You have an excellent topic idea! However, that question is more of an explaining essay rather than a problem solution. If you are doing a problem solution essay, you might want to word it differently. Actually, here are some different questions for the topic of volunteering with the type of essay in parenthesis. In these sample questions, I'm using "homelessness" as the topic but you could substitute any other type of problem in your community:
1. What is the most effective organization to volunteer in to help the problem of homelessness? (Evaluation)
2. How can we best solve homelessness? (problem solution and your answer would be through volunteering)
3. What causes homelessness? (cause-effect essay)
4. Does volunteering in your community really help? (evaluation)
5. How important is volunteering in your community?