Great lists for you to use and share. There's something for everyone here!
The Greatest Indian Business Minds of Our Generation
Entrepreneurs are people who dare to go think beyond the obvious and make things happen. All of the businessmen and entrepreneurs listed below have one thing in common: their way of thinking goes beyond the creative ability of their competitors.
Businesses which now have a global presence were once small and unassuming. For example: Karsanbhai Patel, the entrepreneur who started Nirma. He began his career selling his handmade detergent in the neighborhoods. Eventually, his business flourished and he became a very powerful and wealthy man. Another example is Dhirubhai Ambani, who began his career by starting a small trading firm, but now is in charge of the Reliance Group.These people are an inspiration for those who want to start a business someday and become successful.
This is by far the most comprehensive list of Indian entrepreneurs anywhere on the internet. Please leave a comment if you have anything to add!
The Top 100 Indian Businessmen, Businesswomen, and Entrepreneurs
- Adi Godrej - Chairman of the Godrej group and the second richest Parsi in the world.
- Aditya Vikram Birla - Former Chairperson of the Birla Group. Among the first Indians to expand his business abroad.
- Ajay Piramal - Head honcho of the Piramal Group of Industries. Piramal Group has a tremendous base in the Pharma Industry.
- Akhila Srinivasan - One of the most famous women entrepreneur. M.D of the Shriram Investments Ltd.
- Amar Bose - Founder and Chairman of the consumer electronics giant Bose Corporation.
- Analjit Singh - Founder of the Health Insurance company Max Healthcare.
- Anand Mahindra - Managing Director of the Mahindra and Mahindra Group.
- Anil Agarwal - A college dropout started the Sterlite Industries and now heads the Vedanta Group.
- Anil Ambani - President of the ADAG group and a board member of many business schools and companies.
- Anil Manibhai Naik - Director of Larsen and Toubro group.
- Ardeshir Godrej - Founder of the Godrej Group.
- Arjun Malhotra - Co-founder of the HCL Technologies.
- Aroon Purie - Media baron and Editor-in-chief of India Today.
- Azim Premji - One of the most influential persons in the Industry. Chairman of the Wipro Group.
- Bhai Mohan Singh - Pioneer of the Indian pharma industry.
- Biki Oberoi - Former chairman of India's third largest hospitality chain: Oberoi Hotels and Resorts.
- Brij Mohan Lal Munjal - Founder of the Hero MotoCorp.
- Captain Gopinath - Pioneer of the low-cost airline travel in India. Air Deccan was the first low-cost airline in India.
- Chanda Kochhar - A successful banker and currently the Managing Director of the ICICI bank.
- Cyrus S. Poonawalla - Founder of Serum Institute of India which is the fifth biggest vaccine maker in the world.
- Deepak Parekh - Has been awarded many times by the Indian government for his work in the banking industry. Now serving as the non-executive chairman of the HDFC bank.
- Desh Bandhu Gupta - Heads the pharma company Lupin Ltd.
- Dhirubhai Ambani - Most famous businessperson of India.
- Dilip S. Shanghvi - Started Sun Pharma.
- Dr. Kallam Anji Reddy - Founder of the Dr. Reddy's Labs.
- Dr. Pratap Reddy - Founder of the Apollo Hospitals Group.
- Ekta Kapoor - Famous TV show producer.
- Gautam Adani - Didn't go to college. Heads the Adani Group of companies. Billionaire also credited with running India's largest private port known as Adani Ports and SEZ or more commonly the Mundra port.
- Ghanshyam Das Birla - Founding father of the Birla Group.
- Govindram Seskaria - Most famous Indian businessman from the pre-independence era. Also, known as the cotton king of the world.
- Grandhi Mallikarjuna Rao - Founder and chairman of the GMR group.
- Gulshan Kumar - Erstwhile king of the Indian music industry.
- Gurbaksh Chahal - Indian-American entrepreneur. Known for his achievement in the internet industry.
- Harish Manwani - Chairman of the British FMCG producer Unilever.
- Indra Nooyi - CEO of PepsiCo. Most famous women business executive from India.
- Indu Jain - Chairperson of the Times Group which has many front-line daily newspapers in India.
- Jamsetji Tata - Founder of the Tata Group.
- JRD Tata - Known for his groundbreaking achievement in the Indian aviation industry.
- Jyoti Naik - President of the Lijjat Pappad association.
- Karan Bilimoria - Co-founder of the Cobra Beer.
- Karsanbhai Patel - Founding father of the Nirma Group.
- Kasturbhai Lalbhai - Well-known industrialist of the pre-independence era.
- Kiran Mazumdar Shaw - Celebrated women entrepreneur who is the Managing Director of Biocon.
- Kumar Mangalam Birla - Currently the chairperson of the Aditya Birla group which presence in more than 30 countries.
- Kundapur VamanKamath - Banker extraordinaire former CEO of ICICI bank.
- Kushal Pal Singh - Real-estate mogul. CEO of the DLF Universal.
- Lakshmi Mittal - The richest man of Indian origin. Director of the world's largest steelmaking company called ArcelorMittal.
- Lalit Suri - Prominent hotelier. Founder of Intercontinental.
- Mohan Singh Oberoi - Founding chairman of the Oberoi Hotels.
- Mallika Srinivasan - Prominent women entrepreneur of India.
- Malvinder Singh Mohan - One of the richest Indians. A former boss of Ranbaxy Laboratories.
- Micky Jagtiani - Dubai based Indian retail business owner of the Landmark chain of stores.
- Mohandas Pai - Headed several top-notch positions at Infosys. Has been awarded as the Best CFO in India.
- Mukesh Ambani - Is always in the news for his achievements in the various industries.
- Naina Lal Kidwai - General Manager of the HSBC Group.
- Nandan Nilekani - Former Chairman of Infosys and now the chief of UIDAI which is issuing Aadhar card.
- Narayan Murthy - Co-founder of Infosys and after retiring he now serves as an independent director of many companies.
- Narendra Patni - CEO of IT giant Patni Computer Systems.
- Naresh Goyal - Owner of Jet Airways which is the largest Indian Airline operator.
- Nusli Wadia - One of the most famous business personalities of Mumbai.
- O. P. Jindal - Established Jindal Steel and Power.
- Pradeep Sindhu - One of the founders of Juniper Networks which manufactures networking equipment.
- Prannoy L Roy - Media baron founder of NDTV.
- Priya Paul - Owner of the Apeejay Group.
- Rahul Bajaj - Successful businessman, chairperson of the Bajaj Group. Also had a stint in politics as a member of Rajya Sabha. Known for his outspokenness.
- Rajan Raheja - Heads a long list of businesses.
- Rajiv Gupta - General Manger incharge of HP (Hewlett Packard).
- Ramesh Agarwal - Media mogul who owns the Dainik Bhaskar group.
- Ramnath Goenka - Owner of Indian Express.
- Ratan Tata - In-arguably the most famous Indian business personality of all time.
- Raunaq Singh - Founder of the Raunaq group which is famous for companies such as Apollo Tyres, Bharat Gears, Raunaq Pharma among others.
- Ravi Ruia - Co-founder of the Essar Group.
- Ritu Kumar - Famous fashion designer.
- Ronnie Screwvala - Chairman of the UTV group, and has invested in many Bollywood movies.
- Rakesh Jhunjhunwala - One of India's most successful trader and investor.
- Shantanurao Laxmanrao Kirloskar - Did tremendous work and made Kirloskar Group a famous name.
- Sabeer Bhatia - Famous Indian-American entrepreneur who co-founded world's first free email service.
- Sam Pitroda - Has served in many prestigious positions in private businesses as well as for the Indian government.
- Sant Singh Chatwal - Influential Indian-American businessman founder of Hampshire Hotels and Resorts.
- Savitri Jindal - The Richest woman in India.
- Sundar Pichai - CEO of Google.
- Shikha Sharma - M.D of the Axis Bank.
- Shiv Nadar - Founder of HCL Technologies.
- Shobhana Bhartia - Boss at the Hindustan Times.
- Subhash Chandra Goyal - Exporter turned founder of Essel Group, which launched Zee T.V, the first private channel in India.
- Satya Nadella - Alumnus of Manipal University and CEO of Microsoft
- Sulajja Firodia Motwani - Director of Kinetic Engineering. Famous for making scooters and motorcycles.
- Sunil Mittal - His story is extraordinary. Now serves as the CEO of Bharti Enterprises.
- Swaraj Paul - Indian born British Business Magnate.
- Trichur Vengaram Sundaram Iyengar - Founder of TVS Motors.
- Tulsi Tanti - Managing Director of Suzlon Energy.
- Uday Kotak - Managing Director of Kotak Mahindra Bank.
- Vaman Srinivas Kudva - Co-founder of the Syndicate Bank which has more than 25,000 employees.
- Venugopal Dhoot - Head honcho of the Videocon group.
- Verghese Kurien - The man behind the success of Amul.
- Vijay Mallya - India's liquor king.
- Vikram Pandit - CEO of the Citigroup. Has his name mentioned on the list of world's highest earning CEO.
- Vinod Khosla - Indian-American venture capitalist.
99. Walchand Hirachand Doshi - Founder of India's first modern shipyard, first car factory, and the first plane factory.
100. Yogesh Chander Deveshwar - Chairman of ITC Limited.
101. Yusuf Khwaja Hamied - Founder of The Chemical, Industrial & Pharmaceutical Laboratories which is more commonly known as CIPLA.
Thanks for Reading!
I hope you found this list of Indian businessmen and entrepreneurs to be accurate and informative. Do not hesitate to let me know if you have any more information or comments, and please visit some of my other articles and lists. Thank you!
Thanks! Now Please Visit My Other Articles
- Top 10 Largest Universities in India
Which is the largest university of India? Here you will find the 10 largest universities in India according to student population and campus size.
- Top 10 Biggest Cricket Stadiums in India
A list of the top ten largest cricket grounds in India. Includes photos and information like capacity size and opening year.
- 101 Classic Old Doordarshan Serials You Grew up on (1980s - 1990s)
List of best old and popular Doordarshan (DD) serials. Article dedicated to pre-1990s Indian TV shows that you enjoyed in your childhood. This is a massive list with some videos for you to enjoy.
- 101 Best Old Hindi Movies From Bollywood (1950-1990)
Check out this list covering 100 of the best old classic Indian movies. Get a short review along with some rare images collected from around the Internet.
- 51 of the Greatest Women in India's History
Here's a list of great women achievers from history. All of these women are from different fields and did extraordinary things in their life and times.
© 2012 Aarav
Nandhini.C on July 09, 2020:
Successful man will become great by their hard effects
Devansh on May 04, 2020:
aba sala brabra nama aur photo danachiya tha'
Mukesh chavda on March 05, 2020:
I need some knowledge of small business. I need money and motivation.
Anup sharma on January 07, 2020:
I am a lawyer I need money and job
Eklavya on July 31, 2018:
Inspiration is the biggest thing, the path to success will automatically be opened if dedication is their.
Mr patel on May 21, 2018:
What really successful full bussiness man made bye heavy struggle
sunil chouhan on February 18, 2016:
successful man always became happy by their great heard afford
sunil Shrivas on September 03, 2015:
i always thought that i becomes a business man
rabindra kr yadav on July 02, 2015:
I want to be a businessman...but I have not more capital....
But its my dream to do something for poor people.....
Anurag shukla on June 20, 2015:
its awesome i am very inspire to read it thanks to much to post like this inspiring story very very much thanks to u
JJ on March 18, 2014:
what about Ajay Banga, CEO of MasterCard?
Aarav (author) from Mumbai on February 07, 2014:
@Johnvijay This list was only of Indian businessman. Zuckerberg is indeed great.
Johnvijay on February 07, 2014:
Its good, but you miss one person Mr.Mark Zuckerberg
DEBASHISH DASH on October 23, 2013:
IT IS THE PRIDE OF INDIA
Aarav (author) from Mumbai on May 27, 2012:
@saamy All the best.
saamy on May 26, 2012:
i hope that i will be a person in future among the 100.
Aarav (author) from Mumbai on February 13, 2012:
@The Finance Hub I will be adding details in the near future.
The Finance Hub from Portland, Oregon on February 10, 2012:
Great hub, very interesting. However, I would like to see more about the names. What exactly were they known for? Will you be adding to this? None the less, great hub, voted up and interesting, hope you enjoy my hubs as well!
Aarav (author) from Mumbai on February 09, 2012:
@Evankovach You're so right, his contributions are instrumental in changing the fortunes of Citigroup, quite literally.
Evankovach from Northern New Jersey on February 09, 2012:
Vikram Pandit is certainly a visionary in the consumer banking world. I always find it interesting to hear his outlooks for the banking industry as well as the economy as a whole. He's certainly the one name that stands out on this list for me.