60 Good Research Topics With Examples and Ideas
Finding A Good Research Topic
Good research topics are broad enough to elicit good information, yet narrow enough to be manageable in a short paper. This list contains topics that are narrow enough to handle in a research paper, but broad enough so that you can locate excellent information.
A Good List of Research Topics
This is more than a list of general subjects. This is a list of good research topics that make writing a paper easy and quick. Each research topic is specific, manageable, and easily divided into sections. This makes these topics much more valuable.
Research Topics and Ideas
Many of these topics will work for multiple subjects in many different classes. Some may work better as high school research paper topics, while others will make good research paper topics for college students. These topics are not recommended for middle school students.
It may be useful to look at topics that don’t seem, on the surface, to match your assignment. Often, one topic can be adjusted or altered slightly to fit with another angle.
A good research topic is specific, manageable, and easily divided into sections.
30 Good Research Topics for Current Issues
- Abortion Dilemmas Faced by Adults
- Government Subsidies for Agriculture: Pro and Con
- Adopted Children: Issues Faced as Adults
- Discovery of Pluto by Astrologists
- Affirmative Action and College Admission Policies
- Ethical Practices in Clothing Manufacture
- African American Vernacular English (Ebonics) in Elementary Schools
- Animal Management for Sustainable Living
- Biased Media Practices in Television Reporting
- Chemically Altered Products in Specialty Markets
- Body Art as Personal Expression
- Civil Rights Struggles of the 21st Century
- Cost Analysis of Prescription Drugs
- Disaster Relief Actions Following Earthquakes
- Distribution of Condoms to Students in Urban Schools
- Emotional Aspects of Cocaine Addiction
- Growing Up in a Minority Culture: Confidence and Confusion
- Identity Theft: Three Most Common Sources
- Impact of Assisted Suicide on The Medical Community in the 1980s
- Individuality versus Conformity for Young Adults in College Settings
- Physical Effects of Bulimia
- Power of Women in the Media
- Punishment and Prosecution of Hate Crimes in Alabama
- Reform of Social Security Programs: Supplemental Security Income
- Rural Poverty for Non-Agricultural Families
- Recreational Marijuana’s Effect on the Economy
- Effective Use of The Insanity Defense for Crimes Other Than Murder
- Urban Farming within City Limits
- Variations in the Legal Drinking Age Among States: Effects and Causes
- A Post-Privacy World: What Does it Mean?
You can adapt a research topic to almost any assignment
Changing one or more keywords can change the whole angle of a topic, making it more in line with your subject or assignment.
Create Good Research Topics from Examples
What if you can’t find a good topic on the list?
As you look at the list of topics, you may consider changing one or more of the key words within the topic. Changing one or more keywords can change the whole angle of a topic, making it more in line with your subject or assignment.
Here’s an example:
Affirmative Action and College Admission Policies
might be changed to:
Academic Scholarships and College Admission Policies
Another variation of the same topic idea could be:
Affirmative Action and Workplace Diversity Programs
Alter this topic to suit almost any assignment by changing keywords and keeping the structure.
You can continue to substitute keywords until you find a topic that suits you.
Good research topics are broad enough to elicit good information, yet narrow enough to be manageable in a short paper.
20 Good Research Topics in the Humanities
- Arthurian Legend In 19th Century Paintings
- Definitions and Examples of Nocturnes in Musical Compositions
- Science Fiction Versus Science Fantasy: Comparisons and Contrasts
- Folklore and Fairy Tales of France
- Historical Architecture of Germany
- Theatre Styles of Ancient Rome
- The Decorative and Practical Functions of Egyptian Ceramics
- Archetypes in Heroic Literature
- Obscure Religions of Spain
- Sculptures Representing the Ideal Human Form
- Christianity in the Middle East
- Traditional Dances of Algeria
- Textile Arts as an Expression of Cultural Beliefs
- Protest Art: Posters, Paintings, and Murals
- The Harlem Renaissance in Theatre
- Regional Theatres and Summer Stock During the 1950s in the US
- Evolution of Women’s Shoes
- Design and Construction of Worship Houses
- Family Structure in the Inuit Culture
- The Function of Kivas in Worship and Social Life
Good Research Topic Starters
The Key Characteristics of...
The Evolution of...
Three Main Events in...
An Exploration of...
How to Adapt a Research Topic Example
Let's say the topic example is:
Abortion Dilemmas Faced by Adults
Keep the overall structure of the topic example, but make significant changes in BOTH of the main ideas. Examples of adaptations for this topic might include:
Life-Stage Dilemmas Faced by Older Adults
Peer-Pressure Dilemmas Faced by Preteens in After School Hours
10 Good Research Topics in Science
- The Classification of the Species: How it Started
- The Study of Constellations in Astronomy
- Biology of the Wetlands: Three Key Species
- Significant Advancements in Organic Chemistry
- The Evolution of Computer Science.
- Desert Ecology and Water Conservation
- Geologic Ages that Created Coal
- The Kepler and Hubble Telescopes
- Damage to the Ozone Layer: Why It Matters
- Structure and Actions of Tsunamis
How to Develop a Good Research Topic
Good Research Topics with Creative Ideas
Research Topic Examples and Creative Ideas
Choose one idea from each column. Create a phrase that combines those ideas. Use this to generate the beginnings of a research topic. Utilize a search engine to explore the phrase, and you may find a good research topic, even with the wildest combination of ideas.
Granted, this is a wildly creative approach, and not all topics will work well together. But even the most unusual combinations can yield productive ideas. For example, take the crazy combination of:
Middle Eastern Fashion Trends in the Dark Ages
Place that text in a search engine, and you might be surprised. Several very interesting ideas present themselves.Many of them are perfectly realistic and appropriate for serious research papers.
Try it and see.
© 2018 Jule Romans