50 Questions About Books and Reading to Ask Your Friends
Reading is a hobby that has been enjoyed for centuries. The art form of using words to create vivid pictures in people's minds, portray unforgettable stories, and inspire with memorable characters is one that will never die. Many people still enjoy a good book, whether from their Kindle app or with a paperback edition.
It's never been easier to get our hands on books; as well as many stores, we can order almost any title we like from the internet or download a novel in seconds.
If you and your friends love to read, then no doubt you love to talk about books! Here are some questions you can ask your friends or new acquaintances to start compelling conversations about your hobby.
1. What's the first book you ever remember reading?
2. Did someone read to you when you were a child?
3. Who's your all-time favorite book character?
4. Who's your favorite author of all time? Your favorite book by them?
5. Has a book ever changed your life?
6. What genres do you love?
7. Are there any genres you dislike?
8. What author (who is still living) would you dearly love to meet?
9. Have you ever met a (famous or semi-famous) author face to face? Where?
10. Do you prefer paperbacks or ebooks? Why?
11. Have you ever read a self-published book?
12. What book or series do you hope and pray will be turned into a movie or TV show one day?
13. Do you think there are any movie adaptations out there that were actually better than the original?
14. Has a book you like ever been turned into a movie or TV series, and you hated that adaptation?
15. What's more important to you: prose or story?
16. What attracts you to a book? The cover? Blurb? Recommendation from others?
17. Have you read any of the old classics? What did you think of them?
18. Has a book ever scared you or given you nightmares?
19. Are there any books that are really popular but you dislike?
20. Are there any books that are considered terrible but are your secret pleasure?
21. What's your favorite book cover?
22. Do you prefer old books or new ones?
23. What was your favorite book when you were a child?
24. How many books do you read a month?
25. Would you like more time to read books?
26. Do you like to write reviews on Amazon or Goodreads?
27. In general, do you think books are better or worse now than they used to be?
28. Where do you usually discover new books? Physical bookstores? Online? Social media?
29. Have you ever joined a book club?
30. Where do you like to read? At home on the couch? On the train? In bed?
31. What deceased author would you have liked to meet?
32. Think about your favorite genre. To you, which author is the master of that genre?
33. Do you judge a book by its cover? Would a shoddy cover put you off?
34. Do certain tropes attract you? For example, orphans, love triangles, anti-heroes?
35. Are there any books you haven't been able to finish? Why not?
36. What are some of your favorite quotes or scenes from a book?
37. Did you read books in school? Can you remember which ones?
38. Are there any books you could read over and over again and never get bored of?
39. What's the last book you read?
40. What's the last book you bought? Did you buy it online or at a store? Ebook or paperback?
41. Do you like to display your books on a bookshelf or keep them in a virtual library?
42. Do you prefer flash fiction, short stories, novellas, or novels?
43. What book can you recommend to me?
44. When did you last visit a library?
45. Have you ever had a crush on a book character?
46. Has a book ever made you laugh out loud?
47. Has a book ever made you cry?
48. Are you generally good at guessing twists or being able to see what's coming? Have any stories genuinely shocked you?
49. What's your favorite drink, snack, or beverage to have beside you while you're reading?
50. What book will you read next?
These questions are great if you and someone you know enjoy reading, but you haven't recently read the same books. With these fifty interesting and thought-provoking questions, you'll be leading invigorating discussions with your fellow bookworms in no time.
© 2019 Poppy