1. Remi is the son of Nyobi and the most educated person in the village. He knows much about politics and the government the reason the elders want him to represent them in the government.
2. Thoni is a widow. She is the wife of Remi's deceased brother. According to the traditions of Marua, Remi had to marry her. She becomes Remi's wife and daughter-in-law of Nyobi.
3. The Pastor is the shepherd of the local Christian church in Maria. He is against the Maria's traditional practices and beliefs as they go against the Christianity's teachings.
4. Omange is Remi's friend in the city. He invites him to go with him to his village. This is when he has decided to become their leader and represent them in the government.
5. The village woman is a woman who was persuading Thoni not to commit suicide. She is the one who delivers to Remi the letter which was written by Think before she killed herself.
6. The elders act as the village's council. They want their village to be presented in the government. They are both the village's political and spiritual body.