125 High School English Argument Topics
- Why do teens fall in love with celebrities? Or idolize them?
- Why do teens spend so much time playing video games? What makes these games so much fun to play?
- Is playing video games addictive? Is there a point where these games become dangerous?
- Does violence in video gaming cause some people to act out violently? If so, is there something we can do to prevent this?
- Why are the old-style arcade games still so popular?
- Which is the best arcade game to play? Why?
- Is the skating rink still a good place for teens to hang out?
- Why do teens like to go to the mall? What do they do when they go?
- Is it really impolite to ignore a text from a friend? Do you need to text back right away?
- Is it all right to text to ask someone out?
- Is social media becoming more important than face to face communication among teens?
- Should schools allow teens to use their phones and tablets in school?
- What is the best current fashion trend? What is the worst?
- Which current pop star is really a good singer? Or is there a current popular singer you'd like to argue is terrible?
- What is the best way to listen to your favorite music?
- Is hearing your favorite band at a small venue better? Or is there more excitement at a big concert?
- Should you pay money to buy the products of a band or artist you like? How obligated are you to support the artists you listen to?
- Is it ever right to post negative comments or pictures about someone online?
- Is there more bullying in high schools than in the past? Have the things people get bullied about changed?
- Should people under 18 be allowed to get a tattoo?
- Is wearing glasses cooler than it used to be?
- Do guys look better with facial hair?
- Do teenagers today care more about helping out and volunteering than teenagers in the past?
- How can teens help friends who have self-destructive behaviors like eating disorders, cutting or substance abuse?
- Who influences teens the most?
How does divorce affect teens?
Parents and Family
- Should parents give their teenagers an allowance?
- What should teens have to pay for on their own? What should parents pay for?
- How much money do teens need to have to spend?
- Should parents give their teens a car and pay for gas and upkeep? Or is it better for teenagers to work to buy their own car?
- What causes teenagers to rebel against their parents?
- When should parents give their child a phone?
- Do all teenagers need a smartphone? Should parents give them one?
- What kind of curfew should parents set for teenagers? Should the rules change at different ages? How?
- How much housework should high school students be expected to do?
- Should parents be the ones to teach their kids about sex? What topics should they discuss?
- Should parents set rules for how their teenagers dress?
- Should teenagers whose parents are divorced be allowed to choose who they live with? At what age should they be able to choose?
- Should parents have a say in who their teens date?
- What sort of skills are the most important for parents teach their teenagers? (examples: cooking, taking care of a car, cleaning, banking, yard work, house maintenance, emergency medical care etc.)
- Should parents be their children's best friend?
- Is it right for divorced parents to lean on their children for support?
- Should teenagers work to help support the family?
- When should parents allow their children to drop out of school?
- If a teenager becomes pregnant, should her parents encourage her to keep it? Or perhaps adopt the child themselves?
- How should parents be an example to their children?
- If a father earns plenty of money for his family is that enough? Does he owe his children more than that?
- What is the most important thing a mother can give to her children?
- What is the most important thing a father can give to his children?
- How can grandparents best support and help their grandchildren?
- Should parents force their children to participate in sports or other activities?
- How important is it to graduate from high school?
- Should high schools have dress codes?
- How much time should high school students have to spend on homework each day?
- Should there be a hair code for boys in school?
- Are uniforms a good idea for high schools?
- Would it help learning if all students were given an iPad or another tablet?
- Should schools invest in electronic books rather than regular textbooks?
- Do students learn better when they do group projects?
- Should all high school students have to take a foreign language?
- Should schools have a test that all students have to pass in order to graduate?
- Is the GED as good as a high school diploma?
- Should high schools have a daycare so that students who have babies can continue to go to school?
- Should high schools team up with businesses so that some students can do an apprenticeship that leads to job skills instead of an academic degree?
- How important is prom?
- Do high school football players get favored treatment? Is this good or bad?
- How important is it to participate in sports in high school?
- Why is being in band or orchestra a good activity for high school students?
- Can classes like art and music help students emotionally?
- Why should students get involved in speech, debate or theater?
- How can competitions in mathematics, business, robotics or engineering help a student in the future? Should more students participate in these type of clubs or competitions?
- Why should a high school student consider being part of the Future Farmers of America (FAA) club or class?
- How should teachers in high school handle the class clown or the disruptive students?
- Should PDA (personal displays of affection) be allowed in the halls at high school?
- How should lockers be assigned at school?
- Should students be allowed to go off campus for lunch?
Do Teens Really Have Problems?
- Should teenagers get a job? What are the advantages? Disadvantages?
- What kind of job is best for people in high school?
- How many hours should teens spend working? How can they best balance school and work?
- How can teenagers best organize their schedule so that they can do well in school and also participate in sports, activities, and clubs?
- Are teens today more stressed and pressured than their parents were?
- How important is sleep to teenagers? How much sleep should they get?
- How can teens avoid being pressured to use drugs or drink alcohol?
- How effective are programs like Mothers Against Drunk Driving and other programs that teach students about the dangers of alcohol?
- Why do teens engage in risky behaviors?
- Is the teenage brain different than the brain of adults?
- What causes the most conflict between teens and their parents?
- Are teens today smarter than the previous generation because of their use of technology?
- How does the increase in testing in schools affect teens emotionally?
- What causes teens to try to commit suicide?
- How many friends do teens really need to have?
- Do public high schools help or prevent teens from having good friendships?
- What cliques or groups do teens in your school tend to fall into?
- Is there a way to prevent teenagers from forming social groups and making some kids feel like outcasts?
- Why do most teenagers feel uncomfortable with their bodies?
- Why is the music and styles of their parents (70s to 80s) so popular with teens today? What makes this generation of teens want to be like their parents?
- What skills will this generation need to have as adults that their parents did not need to know?
- What makes a good teenage friendship?
- Is it better to date a lot of different people in high school or to stick with just one relationship?
- Should you date a good friend?
- How can you get out of the "friendship zone" in a relationship?
- Is it a good idea to talk about your problems with your friends? Does that really help?
- Why are so many teens so unhappy?
- How can teens help a friend who is suicidal?
- Are men of this generation as sexist as previous generations?
- Should teenage women be free to ask a guy out on a date?
- Are acne and pimples something you just have to live with? What is the best way to take care of acne?
- What is the thing that causes teens the most stress?
- How does a parent's divorce affect teens?
- What kinds of problems do teenagers have with their friends?
- What if the effect on teens of moving to a new school during high school?
- Is it important to be popular? What should teens do or not do to be liked by others?
- Should parents send troubled teens to a boot camp?
- When should teens intervene to help a friend who is going the wrong direction? What should they do?
- Do adults understand the problems of today's students? Are the teens of today facing more problems and difficulties than their parents faced at the same age?
- How does gossip affect the lives of teens?
- How does having learning problems make high school more difficult?
- Does going to church help teens deal with their problems?
- How do teens today view religion?
- Is it all right for a young woman to want mostly to be a wife and mother?
- How do teens feel about parents, grandparents and other older relatives?
- Who do teens turn to for advice and help?
- Who should teach teens about sex? What do they need to be told?
- Should report cards include student's Body Mass Index (BMI) as an incentive to help teens keep a healthy weight?
- How should friends and family intervene if they suspect a teen has an eating disorder?
- Should all schools have counselors available for teens to talk to about problems?
- What causes the most conflict in friendships?
Which problem do you think worries most teens the most?
Check Articles on the Right for More Help!
Now that you've chosen a topic, be sure to check out my other articles for help in gathering your ideas, organizing them, writing and editing.
Questions & Answers
What do you think of the topic, "Why are teens scared to ask for their parents' blessing to start dating?" for an argument essay.
Your question is one that many teens might be interested in discussing. Here are some other ways to word that topic:
1. Why do teens not tell their parents when they start dating someone?
2. How can parents help their teens to date safely and responsibly?
3. Should teens ask their parent's permission before they date someone?
4. Should parents make rules about their teen's dating?
5. What type of rules should parents have about their teens dating?
6. What type of dates are good ones for teens to go on?Helpful 18
Is "What kinds of problems do teenagers have with their friends?" a good topic argument?
That question is a definition essay which would state and then describe those problems. Other essay topics on the same idea would be:
1. How can teenagers best solve problems with friends?
2. Are the problems that teenagers have with friends unique to that age?
3. Has social media changed the kinds of problems that teenagers have with friends?Helpful 9
I need a topic for school. Do you have any good ones to suggest?
Any of the topics on this page would be good for a school essay. You could also look at my other lists of ideas if none of these appeals to you. The best topic for your school essay will be one that you care about. Here are some suggestions I give my students for choosing a topic:
1. Read the instructions of your teacher carefully and circle or underline any of the important words that help you understand what kind of essay you are supposed to write. Common types of essays include: argument, personal reflection, compare/contrast, explain, how to, cause, effect, proposal, problem solution, summary response, and expository. You can look through my articles on Letterpile to find examples, instructions on how to write, and also many lists of topics for all of those kinds of essays. I also have links to research articles to help you out if you are required to use sources for your paper.
To choose the best topic for you, I will give you some of the steps I usually give to students:
1. Write a list of issues they care about or know a lot about.
2. Look at my topic suggestions for possible ideas and examples of how to write a topic question.
3. Choose or write your topic first as a question.
4. Write a full answer to the question, which can be your thesis statement and help you develop your essay.
For more information about how to develop your thesis statement into a full outline, see my articles about how to develop good topic sentences.Helpful 8
Is the topic "Do parents with a drug addiction affect a child's present and future?" a good argumentative essay topic?
The idea of this question is good. However, you want to avoid wording a question so that it asks for a "yes or no" answer. Here are some better alternatives on this topic:
1. How does having parents with a drug addiction affect children?
2. Can a parent's drug addiction cause a child to have problems with substance abuse?
3. How should we best help children whose parents have a drug addiction problem?
4. What can children (or teenagers) do when they realize their parents have a drug addiction?Helpful 6
What is a good argumentative question for a high school research paper?
Many of the topics in this article would be good for your research. However, you might also want to check out my articles which are specifically about researching and give samples, links and writing instructions for college or high school research essays:
or see more academic research ideas here:Helpful 4