Prachi has been working as a freelance writer since 2012. When not writing, she helps people with web designing and development.
Writing a restaurant review is a fun activity to show your affection to the restaurant and how well they treated you or show your disapproval. While some people write for fun, there are professionals who are paid to do so.
Reviews are the foremost thing, which visitors consider while finalizing the restaurant. The better the review, the higher the chances they will book a seat in that restaurant.
You can’t fool these people by writing few praising words (like, “I love it.”, “Will love to come again.”, “Best night ever spend” or something else) and expecting them to trust you with your services.
Customers are really smart and can easily identify what’s fake and what’s not.
Reviews, I mentioned above, look like a bot and are not at all genuine. I can’t deny writing a review is an art. Customers want to others’ experience in a detailed and helpful manner.
Not taking much of your time now, let’s start with the steps that you must use to write an effective restaurant review:
1. Run a Background Search
- Find out how the restaurant market itself to the targeted customers
- This will help you analyze the success and failure rate with respect to the response.
2. Build a Structure
- Write the review in chronological structure. Start with when you entered the restaurant to when you left it.
- Use descriptive phrases and words and complete sentences.
3. Start with Restaurant Information
- Include information about different cuisines, price range, contact information, operatic hours and location.
- Inform people if the restaurant allows smoking or not and does it also serve alcohol
- Write about if it accepts reservations, and does it also has entertainment sources.
- Share the details regarding the suitable customers, for example, family, children or groups.
4. Set Evaluation Criteria
- Build evaluation criteria on the basis of which you’ll evaluate the restaurant.
- Since you’ll be writing multiple reviews, this is an important point to be considered.
- Some factors can be cleanliness, interior and exterior design, ambiance, delivery service, value for money and food quality.
5. Be a Customer, Not a Reviewer
- To taste the genuine experience of the place, don’t let them (owner and staff members) know you are there to review it.
- This will establish your credibility as a reviewer.
- Customers must feel the real experience in advance, so they visit you more to know about other places as well.
6. Include Both Pros and Cons
- Even 5-star hotels have their own drawbacks, no place is perfect.
- Carry a notebook or use your smartphone to write even the tiniest detail, like the color of the plates, food decoration.
- Tiny details play a huge role in visualizing the whole picture in the customers’ minds.
7. Discuss Limited Cuisines
- Stay limited with your food review, include few bars and few goods.
- The long list will bore the readers, indeed write about few and give suggestions to try some other cuisines as well, that you have not elaborated in your review, will interest them more.
8. Be clear, fair and honest
- Be an honest guest of the restaurant, but mind the professionalism
- Describe your experience, even the smell, and taste of the cuisines
- If you find some details were overlooked, big or small, include it too as a word of caution, but don’t make it a topic of hot debate
- Your review can persuade readers to visit the restaurant, so be smart and honest
9. Proofread and Edit
- There’s always a room for little change, take time off either a day or two and ask your friends and colleagues to read the review.
- Review needs to be appealing, if it doesn’t look good to the people you asked, edit it and review again.
10. Add the Recommendation
- Finish your review by recommending the restaurant to a specific group of people or visiting it during special hours or occasion.
- Figure out if it has a romantic environment suitable for couples or a bunch of friends.
- Your last line will be a call-to-action, make sure it’s effective.
How to Rate the Restaurant?
I’ve seen writers who actually get confused if they must choose 3 or 4 stars for above the average restaurant with excellent food. If you are one of them, here are the explanation of what all 5 numbers exactly mean.
1 star: Poor. There’s no good thing about the restaurant that’ll make you return.
2 star: Okay. The restaurant has one or two good qualities. It can be a delicious dish, helpful staff or a positive atmosphere. Still, you’ve no interest in coming again.
3 star: Good. A fine example of a specific kind of restaurant. It can be delicious food with excellent staff service. You may think about coming again if you wish to taste a particular kind of cuisine.
4 star: Excellent. Delicious food, positive atmosphere, helpful staff, and brilliant service.
5 star: Extraordinary. An elite standard by which you judge rest of the restaurants. Staff always ready to help, extreme cleanliness, posh atmosphere and delicious food with perfect delivery.
HK Deli Cuisines, Delhi
3 out of 5 stars
The delicious main course, caring staff, but pity about the French fries
Visited the place for lunch with my friend. We were delighted by South-Indian style main course with species and lots of flavors, extremely impressive for a vegetarian restaurant.
The service was above average, but the French fries were too unpalatable to finish.
When we arrived at 4:20, we’d to wait for 10 minutes while they prepared the table. We didn’t make any reservation, but the restaurant was only half full. There was no good reason to make us wait.
We ordered French fries as a side dish. They looked tasty. But, when we tasted them, they were undercooked and had an excess of oil. We left most of them. For $15, it was not at all worthy.
When the waiter visited our table and asked if something wrong, we said we didn’t like the French fries. He was apologetic and said, “We’re sorry for your experience with the French fries, hope you liked the main course”. We nodded in yes. He was very thoughtful and so does, rest of the staff members. We even received a discount on the price of French fries.
We left the tip and went out of the restaurant with a smile.
I was greatly excited about visiting HK Deli Cuisines. It turned out it wasn’t bad at all. They did take time to make the table ready and the French fries were awful. But they were really caring towards their guests. The main course was just delicious.
I’d love to visit the place again. You can go with your friends, family, partner or whosoever you wish to. Do try their famous masala dosa.
The Moto House Restaurant
Reviewed May 18, 2019
4 out of 5 stars
The Moto House is a restaurant situated in the heart of semi-urban area between three lakes and close to the motorsports academy near Gurgaon. It is the favorite hangout place for motor sports lovers.
As you step your foot into the restaurant, you are welcomed by the magnificent urban setting, a beautiful combination of vintage sports cars and an immense luxury of modernity. Every table gives you a clear view of the chef working in the kitchen. Those, with no prior reservation, are welcomed to wait in the lounge with comfortable armchairs. The lounge has pictures of sports player displayed on the wall.
The menu offers a wide variety of delicious and mouth-watering starters followed by the main course, specially designed for youngsters and adults. I had smoked salmon with horseradish cream, prawns and lime vinaigrette. My friend tried triple cheese and tarragon-stuffed mushrooms. They were exquisite. The main course included veggie shepherd’s pie with sweet potato mash and creamy courgette lasagne. This was really thrilling. It was all followed by savory apple pie and scoop of chocolate ice cream for dessert.
All the cuisines were fresh and refreshing. The award winning chefs gave a home-made feeling using the best quality ingredients. The restaurant also offers various types of drinks, they serve one of the best wines in the region. The drinks are pricey but surely worth trying.
In contrast, the service was not of very high quality. You can only see dead expressions on the waiters’ face. But the owner is full of warmth and thoughtful of his guests. He is always around ready to hear all types of experiences from you and the rest of the guests.
Because of the brilliant atmosphere and delicious food service, neglecting the dead expression of waiters, I highly recommend going to the Moto House restaurant.
Posted by Prachi Sharma
- Use a semi-formal or informal style
- Give the main idea/opinion in the title
- Write only important parts of your experience
- Be limited with your detailing
- Transform your ideas into paragraphs
- Write both good and bad
Writing a restaurant review needs clarity and honesty. Readers see you as source of inspiration to find the right place for themselves. So, it is extremely important, how you establish credibility through your words.
Questions & Answers
Question: What are the weaknesses of the Motto House restaurant?
Answer: It can be anything related to staff, parking lot, environment, surroundings, prices, cleanliness or anything else that made you little less confident in visiting the restaurant the next time. Or is the food here better or worse than the other places you can think of?
© 2019 Prachi Sharma
Sunmist restaurant Elmhurst Illinois on August 28, 2020:
Sunmist restaurant Elmhurst Illinois I was just at A restaurant called Sunmist when we Walked in our greeter didn’t have her mask on properly and as soon as she sat as she took it off, then our waitress came over and she was very pleasant and her face was totally covered, there was another waitress and she had her mask the same way as our greeter did so my sister asked shouldn’t they be wearing their mask properly and the other waitress totally flipped out on us and told us to leave if I didn’t like it, we had just received our meal and she screamed at us and said you put your Mask on or leave, I just thought it was very unappropriate for her to scream at us when we were just simply asking a question we thought that we were being safe inside wearing our masks until our meals came, then she proceeded to go back and tell other waitresses with her mask off again that we were being obnoxious I’m sorry but I don’t think we’re being obnoxious we simply were asking a question to our waitress not her and she started screaming at us I will never go to that restaurant again they are not following safety protocol for being open for business.
Pratibha goel on March 16, 2020:
I took screenshots..i ll read it later, but i am sure u covered it all so perfectly..thankyou
Dosyentra Rao on February 17, 2020:
This article is very helpful for me. Thanks for information..I hope it will make score A in English Exam
Honey bear cafe on February 09, 2020:
Great welcome in Roger park excellent great good great service good atmosphere what else you want ,one the best rest on Clark ,must try congratulations to the new owner great job
Moes Grill at the Boulevard, Banbridge on December 29, 2019:
Myself and my Husband had a meal here yesterday, the starters were fine but the main courses were rotten, I had the Turkey and Ham the ham was like rubber and the potatoes were sour and the Veg tasted off, we had to wait for an hour for our main course, I could not eat mine, plus it cost 40 pounds which was very expensive, to finish it off the Bathroom floor was covered in Piss that was very nasty to have to walk through. Won’t be going here again.
nuhammadjon on October 14, 2019:
extremely important tips that i really need
Prachi Sharma (author) from India on July 10, 2019:
Yes mactavers, the site has amazing reviews. When I received my first review writing task, TripAdvisor was very helpful.
mactavers on July 10, 2019:
Sites like Trip Advisor are a good place to start with reviews of restaurants, hotels and places. Look at the questions and format that they use and you have a starting place.