Tim Truzy is a minister in a Christian church, and he has participated in other religions.
The Importance of Blood in Life and Worship for Humanity
Unquestionably, blood has crucial functions in our lives and in worship. Primarily, the vital fluid brings nutrients to our body tissues. The blood delivers oxygen to the lungs and carries away carbon dioxide. In addition, blood takes away waste from our body’s organs, and it is filtered and cleaned by the liver and kidneys. Moreover, blood carries immune cells and antibodies to places of infections, forming clots at wound sites to halt the loss of further fluids. Finally, blood helps in regulating body temperature. Since blood is important to survival, there is little wonder why religions have incorporated it symbolically into worship activities.
The use of blood physically or as a symbol in religions can have many connotations. For instance, a rite of passage could be involved, which may include nonlethal piercings. Many religions may demonstrate death by evoking images of blood. Indeed, rebirth or initiation could be called forth applying the universally recognized fluid for life.
Coincidentally, Christians believe once a person has accepted Jesus Christ as the Savior, His blood spiritually is the means by which sins are forgiven. As a Christian minister, I’ve provided verses below from the Old and New Testaments of the King James Version of the Bible along with what other religions say about the vital life-supporting substance circulating inside of every living human being.
Bible Verses From the Old Testament Concerning Blood
- Deuteronomy 12:23 - Only be sure that thou eat not the blood: for the blood is the life; and thou mayest not eat the life with the flesh.
- Exodus 12:13 - And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.
- Ezekiel 35:6 - Therefore, as I live, saith the Lord God, I will prepare thee unto blood, and blood shall pursue thee: sith thou hast not hated blood, even blood shall pursue thee.
- Genesis 9:4 - But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.
- Leviticus 17:11 - “For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.”
- Leviticus 17:14 - “For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life thereof: therefore I said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh: for the life of all flesh is the blood thereof: whosoever eateth it shall be cut off.”
Bible Verses From the New Testament Concerning Blood
- 1 John 1:7 - But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
- 1 John 5:6 - This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
- Acts 15:20 - But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
- Ephesians 2:13 - But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
- John 6:53 - Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
- Hebrews 9:22 - And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
- Hebrews 13:12 - Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.
- Matthew 26:28 - For this is my blood of the New Testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
- Revelation 1:5 - and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
Other Religions' Views About Blood and Worship
Certainly, most religions recognize the literal and symbolic power of blood with important considerations. For example, in Islam, the human body must not be violated. But blood transfusions can be conducted in order to save life under specific conditions in several interpretations of the Koran.
Furthermore, blood sacrifices are an essential component of the Hindu faith. These offerings vary depending on the deity involved and the desired outcome. Sources about Hinduism indicate even victory in a dispute may require a blood sacrifice.
Finally, the Blackfoot tribe of Canada and the United States required a sacred pledge to be taken during a blood ritual. Young warriors usually made their traditional oaths during the sun dance ceremony. However, authorities have banned the blood ritual because of the element of self-torment.
Recommended for You
Final Thoughts From the Christian Perspective
Nevertheless, Christians comprehend that Jesus Christ chose to shed His blood on the cross during the crucifixion to give humankind a chance for redemption. many Christians believe that acceptance of Christ as the Savior brings a person into membership of the church as a Christians. No physical sacrifice is needed. The spiritual transformative blood of Jesus Christ “washes” sins away while a rebirth of the inner being is initiated for the individual, noted in Revelation 1:5. In short, blood is essential for humankind in this world and preparing for the next realm, according to a variety of religious views.
Ayoub, M. M. (2005). Islam: faith and history. Oxford: Oneworld.
Vasu Śrīśa Candra, Madhva, & Basu, B. D. (1974). The sacred books of the Hindus. New York: AMS Pr.
Schaller, J. (2008). Human blood plasma proteins: structure and function. Chichester, West Sussex, England: John Wiley & Sons.
Tim Truzy (author) from U.S.A. on August 30, 2020:
In two or three years, a blood test may be available which can predict the presence of Alzheimer’s disease. According to research presented at the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference, the blood test may be able to predict whether the deadly disease will occur as early as 20 years before thinking and memory difficulties arise. Our blood can give us warnings about our future life situation in many circumstances. I appreciate your visit.
Tim Truzy (author) from U.S.A. on August 10, 2020:
RH-factor is crucial in blood. It determines whether blood types are positive or negative. Type O is the universal donor for all blood types. AB+ is the universal receiver from all blood types. However, Type O- can only receive blood from type O-. But hospitals tend to use plasma these days because it creates less problems for our bodies. Essentially, we are still learning more and more about this life sustaining fluid. May your day be peaceful.
Tim Truzy (author) from U.S.A. on August 02, 2020:
Currently, plasma, a component of blood, is being used to fight a scourge plaguing our planet. Scientists have learned to use blood with antibiotics from people infected by a notorious virus to help others. Once the person survives the sickness, his/her plasma is useful. Blood helps life continue in many areas. Thanks for reading.
Tim Truzy (author) from U.S.A. on July 11, 2020:
In the book of Ezekiel in the Bible, there is a verse some believe will stop bleeding. It is in chapter 6 verse 15. Reciting the verse thrice while walking toward the East is believed to halt the bleeding of a wound. Although I haven’t tried this, I would not doubt the power of God either. However, applying direct pressure, washing, and using bandages is a proven method as well. In fact, if blood loss is severe enough from an injury, a person should seek medical attention. After all, God made doctors for a purpose, too. I appreciate your visit to my work.
Tim Truzy (author) from U.S.A. on July 10, 2020:
All blood is not equal in human beings. Although all blood in people perform the same tasks, blood can be classified in to types. One type is O- (O negative). Some studies show this blood type is somewhat resistant to a virus which is causing havoc all over the world. Yet, there are probably strengths and weaknesses to all blood types. Thanks for visiting.
Tim Truzy (author) from U.S.A. on July 10, 2020:
Reading the biblical texts carefully, one cannot help recognize Christ symbolism as “the Lamb,” and how earlier Israelites sacrificed to God. Christians understand Christ died, allowing his blood to be the cleansing force for our sins in accordance with God’s plan. Christians are saved through the “blood” sacrifice of Christ. I appreciate the visit.