
hi Virginia, i am writing an essay on solving unemployment issues in Nigeria, kindly assist me.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on July 25, 2017:
Hi Cassandra! After you choose your topic, be sure to look at my article about how to write a solution essay. I give all the instructions you should need. If you want help revising or with punctuation, you can find articles on those topic too.
Cassandra Pines on July 25, 2017:
I need to write a 6-7 page essay about a social movement. I don't know how to start
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on May 24, 2017:
Hi, Sparsh, Your best help would be to look at my other articles about how to write problem solution essays and argument essays. You might also like to look at my articles on Toulmin, Rogerian and Classical argument strategies. These articles include specific instruction on how to organize and outline your essay as well as how to argue effectively for your solution. In addition, they provide samples with commentary on why these work. Finally, you ought to look at my articles on how to write a great thesis and topic sentences. You can find these by searching for my name on Letterpile, or by looking on my profile page. I have over 100 articles on writing to help you out.
SPARSH AGARWAL on May 24, 2017:
I am preparing for writing section of PCAT exam. In the writing section, there are generally problem solution essays. It is my humble request if you could provide me with a source where there are more of problem solution sample essays, so that I can prepare accordingly and practice writing on the problems mentioned above.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on March 29, 2017:
Problems with health can be related to disease or preventative measures like diet and exercise. Here are some easy health-related topics: How can a person with Celiac disease best manage their diet? How can students best exercise and eat to be healthy? What are the best strategies to avoid illness? How can people avoid heart disease? What is the best way to stay healthy if you have diabetes?
poo on March 29, 2017:
i want a health related topic. like people should be concerned about their health. but what problem can i state?
Stevie Glenn from Minneapolis on February 26, 2017:
Great topics on education! Good sources for quick education articles.
Chris Velo on January 16, 2017:
Thank you for all the topics to write on; I would read one section thinking that I couldn't write anything only to discover a few points I had to make into a quick essay.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on December 27, 2016:
Hi Colleen--I'd suggest you look at my Non-Profit Research Paper article for help.https://toughnickel.com/personal-finance/Research-...
Colleen on December 26, 2016:
I have a Critical Analysis & Research Writing paper due the assignment is A Good for A Community: A Research Based-Solution Essay I am having the most difficult time with this. Can you help?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on December 12, 2016:
KyLie--That is an interesting idea. The departmental final exam for my students included a question about this topic. I will see if I can add some to the list.
KyLie on December 12, 2016:
I would like some topics on the death of Harambe the gorilla....
Karla on November 10, 2016:
Should have a topic about animal abuse or cruelty!
Bangladesh Page on February 23, 2016:
Here is a lot of topics to write on. It really makes me think to write something on the topics. There are some topics here I never thought that an essay can be written! Thanks for sharing.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on December 24, 2015:
Hi Zero, I don't exactly understand what you want. Perhaps you mean you want to write an essay about "How to find a good job?" or "Solving the difficult problem of finding a good job?"
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on November 20, 2015:
Hi mtariqsattar--I actually have also written articles about how to write essays of many types. You can search for this on Hubpages or just look for the links next to my topic ideas articles.
Tariq Sattar from Karachi on November 20, 2015:
Hi there VirginiaLynne, I don't know how to start but you nailed it and you seem to possess command over topics. You do justify what you have said in your profile.
Anyway, I enjoyed reading your hub - it is helpful to those who are seeking to teach essay at the college or university level, and those who want to writer such a genre of essay. That is problem-solution essay.
I would ask though about the tips to writing an essay quickly and accurately at the same time. How should you as an essay writer achieve both ends?
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on April 17, 2015:
Thanks for the ideas Jaime--I may think about putting some solution ideas into another article.
b.s.s on April 08, 2015:
Wow!! What a great topics
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on March 25, 2015:
So glad Symphony Dunbar that you are using my site to get good ideas. You must be doing a good job writing those essays too!
Symphony Dunbar on March 24, 2015:
I love this site. I come on here, get a topic, write an essay, get an A+, just like that!
sera on February 11, 2015:
Thanks it helped so much
Maria Cuevas on December 01, 2014:
I would really like environment issues. It is very passionate among many.
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on October 28, 2014:
Hi Justin--Glad this helped you. I have a 5th grade daughter and two daughters in 7th. I used to teach 6th grade myself and know that you are learning a lot about writing!
justin on October 28, 2014:
I really like the questions for the problem and solution it makes me want to improve some mistakes I made.P.S. I'm a 6th grader.
Tessa on September 10, 2014:
Awesome website! I'm definitely going to use one of these topics. Helped a lot. Thanks!!!!!
Hyder on July 15, 2014:
How "Education is solution all our problem" I want to write essay this topic anyone help me
Ova ELai on July 13, 2014:
I would like a topic on counselling a teenage who thinks is having a sexually transmitted disease or HIV
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on July 10, 2014:
Thanks Ashley--I will write some topics about that!
Ashley on July 10, 2014:
Military life topics would be great!
djelke16 on April 06, 2014:
Great topics! Thank you so much.
Dottie on February 18, 2014:
Thank you! This was so helpful!
Rachel on November 18, 2013:
This website is perfect! Helped me a lot, thanks!
Lcarter on November 06, 2013:
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on November 02, 2013:
So glad I helped you Kaiya! I know that getting the right topic and finding some good information can really help someone overcome that writer's block that makes starting an essay so hard!
kaiya123 on November 02, 2013:
This helped a ton! Anyone of these topics could easily be well written, being that there is so much information about each topic. I seriously couldn't have thought of any of these topics, and this definitely helped my essay. There was many topics to choose from, depending on the area you are interested in. It made me think about what I really wanted to write about! Thanks so much!!! :)
Maria Jordan from Jeffersonville PA on October 12, 2013:
A meaty and worthwhile list of subjects for anyone to pursue...most thought provoking and interesting topics. Excellent job.
Voted UP and UAI. Hugs, Maria
SaM on September 10, 2013:
This HELPED a lot! Thanks!
Pamela Oglesby from Sunny Florida on June 24, 2013:
You really thought of so many valid topic that are all worthy of discussion. Anyone of this topic could easily be written about and really there are so many problems, it is a bit overwhelming, but then we must start somewhere. This is a great idea for a hub and no one should have to have writer's block anymore. Voted up and useful.