Whether they be insects, weeds, or otherwise, pests are annoying. Even more than that, they can devastate the world's ecosystems and agriculture by disrupting the fragile balance sustained by the natural diversity (or intended lack thereof) of organisms. So how do we control all these pests? Why, biologically of course! Biological control is the use of a pest's natural predators in controlling their populations in order to minimize their impact on economic and environmental practices. It's an alternative to pesticides and poisons that can offer a few distinct advantages, as well as disadvantages.
Advantages of Biological Control:
- Biological control is a very specific strategy. The vast majority of the time, whatever predator is introduced will only control the population of the pest they are meant to target, making it a green alternative to chemical or mechanical control methods. For example, whereas weed killing chemicals can also destroy fruit-bearing plants, biological control allows the fruit to be left uninterrupted while the weeds are destroyed.
- Natural enemies introduced to the environment are capable of sustaining themselves, often by reducing whatever pest population they are supposed to manage. This means that after the initial introduction, very little effort is required to keep the system running fluidly. It also means that biological control can be kept in place for a much longer time than other methods of pest control.
- Biological control can be cost effective in the long run. Although it may cost a bit to introduce a new species to an environment, it's a tactic that only needs to be applied once due to its self-perpetuating nature.
- Most important of all, it's effective. Whatever pest population you want controlled will no doubt be controlled. Because the predator introduced will be naturally inclined to target the pests, very often you'll see the pest population dwindle.
Disadvantages of Biological Control:
- Biological control can be fickle. Ultimately, you can't control whatever natural enemy you set loose in an ecosystem. While it's supposed to manage one pest, there is always the possibility that your predator will switch to a different target - they might decide eating your crops instead of the insects infesting them is a better plan! Not only that, but in introducing a new species to an environment, there runs the risk of disrupting the natural food chain.
- It's a slow process. It takes a lot of time and patience for the biological agents to work their magic on a pest population, whereas other methods like pesticides work provide immediate results. The upside to this is the long-term effect biological control provides.
- If you're looking to completely wipe out a pest, biological control is not the right choice. Predators can only survive if there is something to eat, so destroying their food population would risk their own safety. Therefore, they can only reduce the number of harmful pests.
- While it is cheap in the long run, the process of actually setting up a biological control system is a costly endeavor. A lot of planning an money goes into developing a successful system.
Specific to a particular pest
Can sometimes fail in its specificity
It's a slow process
Cheap after startup
Expensive at startup
It works most of the time
Doesn't completely destroy a pest
In the end, it's up to the person with the pest problem to determine whether the advantages of biological control outweigh its disadvantages!
© 2012 Btryon86
Eze david on June 13, 2020:
It is good to upload a web-site where information can be passed through keep it up Owlcation
Jesus on March 05, 2020:
hayat on February 20, 2020:
oooooooooooo very bad
and sometimes good
Ngetch k joxfat Nawai on December 30, 2019:
Actually learning have no end .Just but an enjoyable.
Dylan Norman on July 02, 2019:
I love this website its very cool
Lesedi S Ncube on June 03, 2019:
albert c on May 14, 2019:
these are really fantastic notes thank you so much
Bio on February 17, 2019:
Great source of information!
Mark Sutherland on December 11, 2018:
This is great I have my grade 7 kids doing a reasurch project on this topic
biocontrolman on November 25, 2018:
this is great! 10/10. I showed my parents and they said they were proud of me.
the guy on November 10, 2018:
i am the guy
Jescil Angel on October 18, 2018:
kayla on October 08, 2018:
great information!!!! really helped me with my school work
faggot on June 26, 2018:
Finally, a source i can completely trust without any hesitation to my safety or personal sexuality
juv on May 29, 2018:
Nisith Ruwanpura on May 12, 2018:
Brighton Bhova on February 12, 2018:
Big up to you guys...
Hillary Lunn on January 15, 2018:
This is so cool. Swagwan my Big ting Gs fam
tipdawg124 on January 10, 2018:
i actually learnt something at school for once, thanks bruv
tekalgn eshete on November 08, 2017:
i am so happy by your good notes
Shamshery aj on November 08, 2017:
It's good notes
blessmore linda on November 03, 2017:
Recommended for You
Dermot O'Brien on November 01, 2017:
An excellent resource, clear straightforward and informative exactly what I required.
Nicole on October 17, 2017:
Thanx for the answers
Kieran Collins the Dickhead on September 13, 2017:
It's a good, simple list of what I was looking for.
juniel busiguit on September 06, 2017:
thank you for this i learn some, and now i have more idea to my report...
GABRIEL CHUAH on July 29, 2017:
Thanks for the the info!! It helps me a lot on completing my science report.
Luke Tokar on July 18, 2017:
really good information i absolutely got what i was looking for!
donia on March 22, 2017:
shaikh nadeen on December 11, 2016:
This site is very use full, thanks too all who work in this site
in on September 21, 2016:
firstname.lastname@example.org on July 01, 2016:
dickson on May 03, 2016:
this helped alot thanks for the article :)
kirito on May 03, 2016:
thx for helping
i really needed it
KittyCatLover on April 05, 2016:
Wow! The language used is simple and easy to understand. Besides that,the points are presented and elaborated well by paragraphs. Examples are also given. I found exactly what I searched for. I really like this article. Keep up the great work!
ellis2112 on March 02, 2016:
This ways very helpful, and I am new to this site, Keep Up The Good Work!
famobio97 on October 03, 2015:
Very useful. Thumbs up.first timer though
Ayraaaf_#11 on September 02, 2015:
very nice and interesting
nelio on October 01, 2014:
First time to visit your site, twas very informative! I found this article fair and comprehensive. Looking forward to reading other worthy articles . . . SALAMAT PO!!!
Ivan on August 13, 2014:
Nice one btryon.... Just got what I was looking for... Thanks
natsya on June 07, 2014:
thank you for the information =)
Louis mce on March 11, 2014:
Megan Sharp on March 07, 2014:
Your website was awesome! Pest busters!
Awesome Ashaarya on October 02, 2013:
really good information... Tqvm. XD
Farhat from Delhi on August 24, 2012:
very informative hub.. an acceptable, safe solution to pest control and so an amazing way to maintain our ecosystem too!
KDuBarry03 on August 22, 2012:
Huh, very informative and a good option for pest control. Well done, once again, Btyron!
mwilliams66 from Left Coast, USA on August 20, 2012:
As always Btryon, I found your article very interesting.
Voting up and interesting.