There are several lessons one can learn from the play. I will list a few of them though they are brief.
1. We shouldn't let pride/haughtiness or the feeling one is superior/better than others get in our way. We shouldn't treat others as fools or belittle them. An individual or leader can't bring the needed changes in society if they exhibit such traits. A leader should listen to others; not belittle them or consider them as unimportant or lacking in knowledge. From Jane's words, we learn that Remi thought of himself as superior to others. Also, when he told his mother that things will give way to his leadership. The end result is the death of his wife.
2. We shouldn't assume things we have no evidence of. Remi thought Thoni never loved him the reason she accepted to be married to his elder brother. At the end of the play, we see Remi mourning the death (suicide) of his wife. He asks her why she hadn't told him earlier that she loved him.
3. Tribalism doesn't benefit a nation. Instead, it divides the nation and leads to some tribes missing governmental (social) services that are beneficial to them. Marua tribe has been sidelined in accessing governmental services due to the lack of a representative in the government. The government is composed of other tribes.
4. Racism is another issue that we shouldn't be embraced. A person is at liberty to marry another person of a different nationality. People shouldn't be discriminated against or criticized for getting married to people of different races.
4. Some cultural practices aren't of any benefit to individuals and communities. Remi felt that he was forced to marry a woman who never loved her. This affected him psychologically to the point he fled from his home to find solace in the city. Even though Thoni loved him, it wasn't acceptable for his parents to force him to marry her. It's a decision he should have made on himself.
5. We shouldn't let politics get in the way of religion or interning politics and religion together. We shouldn't prevent others to immerse themselves in politics or discourage them from professing their faith or religion. A person is at liberty since we are free men and women. Politics is part of life. We face it on most occasions e.g. handling a dispute between neighbors and so on.