Multiple Choice Quiz: How Well Do You Know British and American Literature?
The following multiple choice quiz tests your knowledge of British and American literature. Choose the correct answer for each question. Since this is a test of your knowledge, please do not consult the Internet or books for your answers.
You’ll find the answers at the end of the quiz. Please put your scores in the poll and in comments. You can also put suggestions for improvement in comments.
1. Who wrote the Sun Also Rises about an American expatriate journalist who travels from Paris to Pamplona, Spain, to observe the running of the bulls?
A) F. Scott Fitzgerald
B) Ernest Hemingway
C) Tennessee Williams
D) Jake Barnes
2. What Shakespeare play is about a prince who contemplates suicide after the murder of his father, the king?
D) Henry IV
3. What kind of literary form is this?
There was an Old Man with a beard,
Who said, 'It is just as I feared!
Two Owls and a Hen,
Four Larks and a Wren,
Have all built their nests in my beard!'
4. What was the name of the slave whom Huck helps to escape in Mark Twain’s Adventures of Huckleberry Finn?
5. Who wrote the phrase Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose?
A) William Shakespeare
B) Gertrude Stein
C) Emily Dickinson
D) William Wordsworth
6. Which of these women is not a poet?
A) Jane Austen
B) Emily Dickinson
C) Elizabeth Barret Browning
D) Maya Angelou
7. In what state is Tennessee Williams’ Cat on a Hot Tin Roof set?
8. What do you call the main character of a literary narrative?
9. In Charles Dickens’ Tale of Two Cities, which two words belong in the asterisks of the following opening line It was the * of times, it was the * of times?
A) Best / worst
B) Longest / shortest
C) Highest / lowest
D) Least / most
10. Which of the following works has not won a Pulitzer Prize?
A) Harvey by Mary Chase
B) The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
C) To Kill a Mockinbird by Harper Lee
D) A Rose for Emily by William Faulkner
1-B, 2-A, 3-A, 4-D, 5-B, 6-A, 7-D, 8-B, 9-A, 10-D
What score did you get?
Questions & Answers
© 2012 Aurelio Locsin