I love to learn about different opinions, views, lifestyles, ethics, and anything else that the mind can conceive.
How Can Disasters Be Beneficial in an Ecological Sense?
Natural disasters refer to environmental phenomenons that are destructive and occur naturally. Natural disasters include floods, volcanic activity, hurricanes, droughts, and earthquakes.
While some of these disasters can be predicted and prepared for, they cannot be completely avoided and may result in damage. Some disasters can be so devastating that it wipes out human life in some areas. Whatever the disaster may be, it affects societies both negatively and positively.
What Is a Flood?
A flood is a large body of water that becomes destructive and impedes the natural cycle of living organisms. A flood may result from long periods of heavy rain, or rivers or lakes have overflown their banks.
High temperatures can also cause flooding when it causes ice caps and snow to melt quickly. Heavy floods can be so disastrous that infrastructure is washed away, people and animals drown, and people can be stranded for long periods.
Advantages of a Flood
- For farmers and those in the agricultural sector, it helps them in the long run by providing nutrients to the soil it was lacking. This makes the soil more fertile and increases agricultural production.
- Nutrients are also added to rivers and lakes, improving the health of fish.
- There may be a relocation of fish and organisms living in water bodies and improve the ecosystem.
- New predators and prey are introduced to areas, balancing the aquatic population.
Disadvantages of a Flood
- The loss of lives, vegetation, and infrastructure means there will be fewer people in the labor force.
- Less agriculture will be available for locals and exportation.
- Fewer businesses can contribute to the economy of the country.
- There will be mass dislocation of people, many of whom may be left homeless and jobless. To fill this gap, the government will have to spend more money.
- The country may seek assistance from foreign countries to supply food and materials to clean and replace infrastructure. While some countries will assist freely, some will charge for their efforts, putting the country in debt and at an economic loss.
While there are a few benefits to floods, there are a few more for volcanoes. A volcanic eruption emits hot magma, ash, and lava. Volcanoes can result in other natural disasters such as earthquakes, tsunamis, and floods.
Advantages of Volcanoes
- After a volcanic eruption, the soil becomes rich due to the nutrients from the volcano. Precious stones and gems, once deep within the earth, are brought to the earth's surface and will contribute significantly to the country's economy.
- Some valuable emissions from volcanoes are pumice, opal, gold, mercury, and metals.
- It also releases good chemicals into the atmosphere. Chemicals such as carbon dioxide and hydrogen contribute to the water cycle.
Disadvantages of Volcanoes
- People and animals in the area are under threat and must be evacuated.
- Evacuation places a dent in the socioeconomic factors of a country mainly because it requires the efforts of the government and social groups to make sure that individuals receive shelter.
- Families may be separated, and buildings used as shelters will not be available for regular use.
- The eruption of a volcano releases large amounts of smoke and dust that may form dust clouds. Dust clouds will restrict the amount of light available to plants and animals, resulting in less food and more lives being lost.
Many lives are lost every year in the Caribbean due to hurricanes. Hurricanes are a type of cyclone that consists of heavy rain and extreme winds.
Advantages of Hurricanes
- The wind will cause topsoil to be distributed to areas in which it is lacking.
- The property value and living conditions in some areas will improve through the redevelopment of infrastructure.
- Hurricanes help to bring people together as they help each other in the aftermath.
- They lower the average temperature for a certain amount of time after the storm.
- Hurricanes can help build up the coastal areas of islands, making the island wider.
Disadvantages of Hurricanes
- The worse part about hurricanes is the destruction of infrastructure and loss of lives, vegetation, and livestock.
- Many hurricanes cause floods, which can wash away homes and people.
- Strong winds can destroy large trees and buildings or use objects as missiles that can cause significant damage.
- The loss of life resulting from hurricanes means the labor force will be lessened.
- The destruction of vegetation and livestock means countries will have to source more food from other countries.
The Social and Economic Repercussions of Natural Disasters
In all instances of natural disasters, the social and economic aspects of a country will be negatively affected.
The redistribution of the population will affect the country negatively as overcrowding may become an issue. It may lead to increased illnesses and social problems. Families will be separated, disrupting the socialization of many. Jobs will be lost, and the economy will take a hit.
Countries will receive loans from various international institutions. However, this money should not only be used to repair damages caused by the disaster; it should also be invested in something that can produce great returns.
- What Are Some Benefits of Volcanic Eruptions? | U.S. Geological Survey
Over geologic time, volcanic eruptions and related processes have directly and indirectly benefited mankind. Volcanic materials ultimately break down and weather to form some of the most fertile soils on Earth.
- The Weather Channel | The Weather Channel
Although hurricanes can be largely destructive, they can bring a few benefits when they come ashore.
- Economic Recovery after Natural Disasters | United Nations
The destructive effects of natural disasters are felt more in poorer countries than in more prosperous ones.
- Positive Effects of Floods
People have come to regard floods as disasters in terms of lives lost and property damaged. Humans have altered the flow of natural waterways to meet their needs but with sometimes disastrous consequences. Though floods can be devastating to populati
Unknown on August 27, 2020:
M on August 26, 2020:
Robin Keseng on May 12, 2020:
Thanks so simple to understand. GOT my home work done.
unknown on March 23, 2020:
This is great
NoName on March 19, 2020:
reaaly helpful thanks
guest on February 05, 2020:
Unknown on January 28, 2020:
Thanks a lot! Really helped me on my honework.
baddar on January 08, 2020:
thanks, it is useful.
Thank you very much it was great and vital information on December 30, 2019:
Thanks it was great and vital information
love me now on December 06, 2019:
my teacher made us read this
E. on December 06, 2019:
This totally helped me with my science project, Thanks.
papi chulo on December 06, 2019:
thanks for the research
Moises on November 16, 2019:
Thanks helped in my research project.
j on October 30, 2019:
this is very helpful for my argument thank you
UWU OWO EAR RAPE on October 29, 2019:
I love your information thx alot
hilda on October 02, 2019:
priyanka nadar on September 26, 2019:
Very much thank
anusha on July 30, 2019:
firstname.lastname@example.org on July 17, 2019:
thank you for this useful knowledge
THANKS! on July 07, 2019:
This really helped me in my homework! ur the best
Hi on June 22, 2019:
Aditya Singh on June 14, 2019:
Thanks it helped me in my project
hey on June 09, 2019:
thank you so much
legend on May 22, 2019:
I got a A for this test. thanks
ash the rock on May 20, 2019:
IT IS A GOOD ARTICLE AND THE INFORMATION HELPED ME IN MY PROJECT.
Thanos on May 19, 2019:
lala on May 07, 2019:
anthony on April 17, 2019:
facts this helped a lot
caleb ruger on April 10, 2019:
Thank you for typing that Information really helped me with my collage project.
Abhit on April 09, 2019:
thanks a lot for this and it helped me in my project
loi renee fan on March 31, 2019:
ty so much the best website
Yourmom on February 28, 2019:
Thanks this helped me on my 48 page essay
Pratiksha singh baghel on December 23, 2018:
I like it too much it is very useful and it is in simple language.
Loi-Renee (author) from Jamaica on November 25, 2018:
Thank you. Glad you liked it.
Loi-Renee (author) from Jamaica on November 25, 2018:
You're most welcome Pili
chetan on November 24, 2018:
Diya on November 15, 2018:
Thanks it was helpful for my seminar
THANKS on November 13, 2018:
This help me so much thank you
Sanjana on November 11, 2018:
Thanks a lot this really helped me out in homework
Sunaina on October 27, 2018:
Thanks for giving such general knowledgw
shrey on October 24, 2018:
It helped me a lot in my research
Antje Ellynlee on October 11, 2018:
Thank u so much
Charlo on July 16, 2018:
Great!! Assisted me in my final exam preparations!
Nusaiba on June 29, 2018:
I actually win a national school debate with this
Thank u so much
lopa on June 23, 2018:
Johnny on May 31, 2018:
What event/disaster took place that cause a company to suffer loss or vice versa
Bum bum on May 19, 2018:
Thx for GOOD imformation! Every other website are trash
gouthami on May 13, 2018:
thanks helped me a lot in my school project
poopy but on May 09, 2018:
its kind of good
Bean on May 08, 2018:
I hope you have a goood day
your mom on April 30, 2018:
thx helped with home work
timmy on March 13, 2018:
floods are so destructive !
lol on February 27, 2018:
don't understand at all , sorry
ben on February 11, 2018:
Dharmik on January 30, 2018:
very helpful in my project
Eve on December 11, 2017:
what are some positive consequences?
Eggkid on December 05, 2017:
Eggkid80 on December 05, 2017:
Thanks for helping me on my report.
Jay on November 02, 2017:
I like the facts
Aa Lava on October 30, 2017:
I didn't get any BENEFITS of natural disasters. You have to state the benefits
kghdsfnuyfgfjhgbfcy on October 17, 2017:
nice its better than others
Hellllllllooooooo on September 08, 2017:
I like turtles
Macmillan M on June 19, 2017:
Thanks this really helped me on homework
Disha on June 19, 2017:
please give some more points on benefits of floods.
Kelly Galoome on May 08, 2017:
what are the advantages and disadvantages of environmental disasters??.not natural but environmental
xyz on April 23, 2017:
okay but i am expecting more information
Saniyah on April 20, 2017:
U r the best thanx a lot for helping me in my project on natural calamities
saiful on January 12, 2017:
great for my geography h/w
KFaith on January 05, 2017:
You pretty much ripped off (without citing) Science Online. Very disappointing. http://www.online-sciences.com/the-environment/the...
mark on October 24, 2016:
Sarah on October 21, 2016:
Blabla on September 15, 2016:
Add more info
alex on August 30, 2016:
sorry but there are inappropriate adds on the side
raju on January 18, 2016:
one of the best hub
fareen on July 23, 2015:
Ganga Bisht on July 20, 2015:
I am a teacher at govt. School mandal my son anshumaan bisht liked it.
tuaneaziba benriche on March 16, 2015:
loi Renee hit d points I need on The head,making things easy to outline very Well, you just make me to get (A) IN MY COURSE under civil engineering,I appreciate, thanks
Loi-Renee (author) from Jamaica on November 27, 2014:
You are most welcome L1v. I am glad I could help. Hope your project went well.
Akkulung Apang on September 19, 2014:
Nice.. Got some knowledge about about natural disaster
Dennis Thorgesen from Beatrice, Nebraska U.S. on June 08, 2014:
All aspects of life can be bad in the short term and good in the long term. Water is one of our most precious commodities. Floods in my local area always help the trees and crops grow better the following year.
I remember seeing 11 foot tall corn a year after a flood when in normal years they rarely reach 7 ft.
L1v on January 28, 2014:
Helped a lot for the project in working on . Thumbs up! :)
iguidenetwork from Austin, TX on April 25, 2013:
I'm fairly surprised that a hurricane and flood also offer a lot of benefits. I learned a lot of from this hub. Very informative. :)
nitin punia on June 01, 2012:
Sheila Brown from Southern Oklahoma on February 21, 2012:
Very interesting hub. Very good information and love the videos. Vote up and interesting! Have a great day! :)