Any of the topics on this page would be good for a school essay. You could also look at my other lists of ideas if none of these appeals to you. The best topic for your school essay will be one that you care about. Here are some suggestions I give my students for choosing a topic:
1. Read the instructions of your teacher carefully and circle or underline any of the important words that help you understand what kind of essay you are supposed to write. Common types of essays include: argument, personal reflection, compare/contrast, explain, how to, cause, effect, proposal, problem solution, summary response, and expository. You can look through my articles on Letterpile to find examples, instructions on how to write, and also many lists of topics for all of those kinds of essays. I also have links to research articles to help you out if you are required to use sources for your paper.
To choose the best topic for you, I will give you some of the steps I usually give to students:
1. Write a list of issues they care about or know a lot about.
2. Look at my topic suggestions for possible ideas and examples of how to write a topic question.
3. Choose or write your topic first as a question.
4. Write a full answer to the question, which can be your thesis statement and help you develop your essay.
For more information about how to develop your thesis statement into a full outline, see my articles about how to develop good topic sentences.