Know About Web Development, Programming Languages, and CMS
Web development is all about the tasks associated with developing websites for hosting through intranet or internet. There are many processes involved in it like web design, content development, network security configuration, etc.
It deals with the coding or programming that enables website functionality. The non-design aspect of building websites mainly falls under web development.
A web developer creates the inner workings of a website and develops the user interface. They are competent in programming languages like PHP, .NET, Ruby, etc., which are specific to the web.
Basically, they are the one who builds the backbone of websites. Their work includes creating technically sound websites with clean codes. They make a functional website from the web design. The programming languages are used to bring the design files to life and develop the various website pages. So, they are also sometimes called programmers, though their skills usually exceed those of a conventional software developer.
A good web developer knows how to convert a static layout into a dynamic website. In order to do that, they may use interactive elements like images and content sliders, active states for links and buttons, etc. They can write better code if they understand the art direction of a website.
Web developers are often thought to be left-brained. Since, their skills mainly consist of technical ability, thinking and logic. They should be detail-oriented and keen on specifics. Keeping up with the latest trends and technologies should be one of their talents as technology is rapidly evolving day by day. If they don’t keep themselves updated with the changes, then it is possible that they will fall behind in their field.
There have been thousands of programming languages which have been created since the invention of computers. There are two components of a programming language that are the semantics and the syntax. Syntax is the form or type and on the other hand, the semantic is the meaning of that form or type.
Every programming language is different and there are many factors which are considered while choosing the appropriate language to be used. Few of the factors are the project size, the targeted server platform, budget involved, etc. Basically a programming language is broadly a notation which helps to write programs. These programs are identified as an algorithm.
Few of the popular programming languages are given below:
- PHP - PHP is a widely used open source scripting language which is best suited for developing web-based applications that requires the maximum functionality with minimum code. One of the advantages in using PHP is that for a newcomer, it is extremely simple and convenient. But it also offers many advanced features for a professional programmer.
This language is compatible with both Windows and Unix-based operating systems. It is used to signify the PHP Hypertext Processor language and is suited for advertising apps, media, small software business, etc.
Many top websites support PHP based server hosting. For example, Magento which is the most popular e-commerce platform is written in PHP. In addition to it, Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal, which are popular Content Management Systems are also written in PHP programming language.
- Java - Java is a highly popular and widely used programming language, particularly in client-server web applications. This open source language which is object oriented was developed by Sun Microsystems in the 1990s. Java can be used for developing a stand-alone program as well as individual applets which are used in complex websites.
This language works across several types of platforms, which is an advantage. Therefore, if a program is written on Mac Operating System, then it will also be able to run on Windows based operating systems. Apart from this, the websites which use JAVA as their server side language also attract high traffic.
Model View Controller (MVC) model frameworks are used in this language. Java is best suited for financial sector development, enterprise applications, etc. Many hosting companies support Java based server hosting. Hadoop, which is the world’s most popular big data analytics platform, is written in Java.
- Python – Python was designed with the aim of making it highly extensible. So, this language can be easily incorporated or embedded in existing applications. There are many features of this language like dynamic type system, large library, automatic memory management, etc. It can run effortlessly on Linux and Windows based servers.
This advanced programming language is arguably the easiest to learn and write code in for the beginners. It can be used by a developer to write and run the code without the need of a separate compiler. Therefore, it is dynamic in nature. It is also flexible and there is a broad range of applications which makes it preferable by a lot of web developers.
Python is an excellent choice for scientific, academic and research level applications which requires a quick-execution and accurate mathematical calculation. This language is designed in such a way that it supports code readability. It means that its syntax is such that only a few lines of codes are needed to express a point or concept.
Python is used in many popular apps like Instagram, Pinterest, etc. and in web platforms like Google, Yahoo, NASA, etc.
- Ruby – Ruby is a powerful, dynamic and object-oriented programming language. It was developed in the year 1993 by Yukihiro Matsumoto with the purpose of offering a balance between functional programming and imperative programming. This greatly scalable language is mainly recognized for its simple and effective writable techniques.
It is used in the creation or programming of websites and mobile apps. For creative design and business software, this language is an excellent choice. This language is simple to learn and easy to write, so it is also often recommended for the beginners. The web servers where there is a lot of web traffic, mostly use Ruby. Twitter, which is a popular platform use this programming language.
Control Management System (CMS):
CMS or Control Management System is usually utilized by more advanced web developers. The main purpose of choosing to use it is to streamline development and allow the clients an easy way to maintain and update their website. Non-technical people can make changes to their website without having any technical language with the help of CMS. Two examples of CMS are WordPress and Joomla.
It is a computer application that allows features like publishing, editing, modifying content, organizing, deleting, etc. from a central interface. These systems provide procedures which help to manage workflow in a collaborative environment. CMS acts as the middleware between the database and the user through the browser.
Few advantages of CMS are:
- Simplifies the process of publication of web content to web sites.
- Content writers can also submit content without having any technical knowledge about uploading files or HTML.
- It helps to create a website quickly. As, a good CMS can take care of the numerous tasks that must be done by hand using a static website approach.