Realism and Naturalism
While being two separate literary movements, realism and naturalism have been at times used as interchangeable terms, sharing some deep-running similarities:
1) They are both "basic" views of life and humanity, stripping away the layers of romanticism to present a " natural" or "real" outlook of the work. They refuse to idealize or flatter the subject. They avoid artificial, fantasy, or supernatural elements.
2) Both of these pessimistic views emerged in the 19th century, a period known for its trials and turmoil.
3) God is absent from most of the writing in either category, with writers opting for a focus on the real world.
But despite these similarities, these two literary movements are separate for a reason.
1) Realism sought to be a faithful representation of life, while naturalism was more like a "chronicle of despair." In a way, naturalism proceeded from realism, and can be seen as an exaggerated form of realism; it shows humans as being determined by environment, heredity, and social conditions beyond their control, and thus rather helpless to escape their circumstances.
2) While in realism the main focus was on the middle class and its problems, naturalism often focused on poorly educated or lower-class characters, and on themes involving violence and taboo activities.
3) While in realism, faithful representation of reality including the details of nature is important, in Naturalism, nature itself is a force, generally a powerful, indifferent mechanism.
Realism in American Literature
Naturalism in American Literature
- Literary realism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Different schools of realism. Naturalism as an outgrowth of realism.
- Naturalism (literature) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"[Literary] naturalism was an outgrowth of literary realism..."
- Realism in American Literature
American literary realism: definitions, bibliography, links. Differences and similarities between realism and naturalism.
eseosa imafidon on February 10, 2020:
its an OK site!
Thnkss on January 11, 2019:
Thankuu so much
Cinderella_25 on December 04, 2018:
rolo on November 18, 2018:
thanks so much
sidra kainat on March 29, 2018:
it is relevant and helpful material about literary movements, thanks a lot,,,,,
ioan on February 25, 2018:
so helpful thank you very much
Samantha on January 17, 2018:
i do believe they share similarities, its so hard to differentiate
farah on January 15, 2018:
Boukhari Ziani from Algeria on December 10, 2017:
Recommended for You
thanks a lot
calistah ferrer on November 14, 2017:
thank you ;; its really helpful o us
Hi my name is on September 12, 2017:
thanks for the info G
g on March 14, 2017:
thx for tis
eliezer on January 04, 2017:
nice info !
Dr. No on November 10, 2016:
yes we can
raj on March 11, 2016:
it is really hlps me
eLLa on January 06, 2016:
Thank you!!! very much!!
Jen on May 23, 2014:
Rivardo on June 19, 2012:
Thank you very much! It's helpful
Asford mensah on May 16, 2012:
samira dj on April 29, 2012:
i don't think so ; that realism and naturalism are two separet field of the study , both are two sides of the same coin since they share many similarities
Mn on April 13, 2012:
It was useful and many thanks
Sunil on January 16, 2012:
It ws really helpful
kirutaye from London, UK on December 03, 2010:
Useful hub. Thanks for sharing.