Virginia has been a university English instructor for over 20 years. She specializes in helping people write essays faster and easier.
About This List
This list has over 150 questions divided into 15 topic areas to get you started on your English essay. Each topic is listed as a question, which you can use as your essay title. Next, you need to answer that question (which will be your thesis) and then give reasons (which will be your topic sentences). Nee more help? Check out my How to Write an Argument Essay Fast. Before you know it, you'll have written a great essay! Get started by looking at the topic choices below.
Index to Topic Lists Below
High School Life
Food and Eating
Tattoos and Body Piercing
- Will the pandemic make people wear masks during seasonal flu?
- Is online schooling as effective as in-class education?
- How can students prevent stress from staying at home due to COVID-19?
- Has quarantining due to the coronavirus caused families to be closer or farther apart?
- How important is it to wear a facemask when out of the house?
- How can you keep in touch with friends while staying in quarantine?
- What do students find most surprising about staying at home during the coronavirus?
- How can graduating seniors enjoy their last semester while staying at home?
- What new traditions could come out of the COVID-19 situation?
- What is the best way for the country to open up again?
- How has COVID-19 changed students' lives for the better? for the worse?
- How will COVID-19 change students' college plans?
- Should school districts change their attendance policies about illnesses?
- How can teachers make online classes better?
- How can students make the best use of their time when studying at home?
- How can parents of elementary school students best help their children learn at home?
- Will more families consider homeschooling after COVID-19?
- What is the best way to protect yourself from getting infected by the coronavirus?
- Which student groups are negatively affected the most by having to study at home?
- What are the best ways to support learning disabled or physically challenged students when they are learning at home?
- What effect does COVID-19 have on mental stress? How can a person best overcome it?
- How does body image influence mental health?
- Should the fashion industry change their way of advertising?
- Are romantic movies damaging to real relationships?
- Are beauty pageants beneficial to women?
- Do young men have body image problems?
- How does advertising affect the body image of men?
- Should the fashion industry use models that look more like regular people?
- Should brands like Victoria's Secret use plus-sized models?
- Should women get plastic surgery to make themselves have a better self-image?
- Does playing with dolls like Barbie negatively influence a girl’s body image?
- How can young women develop a healthy body image?
- Is satire and comedy news a good way to stay informed?
- What is “fake news?”
- Is there such a thing as “unbiased reporting?”
- What is the best role for news reporters in a digital era?
- Does reporting by ordinary citizens actually give us better news?
- Will newspapers go out of business or become only digital?
- Is crowdfunded journalism going to be an important trend?
- Is our news coverage too narrow?
- How helpful is "fact checking" of speeches?
- Why did the media not get the 2016 American Presidential election or Brexit correct?
Mind and Mental Health
- How does what we eat affect our mental health?
- Does our microbiome really control our brain?
- Can brain damage from drugs be reversed?
- What are the effects of marijuana on the brain?
- Can learning to do lucid dreaming help you?
- What is the best treatment for PSTD?
- Is virtual reality more than just for fun?
- Are video games bad for kids?
- How is the Internet affecting our intelligence?
- What role should race play in American identity?
- What is the best way to help a friend or relative who is an alcoholic?
- How will 3-D printing change our future?
- What research offers the most promising help for disabled people?
- Are self-driving trucks a good idea?
- Is face-detecting software a good way to solve the problem of identity theft?
- How with practical quantum computers change our lives?
- How will 360-degree selfie cameras change the way we share our lives?
- What are the implications of the Cell Atlas?
- Is adding connectivity of our home devices helpful or not?
- Can computers really become intelligent?
- Which is better, PC or Mac?
- Should people be judged by their social media posting?
- Are online dating sites just a scam, or can they form lasting relationships?
- Should texting and driving be illegal?
- Is technology making our attention span shorter?
- Does social media like Twitter have a place in the classroom?
- Does social media negatively impact teenagers social lives?
- How is social media changing parent and child relationships?
- When in social situations is looking at your phone or texting inappropriate?
- What rules should college or high school students follow when posting to social media?
- How can families handle the problem of their child being bullied through social media?
High School Life
- Why join ROTC?
- How can people concentrate better when studying?
- What is the best way to ask a date to prom?
- Is going on a study abroad worth it?
- What is the best sport to join at our school? How did we get our school mascot?
- What are the benefits of being in the FFA, BPA or other school organization?
- Is learning a foreign language in high school important?
- Is prom worth the cost?
- What makes a successful dating relationship?
- Should more high schools have apprenticeships or technical programs so people can get a job right out of school?
Food and Eating
- Why is junk food so addictive?
- Is drinking bottled water a good idea?
- Do fad diets actually work?
- Does eating gluten-free really make people healthier?
- Which fast food restaurant serves the best food?
- Where are the best cheap eating spots in town?
- Which is better, Starbucks or your local coffee shop?
- How important is it to "eat the rainbow?"
- What is the best diet for an athlete?
- Is “all-natural” or “organic” worth paying more for?
- Is homework good or bad for student achievement?
- Which is better, private school, public school or homeschooling?
- Should vaccinations continue to be mandatory in public schools?
- Should “gifted” students receive special educational treatment?
- How do online high schools compare to traditional education?
- Should schools move to having online classes in high school?
- What is the best way to take notes in classes?
- Is teaching suicide prevention in school helpful?
- Should schools switch to e-books?
- Why is math hard?
Read More From Owlcation
Tattoos and Body Piercing
- Why do people get multiple body piercings?
- Why are tattoos a popular trend?
- How do tattoos of men differ from the ones women choose?
- Is getting a tattoo safe?
- What is the most popular tattoo?
- How can you best care for your new tattoo or piercing?
- What are the most popular trends in tattoos this year?
- What makes a bad tattoo idea?
- Is tattoo art?
- Are there some tattoos that should be taboo?
Crimes and Prison
- How can we prevent accidents caused by DUIs?
- Should the death penalty be legal in all states?
- How can we select better juries in high-profile cases?
- Are afterschool programs a good way to reduce violence and gangs?
- What should be the goal of putting someone in prison? Punishment, rehabilitation or something is the
- What is the humane treatment of prisoners?
- Do art, music, and drama help in rehabilitating prisoners?
- Does legalization of marijuana reduce crime?
- Can programs that create jobs prevent crime?
- Do illegal immigrants commit a lot of crimes?
- Should businesses hire mentally and physically disabled people?
- How can employers best encourage better health among their employees?
- Is STEM really the best career choice?
- Is nursing a good career for talented men and women?
- Should tattoos be allowed in the workplace?
- Should people on welfare be required to submit to drug testing?
- Should more employers offer flexible scheduling or working from home?
- Should businesses offer mental health benefits for employees and families?
- Should more businesses offer parental and family leave for both parents?
- Does owning your own business really make a better career?
- How can people best be encouraged to make healthier lifestyle choices?
- How does lack of sleep hurt us?
- What is an allergy?
- Do T.V. shows about overweight people losing weight exploit or help?
- What is the best possible treatment for Type 2 diabetes?
- What is the best way to quit smoking? How can we best solve the problem of antibiotic resistance?
- Are drugs overused in treating mental illness?
- What are the causes and best treatments for bi-polar disease?
- What makes some people able to live to be over 100?
- Does Internet medical information make people healthier?
- Is “virtual reality” going to be important in entertainment?
- Do violent images, music, and games cause people to act out violently?
- Why do adults enjoy Disney movies?
- Why are movies like “The Lion King” ones kids watch over and over?
- Which shows are best for binge watching?
- Why is “Fixer Upper” so popular?
- How does Lego Batman compare to other versions of the Batman franchise?
- Which video game has the best storyline?
- Has Marvel changed the source material too much?
- Which horror movie is really the scariest?
Worst Writing Chore
- Should parents allow their kids to play football?
- How can we make football safer?
- Why is NASCAR losing fans?
- Who is the best quarterback of all time?
- What effect does moving and changing schools have on a high schooler?
- Should college athletes get paid?
- What kinds of sports should be added to the Olympics?
- Can virtual reality help athletes train more effectively?
- How does Rugby compare to American football?
- How can overuse injuries be prevented in high school athletics?
- What are the benefits of growing up in a large family?
- What makes a successful marriage?
- What are the health benefits of marriage?
- What is the value of searching for your genealogy?
- Is interracial marriage a good idea?
- Does living together before marriage create better marriages?
- What is the value of a family vacation?
- How can parents get to know their teenagers better?
- What causes the break-up of marriages?
- What rules should parents have for their teenagers?
Questions & Answers
Question: What do you think of the topic, "What career can I do when I grow up?" as an English essay topic?
Answer: Here are some other versions of this question:
1. What should I do to prepare for a career?
2. What is the best career for someone like me?
3. What are the top career choices for a person in high school to consider?
Question: Would "Is growing up a trap?" be a good essay topic?
Answer: Your question is interesting but somewhat unclear. This would actually make a good title for an essay but the topic question needs to put your ideas into context. A good question could be:
Children all think that only grown-ups have fun, but is growing up really as good as it seems?
Then your thesis can be something like:
Growing up is really a trap because adulthood is not only privileges but also many responsibilities.
Question: What do you think of, "What rules should parents have for their teenagers?" as an English essay topic?
Answer: You can start this essay with a great story about a conflict between parents and teenagers over rules. What would be a really good strategy for writing on this topic is to point out that both sides really want what is best for the teenager and are wanting them to grow up to be a responsible adult, but they have different means for how they think that should happen.
Here are some other topic ideas:
1. How can parents best adjust their rules to let their children learn adult responsibilities and choices?
2. How should teenagers most effectively talk with their parents about changing rules?
3. What is the difference between rules that keep teens safe and rules that are not really necessary?
4. How can parents best instill their own values on their children?
Question: What is the best topic for a quick essay?
Answer: To write a quick essay, you need to choose a topic you know a lot about or a subject that you believe strongly in. It helps if you have spent a lot of time thinking or talking to people about that topic. That will let you easily think of things to say. To find that easy topic, follow these steps:
1. Read my list of easy essay topics (these are divided by subjects to help you scan quickly: sports, healthy living, women, education, business, environment): https://hubpages.com/humanities/Essay-Topic-Ideas.... Or my list of Easy Argument topics (obesity/dieting/food, recycling, families, and relationships, technology, aging and retirement): https://hubpages.com/academia/100-Easy-Argumentati...
2. Find a couple of topic questions you like or know a lot about.
3. Copy these on a Word document.
4. Set a timer for 5 minutes.
5. Just start writing everything you know about that topic.
6. When the timer goes off, look at what you've written. Do you have enough ideas to write a whole paper? Do you think you have a lot of examples you can use just from your head? Do you want to write on this topic? If so, then just get started and use my guidelines for How to Write Your Essay Fast: https://hubpages.com/humanities/How-to-Write-Your-...
7. Not sure you like this topic? Try another topic and do the same 5-minute writing test until you find a topic you know you can easily write on.
I find that when students do this test, they usually are much less frustrated and write a lot more easily. It only takes 5-15 minutes total out of your time, so it is worth it.
Want to know the top 5 easy topics? Here is what my students say:
1. Is technology changing us for better or worse?
2. Is procrastination really a bad thing?
3. How can students best be healthy while in school?
4. Should standardized testing be changed? If so, how?
5. Should you pay attention to what other people think about you?
Question: What are similar topics to the essay topic, "Is mental illness a valid excuse for missing school?"
Answer: Here are some similar topics:
1. What should a teacher's policy be for missing work or absences due to mental illness?
2. How does mental illness impact students today?
3. Should students with mental illness be allowed special considerations in school? If so, what?
Question: Do I need to do the draft first before writing the full essay? How can a draft help me? What will happen if I draft the wrong information?
Answer: Of course you can write just one version of the essay and turn it in. The benefit of writing a draft (or several drafts) before turning in your essay is that if you think about the first version as an unfinished draft, it can help you to keep on going and finish it. Often students get stuck in the middle of an essay because they can't think of just the right example, or don't have enough ideas. I tell them on the first draft to just write down what they have and keep on moving to the next point. After finishing the first draft, you might then go back and fix some of the things you know are wrong. When you have the paper as good as you can get it for that moment, it is time to have someone else read it and give you some critique and suggestions. Getting another person's opinion is the best way to improve. Generally, I have my students get at least two of their classmates to read their paper and give peer editing comments. Because there will be some time between writing the first draft, getting the comments from readers, and sitting down to do the final draft, you will also gain from the fact that you've had a break from your writing. Often, you will see many ideas that you want to change just on your own. Here is my article on editing for your final draft: https://owlcation.com/humanities/How-to-Write-a-Pa...
Question: How can I prove an essay topic delving into the civil system in the U.S is made for black people to fail? Can you help me make it less biased?
Answer: Your question is actually your thesis answer, which of course is going to show bias because it is your position. In order to make the essay work, you need to decide what question you can ask which could have more than one answer (or more than just a yes/no answer). Additionally, it can sometimes be more effective to focus on how things could be different and change for the better rather than just complaining or pointing out the problems. In the course of talking about changes, you can use evidence of the current problems to support the need for change. Here are some possible questions on your topic:
1. Is there a bias in the U.S. criminal system against certain groups?
2. How can the U.S. government be changed to help African-American communities be more successful?
3. How can the U.S. civil system be improved to provide better opportunities for African Americans?
4. How can the U.S. prevent the problem of so many black men spending time in prison?
5. How can the civil system of the U.S. be made more just for all people?
Question: WIll "What makes a successful marriage?" make a good essay question?
Answer: You have an excellent question. Here are some other ways to word this idea for an essay question:
1. What is the best way to prepare for a long-lasting marriage?
2. How can people best choose a marriage partner to ensure a successful marriage?
3. How do you define a successful marriage?
4. What causes people to have successful marriages?
Question: What do you think of the topic “Why abortions should be legal in every country?" for an English essay topic?
Answer: Your topic idea is actually your thesis. Your question needs to be:
"Should abortions be illegal? or should there be an international law about abortions?"
Question: What do you think of the topic, "What is an allergy?" for an English essay?
Answer: That topic would work for an Explaining essay. If you need to do an argumentative essay, here are some other topic ideas:
1. Should all foods be required to be labeled for common allergens?
2. Should companies be held liable if people get ill from allergens in the foods?
3. Can allergies be prevented?
4. What is causing the increase in allergies?
5. Are "allergy shots" really a good treatment idea?
Question: What do you think about "Why should students be allowed to choose what they learn about in school?" as an essay topic?
Answer: Your statement is more like a thesis because it tends to allow only arguing one side. You probably want to have a research question like: How much choice should students have in what subjects they study in school? Your answer to that question will be your thesis. Here are some examples:
Students should be allowed to choose all of their own classes and have nothing required.
Students should be allowed to choose at least half of their classes.
Question: What do you think of the topic, "English is a crazy language?" as an English essay topic?
Answer: How about "Is English a Crazy Language?" I generally suggest that you start with a question that could have at least two answers. If there is not a different opinion on the subject, then it really isn't a good essay question. I do think that "crazy" is a bit of a vague term, although it would make a good essay title. You will need to define what you mean by "crazy" and also compare English to other languages (not just one) that are less "crazy."
Question: Would "How can people concentrate more when studying?" make a good essay topic?
Answer: Other possible questions:
1. How can students stop procrastinating?
2. How can students get more out of their studying times?
3. What strategies enhance concentration while studying?
4. How can students best avoid distractions while studying?
Question: What are other English essay topics about marriage?
Answer: Here are other marriage topic questions:
1. How can people best prepare for a successful marriage?
2. What is a successful marriage?
Question: What do you think of the topic, "How can employers best encourage better health among their employees?" for an English essay?
Answer: It is a good topic. Some possible choices are by providing gyms at work, giving people incentives for doing exercise or being in a weight loss program, or offering free healthy foods.
Question: How can I improve my grammar while essay writing?
Answer: Here are some simple ways to improve your grammar while you write:
1. Use spellcheck and Grammarly on your essay but don't just click the answer. Pay attention to what the error is and write down a note of what you are doing wrong most often. Look up those rules and learn the difference.
2. Use the ideas in my article on how to proofread your essay (https://hubpages.com/humanities/Essay-Revision-Ste... but don't just use it to correct your essay. Use the errors you find to help you understand what you do wrong and then research information about those particular errors and memorize how to do it correctly.
3. Pay close attention to any errors that your instructor marks on your essays. Look up the meaning of those errors or go to your instructor for help in understanding them.
Ultimately, getting better at grammar is up to you!
Question: What do you think of, "How does lack of sleep hurt us?" for an English essay topic?
Answer: This is a good question. You can also do:
1. What is a good way for students to get the right amount of sleep?
2. How much sleep do we really need?
3. What is "a good night's sleep?"
Question: How do I start an article about comparing universities? I need to compare four universities.
Answer: A good way to start would be to talk about the different reasons why people want to go to a university. You could even use your own story to start the essay. Then you can ask the question, "What is the difference between these four universities: [put names here]?" In the body of your paper, you should choose three or more criteria or aspects to compare. Here are some ideas:
1. Variety of courses to study
3. Living accommodations or where the university is located, including how far it is away from your home
5. Whether graduates get jobs
Question: What do you think of the topic, "What should I do to prepare for a career?" for an English essay?
Answer: In general, your topic should not use the first person "I" because then your essay is only directed towards you. If you are doing a personal experience essay, that is all right, but most English class essays are meant to have a broader audience. Here are some other topic questions that would work:
1. What are the best steps for career preparation in the field of....?"
2. How can students prepare for their future career while in college?
3. Which course of study best prepares you for a career?
Question: Is "What university you would consider going to?" a good essay topic?
Answer: You need a question rather than a statement to make a good topic. The topic question should have more than one possible answer. That way your thesis will be able to tell your answer to the question as well as the reasons you would give for that answer. Here are some possible questions:
1. Which is the best university for learning English?
2. What are good criteria for choosing a university to attend?
3. Is it a good idea to go to the university your parents prefer?
4. Should you choose a uuniversity first or a field of study?
Question: What do you think of, "What makes a bad tattoo idea?" for an English essay topic?
Answer: I've seen a few rather bad tattoos when standing in line at waterparks. Here are some other topic ideas?
1. What is the best way to choose a tattoo?
2. Should you choose a tattoo that has someone else's name?
3. Where is the best place to have a tattoo?
4. Are there any tattoos that should be avoided?
Question: I wanted to write an essay about 3-4 pages long about how we should raise kids. I want to write about what age we should start disciplining them. What would be a great topic and thesis?
Answer: You would start with a topic question and then the answer to that question would be your thesis. Here is an article with a variety of parenting topic questions:https://owlcation.com/academia/Topic-Ideas-for-Exp...
Here is an article that would help you write that thesis: https://hubpages.com/academia/How-to-Write-a-Great...
Question: How do I write a position paper on this topic, "Do nurses care in this country?"
Answer: Start with a story about a nurse who either shows they care or they do not care (depending on your point of view in the essay). Then give the question and your answer. The main part of the essay will be giving reasons for your answer supported by evidence. The conclusion will tell what you want your readers to think, do, or believe after reading your essay. For more help in writing see: https://hubpages.com/academia/How-to-Write-an-Argu...
Question: What do you think of the essay topic "Why is sport useful?"
Answer: Elaborating on this question would be a bit better. Here are some suggestions:
1. Does participating in sports make kids better students?
2. How do sports programs benefit families?
3. Why should students participate in sports?
4. Are competitive sports programs better than non-competitive ones?
5. How are sports useful for schools?
For more sports-related topics, and links to research sources, see:
Question: What do you think of the essay topic "Do young men have body image problems?"
Answer: That is an interesting question and could be used in contrast to the typical situation that people talk about female body image problems. Other possible topics are:
1. Should we be more concerned about men's body image problems?
2. How important is it to have ordinary male bodies portrayed in advertisements and movies?
3. How can we help young men to have an appropriate image of themselves?
Question: What are the uses of "nevertheless?"
Answer: You would use that word to mean "in spite of the previous information." Other words and phrases that could be used which have a similar meaning would be:
In spite of that
Although that is true, still
With that in mind
Without forgetting that, we still
Question: How can I write a good essay? Can anyone do it?
Answer: Anyone can write a good essay if they follow the instruction in my articles. It really isn't hard to write if you know the tricks. Here is my easiest guide for writing a research paper fast: https://hubpages.com/humanities/Writing-Argument-E... If you just read and follow these steps, you should have a fabulous essay.
Question: What about this question for an English essay topic, "Do we sit for exams too early in our life?"
Answer: It would be better to make the question a bit more general:
1. When is the best time for students to sit for exams?
2. Should we change when students sit for exams?
Question: Many critics that analyzed Robert Frost's poem "Out Out" had questions of their own. Is this a good thesis?
Answer: That sounds like a good topic idea but it doesn't really work as a thesis since you would just be repeating things that other writer's had said without adding your own point. I usually suggest that people start with a thesis question that can be answered in several ways. Then your answer would be the thesis and the reasons for the answer would be your topic sentences. Here are some possible thesis questions on "Out Out":
1. What does the poem "Out Out" mean?
2. How does "Out Out" relate to Shakespeare's work?
3. Why did Robert Frost write the poem "Out Out?"
4. How does Robert Frost use language effectively in "Out Out" to draw out his meaning?
Question: What could be a possible title for an argumentative essay about bilingual education and the use of minority dialects in the classroom?
Answer: How should minority dialects be used in the classroom?
Should minority dialects be used in education?
When should students not be allowed to use minority dialects in the classroom?
Benefits of using minority dialects in educational situations.
Question: Would "Can family business ruin a family?" be a good essay question?
Answer: You raise an interesting essay question. Here are some other ways to word it:
1. Are family businesses good for family life?
2. What causes family businesses to have difficulties?
3. How important is it for a family business to include everyone in the family?
Question: What is an easy essay topic?
Answer: See Easy Argumentative Topics for College Students: https://hubpages.com/academia/College-Argumentativ...
or if you need to do research, you might try this list:
Question: What topics can I write an essay on for 8th-grade kids?
Answer: You can find some topics more appropriate for teenagers in my article for High School students: https://owlcation.com/humanities/150-Argument-Essa...
Question: Can you give some topics on does sun affect a person's skin?
Answer: 1. How can people have healthy skin exposure to the sun?
2. How does the sun affect a person's skin?
3. What causes skin cancer?
Brenda on March 03, 2020:
Which topic of the ones below would relate the most to high school students?
Can learning to do lucid dreaming help you?
Is technology making our attention span shorter?
Which is better, private school, public school or homeschooling?
Does Internet medical information make people healthier?
Why is NASCAR losing fans?
Lomit on December 18, 2019:
Very nice keep it up and thanks a lot for this i got 96 out of 100 because of this help given by you!!!
Thelma on November 11, 2019:
Lovely really helpful
Bob on October 17, 2019:
Thanks for the topic guys I picked the football
Virginia Kearney (author) from United States on October 16, 2019:
Hi Mark, glad this was helpful to you. I have over 100 articles on different writing topics. See the links in this article, check out my profile, or search for any writing topic with my name or "owlcation."
Mark_Byron on October 16, 2019:
Pleasantly surprised to find this very helpful resource, what with all of the numerous pressing and poignant topics, and accurate questions to be answered!
Anneliese on August 30, 2019:
I'm in year 8 and was looking for a holiday project to work out of school and these are great questions. Thanks!
Prof.jones on July 22, 2019:
Lovely really helpful
Hino on July 19, 2019:
Very informative post...thanks
Peg Scott on April 17, 2019:
Excellent start for essay writing assignments.
Best of any online questions I have found.
Monika Murgunde on April 13, 2019:
Quality essay topics. Thank you!!!
SeanMershondes on February 19, 2019:
Thank you for such a detailed article.
Jessie James Marcella on January 31, 2019:
Awesome! good topics
sameer on January 22, 2019:
zed pi on January 12, 2019:
Yes, your topics are really good
meow on January 08, 2019:
TANVIR on December 07, 2018:
simeon on December 04, 2018:
Richard on November 15, 2018:
Thanks a lot!
Ciara on October 19, 2018:
Thanks for the topics
asha rani on September 26, 2018:
list of above topics of essay provides us number of knowlegable concepts with the help of list of number of essays we could exclude new things from our mind and we could explain with new matters almost covers all the topics with the help of these topics we could express our feelings too the topics are very interesting and expressive
Pinky tina on September 20, 2018:
Very intersting topics...
These topics r very good for children
Sibongile on September 05, 2018:
Thanks for the work made easier.
Aadrita Paul on August 08, 2018:
These are really nice .
BiFangirl89 on August 07, 2018:
I love to write essays in my spare time, but I can never think of good topics so this has been very helpful.
neha yadav on July 17, 2018:
Zaeda Mamo Nair on June 20, 2018:
thank you so much!!! now i can impress my teacher
Ravinder chandela on June 09, 2018:
Nice essay writing and very nice topic for students
Edu Nnamdi on September 18, 2017: