125 High School English Argument Topics
Trends and Fads
- Why do teens fall in love with celebrities? Or idolize them?
- Why do teens spend so much time playing video games? What makes these games so much fun to play?
- Is playing video games addictive? Is there a point where these games become dangerous?
- Does violence in video gaming cause some people to act out violently? If so, is there something we can do to prevent this?
- Why are the old-style arcade games still so popular?
- Which is the best arcade game to play? Why?
- Is the skating rink still a good place for teens to hang out?
- Why do teens like to go to the mall? What do they do when they go?
- Is it really impolite to ignore a text from a friend? Do you need to text back right away?
- Is it all right to text to ask someone out?
- Is social media becoming more important than face to face communication among teens?
- Should schools allow teens to use their phones and tablets in school?
- What is the best current fashion trend? What is the worst?
- Which current pop star is really a good singer? Or is there a current popular singer you'd like to argue is terrible?
- What is the best way to listen to your favorite music?
- Is hearing your favorite band at a small venue better? Or is there more excitement at a big concert?
- Should you pay money to buy the products of a band or artist you like? How obligated are you to support the artists you listen to?
- Is it ever right to post negative comments or pictures about someone online?
- Is there more bullying in high schools than in the past? Have the things people get bullied about changed?
- Should people under 18 be allowed to get a tattoo?
- Is wearing glasses cooler than it used to be?
- Do guys look better with facial hair?
- Do teenagers today care more about helping out and volunteering than teenagers in the past?
- How can teens help friends who have self-destructive behaviors like eating disorders, cutting or substance abuse?
- Who influences teens the most?
Parents and Teens
How does divorce affect teens?
- Should parents give their teenagers an allowance?
- What should teens have to pay for on their own? What should parents pay for?
- How much money do teens need to have to spend?
- Should parents give their teens a car and pay for gas and upkeep? Or is it better for teenagers to work to buy their own car?
- What causes teenagers to rebel against their parents?
- When should parents give their child a phone?
- Do all teenagers need a smartphone? Should parents give them one?
- What kind of curfew should parents set for teenagers? Should the rules change at different ages? How?
- How much housework should high school students be expected to do?
- Should parents be the ones to teach their kids about sex? What topics should they discuss?
- Should parents set rules for how their teenagers dress?
- Should teenagers whose parents are divorced be allowed to choose who they live with? At what age should they be able to choose?
- Should parents have a say in who their teens date?
- What sort of skills are the most important for parents teach their teenagers? (examples: cooking, taking care of a car, cleaning, banking, yard work, house maintenance, emergency medical care etc.)
- Should parents be their children's best friend?
- Is it right for divorced parents to lean on their children for support?
- Should teenagers work to help support the family?
- When should parents allow their children to drop out of school?
- If a teenager becomes pregnant, should her parents encourage her to keep it? Or perhaps adopt the child themselves?
- How should parents be an example to their children?
- If a father earns plenty of money for his family is that enough? Does he owe his children more than that?
- What is the most important thing a mother can give to her children?
- What is the most important thing a father can give to his children?
- How can grandparents best support and help their grandchildren?
- Should parents force their children to participate in sports or other activities?
- How important is it to graduate from high school?
- Should high schools have dress codes?
- How much time should high school students have to spend on homework each day?
- Should there be a hair code for boys in school?
- Are uniforms a good idea for high schools?
- Would it help learning if all students were given an iPad or another tablet?
- Should schools invest in electronic books rather than regular textbooks?
- Do students learn better when they do group projects?
- Should all high school students have to take a foreign language?
- Should schools have a test that all students have to pass in order to graduate?
- Is the GED as good as a high school diploma?
- Should high schools have a daycare so that students who have babies can continue to go to school?
- Should high schools team up with businesses so that some students can do an apprenticeship that leads to job skills instead of an academic degree?
- How important is prom?
- Do high school football players get favored treatment? Is this good or bad?
- How important is it to participate in sports in high school?
- Why is being in band or orchestra a good activity for high school students?
- Can classes like art and music help students emotionally?
- Why should students get involved in speech, debate or theater?
- How can competitions in mathematics, business, robotics or engineering help a student in the future? Should more students participate in these type of clubs or competitions?
- Why should a high school student consider being part of the Future Farmers of America (FAA) club or class?
- How should teachers in high school handle the class clown or the disruptive students?
- Should PDA (personal displays of affection) be allowed in the halls at high school?
- How should lockers be assigned at school?
- Should students be allowed to go off campus for lunch?
Do Teens Really Have Problems?
- Should teenagers get a job? What are the advantages? Disadvantages?
- What kind of job is best for people in high school?
- How many hours should teens spend working? How can they best balance school and work?
- How can teenagers best organize their schedule so that they can do well in school and also participate in sports, activities, and clubs?
- Are teens today more stressed and pressured than their parents were?
- How important is sleep to teenagers? How much sleep should they get?
- How can teens avoid being pressured to use drugs or drink alcohol?
- How effective are programs like Mothers Against Drunk Driving and other programs that teach students about the dangers of alcohol?
- Why do teens engage in risky behaviors?
- Is the teenage brain different than the brain of adults?
- What causes the most conflict between teens and their parents?
- Are teens today smarter than the previous generation because of their use of technology?
- How does the increase in testing in schools affect teens emotionally?
- What causes teens to try to commit suicide?
- How many friends do teens really need to have?
- Do public high schools help or prevent teens from having good friendships?
- What cliques or groups do teens in your school tend to fall into?
- Is there a way to prevent teenagers from forming social groups and making some kids feel like outcasts?
- Why do most teenagers feel uncomfortable with their bodies?
- Why is the music and styles of their parents (70s to 80s) so popular with teens today? What makes this generation of teens want to be like their parents?
- What skills will this generation need to have as adults that their parents did not need to know?
- What makes a good teenage friendship?
- Is it better to date a lot of different people in high school or to stick with just one relationship?
- Should you date a good friend?
- How can you get out of the "friendship zone" in a relationship?
- Is it a good idea to talk about your problems with your friends? Does that really help?
- Why are so many teens so unhappy?
- Are men of this generation as sexist as previous generations?
- Should teenage women be free to ask a guy out on a date?
- Are acne and pimples something you just have to live with? What is the best way to take care of acne?
- What is the thing that causes teens the most stress?
- How does a parent's divorce affect teens?
- What kinds of problems do teenagers have with their friends?
- What if the effect on teens of moving to a new school during high school?
- Is it important to be popular? What should teens do or not do to be liked by others?
- Should parents send troubled teens to a boot camp?
- When should teens intervene to help a friend who is going the wrong direction? What should they do?
- Do adults understand the problems of today's students? Are the teens of today facing more problems and difficulties than their parents faced at the same age?
- How does gossip affect the lives of teens?
- How does having learning problems make high school more difficult?
- Does going to church help teens deal with their problems?
- How do teens today view religion?
- Is it all right for a young woman to want mostly to be a wife and mother?
- How do teens feel about parents, grandparents and other older relatives?
- Who do teens turn to for advice and help?
- Who should teach teens about sex? What do they need to be told?
- Should report cards include student's Body Mass Index (BMI) as an incentive to help teens keep a healthy weight?
- How should friends and family intervene if they suspect a teen has an eating disorder?
- Should all schools have counselors available for teens to talk to about problems?
- What causes the most conflict in friendships?
Which problem do you think worries most teens the most?
Check Articles on the Right for More Help!
Now that you've chosen a topic, be sure to check out my other articles for help in gathering your ideas, organizing them, writing and editing.
Questions & Answers
Why did you create this website?
Actually, I created this website because my former students would email me to request copies of my teaching materials and I thought it would be easier to give them the link to a webpage. Much to my surprise, many other people found my materials useful in learning how to write English essays. Since I discovered that many people who were never my classroom students were using these lessons, I re-wrote them to include information that I usually give in a classroom lecture. I hope you find these materials helpful to you and am happy to provide them for free. I actually have a full year's worth of college English instruction (over 100 articles) posted here. Currently, over 500,000 viewers use my site every month! That is quite a surprise to me.