Andrea writes on various topics from dating, couples, astrology, weddings, interior design, and gardens. She studied film and writing.
The lovable ENFP of the Myers-Briggs personality shines light into all of our lives. The ENFP naturally brings enthusiasm into the conversation. All personalities have their struggles—even one that I find to be full of rainbows, dinosaurs, flying horses, and sugar mountains. The ENFP personality is guided by extroversion, intuition, feeling, and perception. Its functions are, in dominant order: extroverted intuition, introverted feeling, extroverted thinking, and introverted sensing.
The Struggle Is Real, but We Love You
1. Sometimes people don't understand the ENFP isn't always happy. There's a deeper more introspective side, and you want people to accept you for it.
2. Growing up was challenging. As a child, ENFP is full of ideas, imagination, and wants to express it all, but one's parents might not have been graced with NF. Parents may have lacked knowing how to raise such an open-minded child and also give them the structure they need.
3. You love most people, but some people honestly do rub you the wrong way. It can be cumbersome to direct them away from you.
4. Some people may be confused as to whether you're being friendly or flirtatious. Lots of people don't get as much attention or affection sent toward them as an ENFP will naturally give.
5. You're open to trying things and sometimes this leads to poor or insane decisions. You need people around you that are spontaneous and open to experimenting with your wild, outlandish ideas. You also need someone who can tell you when something might be a bad idea. You need someone who straddles both sides, or else you get frustrated or burnt out.
6. As much of a party animal as you can be, settling down is one of your highest goals. A romantic partner is ideal to send all your social vibes toward. Your friends and party crew might not understand the change of direction.
7. When you really understand something it frustrates you to no end when someone is arguing against it. You may repeat the same point over and over in hopes that the other person will understand. This will end up being futile and corner you.
8. Structure may irritate you to no end. You might find that there's no point to simple things. This can lead to some eclectic choices that others don't understand.
9. You're open with your body and its functions—and may just really want to be naked.
10. The ENFP loves people so much that things that get in the way of loving people become boring.
11. Boredom is the ENFP's bane. The easiest way to make an ENFP forfeit is to make things painfully boring.
12. The ENFP has a high level of loyalty. The personality hates breakups intensely because of conflict, breaking their loyalty, and they love to dote and be doted on.
13. Once an ENFP gets the go to cut ties, they'll move on faster than the speed of light. It may confuse past lovers how fast an ENFP moves on, as if they're not bothered at all by a breakup.
14. The ENFP can be so passionate about something that they may want to take over the entire conversation. They really strongly will desire for you to be on the same page as them, they may want to direct a party too much.
15. The ENFP can struggle with their introverted sides getting stuck in a dreaded Fi-Si loop. They'll be incredibly inward with their feelings, but unsure what to do in this processing state.
16. There's always more to know for the ENFP. There's a never-ending amount of knowledge to be found. It can be difficult to express all the ideas coming to the brain of an ENFP. There's a strong need to find someone who can talk through 3,452 topics in one 30 minute conversation.
17. As a powerful loving idea machine sometimes the ENFP can get lost without a visionary who can plan out all the details with them.
18. The ENFP is a lion on the surface and a total guppy in the center. It can be difficult switching from being mighty to a romantic, soft kitten.
19. Sometimes the ENFP has their own language, concepts, and abstract mode of conversation that it can take a lot to really understand.
20. The ENFP hates when people must stick by certain rules just because it's the rules. The ENFP wants the world to improve, for there to be connectivity, not for things to be stuck.
21. If the ENFP isn't careful, they'll give away their entire bank account. Then they'll get rid of their house, their clothes, everything—and they'll spend all their time wandering the planet. It sounds cool, but it can be difficult jumping from no belongings to needing some to push you forward in life.
22. The ENFP has a really hard time censoring their mouth. They want to say when things are ridiculous and not hurt your feelings, but man—they want to call you out and laugh about it.
23. The ENFP desires family and would prefer to spend more time with their loved ones than typically their job. This can make it difficult to get things done. This can occasionally cause the ENFP to be too dependent on their spouse, and in turn let their spouse walk all over them and baby them.
24. The ENFP has a wonderful childlike spirit—they can connect with kids and animals magically. However, if they have to discipline kids it can be confusing because they'll switch too quick from sweet child-rearing best buddy to total fascist dictator. They have to be conscious about how they're coming off in their parenting style—or else their teenager will completely disconnect from them. Which would murder an ENFP.
25. The ENFP is hyperactive intelligent and may not make sense to other temperaments who view intelligence differently. The ENFP has a great work ethic, but they get bored easily. Their homework isn't going to weigh the same as others who feel pressure to get it right. The ENFP will get it right, but also add a touch of humor. It's complicated. The ENFP is a perfectionist, but they're also bored with pathetic efforts at education.
26. The ENFP sometimes really, really needs a bath. They can get so lost in their ideas, schedule, and social world that certain hygiene, house chores, and financial tasks can get set aside.
27. The ENFP will carry every last one of us home on their back. They'll make sure we're all taken care of—but then the ENFP will collapse or go mental from not taking care of themselves.
28. The ENFP has great disdain for some people and structures. They'll half pay attention while plotting how they can make something far better, far more interesting, far more in touch with the reality they want to see. This can cause an ENFP to tune out on important details.
29. Speaking of details—ENFP is big picture and can see things globally in an instant. Going over every last detail will put the ENFP into a nap. Read them something with lots of details, like a manual, and you'll get them ready for bed.
30. Sometimes they're a little too open-minded and have a hard time hearing how their ideas could hurt someone. It's really hard to redirect an ENFP who is set on a certain objective. They're goal oriented, but sometimes their brain misfires for something so painfully dumb that it's hysterical.
31. The ENFP can sometimes be freakishly weird and push some people away—others might enjoy the outlandish costumes, social games, and black magic spells that come out of nowhere.
32. The ENFP falls in love hard. They can pull themselves out in total, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck. Either accept them, or they'll move on because they don't want to waste their powerful energy on someone. But they fall in love hard... and this can make them set on pleasing someone so much that they start to ignore other parts of their life.
33. The ENFP needs to be careful of who they date so they're not taken advantage of. The ENFP can be smothering, and some personalities don't get that. ENFP should strive to find those who are either intuitive or emotionally driven. An INFJ will suit a lot of these needs, and INTJ may be too cold for the ENFP at times, but does work wonderfully.
34. The ENFP needs an audience. Don't put an ENFP on an island. They'll befriend all the animals, volleyballs, and coconuts to the point of extreme personification.
35. The ENFP has a brilliant BS detector, which can allow them to be the perfect devil's advocate.
36. ENFP has impatience for someone trying to initially figure themselves out emotionally. If they're not jumping into the river with you, the ENFP sniffs something is awry and runs away to another castle in the clouds.
37. The ENFP has to really be careful in a job interview to not scratch their butt, burp, fart, do something gross or weird.
38. The ENFP will keep working until it's right. They want it right. Practice makes perfect! Do it again! AGAIN! They're goal oriented, but this can be too relentless.
39. The ENFP would marry someone in an instant. They may not see the point of a long engagement or planning out an intricate wedding. They just want to do it—and this may endanger their relationships with others who wanted to go to the wedding.
40. The ENFP may suffer from insomnia. Their mind is always at the cusp of the universe.
41. "What do you mean right now is a bad time to throw water balloons? It's 3 AM. This is perfect. Get out of bed."
42. They should strive to let their darker, more internal side out. This side is much more impressive than they realize and speaks to people. Try your hand at poetry, theater, and public speaking.
43. The ENFP will have the strangest things that cause them to be stubborn. "But I want those pumpkins aligned this way. It's sentimental to me!"
44. They may struggle to find someone who will have the same enthusiasm for a rather peculiar story—like why a group of neighbors working together for three days finally got a cat out of a tree.
45. The ENFP doesn't have enough time to be on stage, to have an audience, to perform, to champion, and to look deeply into the most beautiful person in the room. There's too much structure and bureaucracy in the way. Always.
Petra Botha on September 09, 2019:
Oh my... I'm suppose to sleep buttt I came across this article.... And typical ENFP personality type.... I'm laughing my silly head off as I read the part on being careful to burp or fart(even the scratching of the bum).... I've done that...... Lmao..... Contemplating on freaking out the wheezing cat....
Sophia on August 15, 2019:
Great article! So me! :) but, I think your profile pic is Ryan Gosling. In with case I would take his advice! Lol
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on April 10, 2019:
Yes, very true.
boop on April 09, 2019:
Also, sometimes we wake up and go "Wait, who am I again?"
Trent on February 24, 2019:
Throwing water balloons at 3 am. Yes, done that.
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on June 07, 2018:
I try hard to be insightful, maybe I try too hard.
create-n-inspire on May 21, 2018:
this is too real
Pâmela on March 20, 2018:
thanks!!!! I love it!
Bernie on March 11, 2018:
Wait! Your profile picture looks like Ryan Gosling not Nicholas Cage!!
Tami m. on March 10, 2018:
This is so spot friggin on!!
Oliver on February 12, 2018:
This was awesome!
Marcie on January 22, 2018:
Everything her is soo true!!! Any whovians here? Remember in day of the doctor when he jumped into the portal? Sooooooooooo me!!! Gotta be an ENPF!!! : )
3 months ago
"My usual bed time is at around 1-2 AM. And, unfortunately... that's when I remember every idea I forgot during the day, and I want to pursue them right then before I forget, usually making by actual bed time at 3 AM. Because that's my life!"
Same here! HAHAHAHAHA
Ohh, and the humor in homework? You shoulda seen me in highschool!!!
Marcie on January 22, 2018:
10 months ago
Do people with this personality type often get mistaken for having ADHD?
judith on November 18, 2017:
literally, i am the epitome of an ENFP - it explains A LOT!!!
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on November 16, 2017:
Go see a doctor about that.
Bobbert on November 15, 2017:
I cant sleep ever
Katy S on September 28, 2017:
So many if these are me! The good news is, as I get older I am able to rein some of them in, so I am less all over. And being a grown up means people come for sage advice. (I live in Alaska, who needs water balloons when there is GLOW IN THE DARK!)
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on September 26, 2017:
Just do what you can to get at least 8 hours of sleep! Then you'll be alright.
Foxcheetah on September 25, 2017:
My usual bed time is at around 1-2 AM. And, unfortunately... that's when I remember every idea I forgot during the day, and I want to pursue them right then before I forget, usually making by actual bed time at 3 AM. Because that's my life!
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on September 17, 2017:
This is very true. ENFP does have some intense, yet charming, sentimental urges.
Evelyn on September 17, 2017:
The ENFP will have the strangest things that cause them to be stubborn. "But I want those pumpkins aligned this way. It's sentimental to me!"
is so true
abby on August 19, 2017:
they where all so great!
my favorite one was number 45 because I feel like there's so many ENFPs out there who wants to just be themselves but like you said, there's not enough times and there's too much structure. This is my biggest struggle in life and also getting bore because I can't be me which brings dark thoughts instead of feeling sleepy.
Jade on May 13, 2017:
Who want to go for a throwing water ballons at 3am !! Let's go ENFP family :) thanks for this really cool article
Charlotte on March 27, 2017:
Do people with this personality type often get mistaken for having ADHD?
Joe Morales on March 21, 2017:
"like why a group of neighbors working together for three days finally got a cat out of a tree." would so read that story! haha :)
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on March 11, 2017:
I'm glad unicorns are calling and you have to pee. The profile picture is of Nicholas Cage, because I feel people enjoy in some part of their brain getting romance advice from the Cage. Particularly when I write comments.
But my real gender, yes, is a woman.
Tori fox on March 09, 2017:
Why does the bibliography part say your a girl but your picture is a guy?. I enjoyed this article so insightful and true!!! This makes me more understand about how annoying my unconventional ways are..but I'll doubt I'll stop lol. Anywhoy unicorns are calling and I have to pee
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on January 30, 2017:
Ha! Tobias, that is amazing. Good luck with the land of the money and nymphs.
Tobias on January 29, 2017:
haha the whole "hates doing taxes thing" is exactly why I'm reading this instead of doing taxes.... anyways, thanks for the post. Off to tax land ;)
david on January 06, 2017:
I wanted to stop reading as I am currently procrastinating and this is like the 20th list article I have read about ENFPs, but we all knew that wasn't gonna happen xD
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on December 01, 2016:
Totally understandable. :)
E on November 29, 2016:
Hahah most of this was spot on! I'm also browsing this article instead of studying..
Pizzabae97 on October 05, 2016:
Im supposed to study but i end up browsing about my personality instead. lol
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on August 01, 2016:
I had a friend who did the water balloon thing. One of my favorite moments of life, honestly.
Gillian on July 17, 2016:
This was great, many thanks. Just so very many perfectly accurate observations. Throwing water balloons @ 3am sounds like sooo much fun!!