100 Easy Causal Analysis Essay Topics
What is a Causal Analysis Essay?
Causal analysis essays answer the question, "Why?" Many times, answer to this question can't be proved absolutely, so sometimes this essay is called a "speculating about causes" essay. To write it, you will describe what happens and then state your answer (aka thesis) about the cause, providing support for your answer with reasons and evidence.
Causal Analysis Answers
• Why do people do that?
• Why does this happen?
• Why is this a trend?
• Why does it occur?
Topics About Behavior
- What causes people to develop phobias?
- Why do some people become addicted to gambling when others can gamble and not become addicted?
- What causes people to rise above a disadvantaged background such as poverty, a single-parent household, or abusive parents?
- What are the chemical causes of falling in love?
- What causes feeling of romantic attraction to fade?
- What causes "love at first sight"?
- Why do people lose their memories as they get older?
- Why do people need to sleep?
- Why do we develop "muscle memory" for some repetitive actions?
- Why do people experience nightmares?
- Why do some marriages last for a lifetime?
- Why do we have short and long term memory?
- Why do people get dyslexia?
- Why do we respond physically to fear?
- Why do we yawn (or hiccup, or stretch)?
- Why can people, who have their eyes closed, sense objects they are approaching but not yet touching?
- What makes some people introverts and others extroverts?
- Why is methamphetamine so addictive?
- Why do people crave sugar?
- Why do some families look so much alike, while others don't?
- Why do first born children tend to be achievers?
- Why do people snore?
- Why do people lie?
- Why do people blush?
- Why do people hate?
- Why do teenagers rebel against their parents?
- Why do teens get acne?
- Why do teens sleep so much?
- Why do teens cut themselves?
- Why do people commit suicide?
- Why do teens engage in "sexting"?
- Why do young people start smoking when they know it causes cancer?
- Why do young people sometimes get cancer? or have heart attacks?
- Why do teenagers use drugs?
- Why do college students binge drink?
- Why do young people become homeless?
- Why do young people join gangs?
- Why do young people make graffiti?
- Why do fewer young people vote (compared to older generations)?
- Why don't younger people donate blood? or become organ donors?
- Why don't teenage relationships last?
- Why don't teenagers read?
- Why don't teen marriages last?
- Why are teenagers more optimistic than older people?
- Why are young people better at learning languages than older people?
- Why do adolescent girls need more iron than adults or boys their age?
- Why do teenage girls idolize male celebrities?
- Why do adolescents need protein?
- Why do adolescent girls mature faster than boys?
- Why do adolescents need to establish their own identity?
Causal Analysis Topic
What type of "Why" question most interests you?
- Why do animals have tails?
- Why do some animals like to be petted?
- Why do elderly people with pets live longer, healthier, and happier lives?
- Why are pets good for kids?
- Why do dogs eat strange things like grass and poop?
- Why do cats show pleasure by purring and kneading?
- Why do cats like to sleep in boxes and other strange places?
- Why do cats who are well-fed still hunt?
- Why do birds build elaborate nests?
- Why do monarch butterflies migrate long distances?
- Why do ants and bees live in colonies?
- Why do wolves howl?
- Why did humans domesticate wolves and breed them to become dogs?
- Why do some insects and jellyfish glow?
- What causes tides? Or the wind?
- What causes insects like crickets and cicadas to make such loud noises?
- Why are animals used in research?
- Why are animals afraid of humans?
- Why is larger size an advantage for animals in colder climates?
- Why do small dogs live longer than bigger dogs?
- Why are some animals becoming endangered?
- Why is nature so therapeutic?
- Why are insects attracted to light?
- Why are insects the most successful animals on earth?
- Why are microbes important to human beings?
- Why are so many Americans against the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare)?
- Why are some Euro countries like Greece in such economic turmoil?
- Why are rates of AIDS transmission higher in Africa than elsewhere?
- Why do Japanese couples delay marriage? Why does Japan have higher suicides rates than many other countries?
- Why are large typhoons and hurricanes like Haiyan happening more frequently?
- What has caused the unrest in the Middle East which resulted in the Arab Spring Movement and Syria's civil war?
- What caused the Great Recession of 2008?
- Why are random shootings becoming more common in the U.S.?
- What causes terrorist groups to target certain countries? (You could choose a country.)
- What caused the U.S. government shut down of 2013?
- Why is North Korea so closed to the rest of the world? Or why is it becoming more belligerent toward other nations?
- Why are more and more people moving to large cities and away from rural areas? (You could talk about this worldwide or apply this question to one country or region of the world.)
- Why has the neo-conservative movement developed in American politics?
- Why has neo-Nazism been on the rise in Germany?
- Why is China going to ease up on the one-child policy?
- Why did Donald Trump win in the 2016 election?
- Why have the police been targeted by gunmen recently in the U.S.?
- Why are terrorists choosing to use vehicles as weapons?
- Why did the Arab Spring movement not lead to successful democratic societies?
- Why is Twitter the medium of choice for Donald Trump?
- What caused the French Revolution?
- What caused the development of American slavery system?
- What caused the settlement of Australia by the English?
- What caused the colonization of Africa?
- Why does English have so many words of French origin?
- Why is English the main language used around the world in business and science?
- Why does India have a caste system?
- Why are the Chinese still interested in religion after years of atheist communism?
- What caused the great Chinese famine in the Great Leap Forward?
- What caused the black plague of the Middle Ages to stop?
- What caused Great Britain to adopt the parliamentary system?
- Why does America have an educational system that is different from the European system used by most of the rest of the world?
- Why, according to the 2000 U.S. Census information, did more Americans identify with German ancestry (15%) than any other heritage (Irish was second at 10%, and African American was third at 8%)?
- Why did Japan attack the U.S. at Pearl Harbor? or Why did America drop an atomic bomb to end the war?
- Why is it important to study history? (Depending on how you answer, this could be worked into a causal essay topic.)
Writing Causal Essay
After choosing your topic question, you can research online to get some ideas of possible answers.
- Title: The causal question makes a great title for your essay. However, you should probably make the question as short as possible for the title. Your answer to the question will be the thesis of your paper.
- Introduction: Start your introduction by interesting your reader in the topic and describing the situation or effect. See the chart for easy introduction and conclusion ideas. The end of your introduction will be your cause question and thesis.
- Thesis: Start your thesis by asking your question and then answering it. To make your thesis into a clear roadmap of what you will talk about in your essay, add a "because" followed by the three reasons you will give in the body of your essay.
- Body: Be careful to write the reasons in parallel format. Sample Thesis: Why do people enjoy being scared at a horror movie? Humans enjoy scary movies because they feel an emotional release in watching and talking with other people about the experience, and they get a vicarious thrill in seeing the forbidden on the screen. (Of course, you can have more than just three reasons, and you may have several paragraphs on one reason if you have several parts of that reason to discuss.)
- Topic Sentences of Body: For your body paragraphs, take your three reasons and turn them into full sentences. Those are your topic sentences for the body paragraphs of your essay. Gather evidence from your own observations and from research.
- Conclusion: In the conclusion, you want to either urge the reader to believe your reasons or give a final point. See ideas in the chart below.
Easy Introductions and Conclusions
vivid description of situation
ask the reader what they believe
story illustrating effect
pick one of the causal ideas and explain why it is most important
list of examples of effect
give a final dramatic example
conversation between two people illustrating situation
end with a funny quote
statistics about situation
end with a suggestion about what will happen next
quote from authority with explanation
say why knowing the cause is important
a list of wrong causes, or causes most people believe
explain what this cause means to the reader
Questions & Answers
Do you think "Why do people need to sleep?" is a good causal essay topic?
Some "why" questions are causes, and others are actually not a causal essay, but rather a "how" explaining essay. Why people need to sleep falls into this category because there are some pretty definitive answers to this question that most authorities would agree about. A good causal analysis asks a question that people don't agree about. Here are a few on the topic of sleep:
What causes people to have insomnia?
Why is there an increasing trend in people not getting enough sleep?Helpful 2
Can you give me some suggestions for the essay topic, "Why do people need to sleep?"
The question of why people need to sleep does ask for causes. Be sure that your answer goes beyond the fact that we need rest and includes some of the things sleep does for the body that scientists are beginning to discover.Helpful 6
How can I know what the topic sentence is?
A topic sentence tells the main idea of each paragraph. Most of the time, the topic sentence will be the first sentence in a paragraph. Read more at; https://hubpages.com/academia/How-to-Write-a-Great...Helpful 5
Is “ What causes people to become vegan?” a good casual analysis essay topic?
That question will work, and here are a few alternatives:
1. What has caused the vegan diet to become more popular?
2. Why are more people choosing vegetarian and vegan diets for their lifestyle?Helpful 5
Do you think the question "Why is immigration such a controversial topic?" would be a good causal analysis essay topic?
Although your question starts with "why," I usually suggest that for a causal essay you should also include the word "cause" to make sure that your question is really about a causal connection. Here are some possible revisions related to your idea:
What causes immigration to be such a controversial topic in 2018?
What is causing immigration and migration to be such an important news issue right now?Helpful 4